IGNORED

midi module or synthesizer connected to the TI-99/4A

Dexter

Now that things appear to be all figured out, and to alleviate confusion, I believe that NanoPEB users would benefit from a PDF file with graphics and detailed explanation showing all the different cable configurations required for MIDI, CFHDX or anything else that might require a specific hookup.

A newbie might run for cover rather than attempt any of this due to sheer confusion. Seriously, I've known people over the years new to things that followed directions to the letter, but still screwed things up simply because the documentation did not specify that the numbered pinouts were referring to the pins on the cable they were making and not the unit they were hooking up to as shown in a graphic.

• Like 1

Now that things appear to be all figured out, and to alleviate confusion, I believe that NanoPEB users would benefit from a PDF file with graphics and detailed explanation showing all the different cable configurations required for MIDI, CFHDX or anything else that might require a specific hookup.

Certainly a good idea, but a bit premature in my opinion. We have not yet figured out the other lines and how they can/cannot be used. The nanoPEB manual says that DTR can also be used (and by implication, DSR). Like I said somewhere above, I will not be able to check it out until I get near my nanoPEB in a couple of weeks.

...lee

Certainly a good idea, but a bit premature in my opinion. We have not yet figured out the other lines and how they can/cannot be used. The nanoPEB manual says that DTR can also be used (and by implication, DSR). Like I said somewhere above, I will not be able to check it out until I get near my nanoPEB in a couple of weeks.

...lee

Agreed, though I think a preliminary cheat sheet could be made if Omega is offering. ;)

I don't recall seeing any activity on the DTR (or DSR) pins. It will take a bit of CRU poking to determine if there are any other signals available.

Jumpered 7&8, swapped the other 2 and hooked that puppy up. Works great! Is there a way to transfer midi files to the ti?

Those 2 swapped pins are mirror images of each other on the 5-pin DIN. I bet I goofed up looking at the male/female pinouts. I'll sort that out this week. I also want to figure out how to go the other direction so that you can play on the keyboard and record with the TI. I read about this somewhere, I just need to find the program and docs. (My MIDI cable for the PEB RS232 has the port connected to the RX pin along with a resistor from RX to ground.)

There are some disks of MIDI files. MidiMaster will convert SNF files for use with MidiMaster. You can play them, save them, and load them. The SNF files seem to use "/M" or "_M" to signify the type. Converted, saved MIDI files are stored as program image files (I do not think this was a wise choice).

Anyway, I am new to the MIDI stuff, so maybe Swim or anyone else who has used midimaster will chime in. There are some readme files in the 2.3 and 2.5Z disks that we should probably review, as they go into a few details about the format and requirements.

Agreed, though I think a preliminary cheat sheet could be made if Omega is offering. ;)

I don't recall seeing any activity on the DTR (or DSR) pins. It will take a bit of CRU poking to determine if there are any other signals available.

It could well be that Jaime meant RTS instead of DTR. It would make more sense had his statement in the manual said, “The only handshake signals supported are RTS and CTS.”

...lee

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Something still doesn't look right in that latest diagram. RS232 DB9, pin 5, should be ground as should RS232 DB25 pin 7. I'll have to make another pass, this time confirming that the pins are labeled correctly now that the cable connections are correct.

In the meantime, I've attached an updated Midi Master 2.5Z disk image. This one contains both the nanopeb version and an ubergrom UART version. Both programs now have a reference to their respective hardware version, to minimize future confusion.

MIDIMaster99-v25Z-standard-NANO AND UBERGROM.dsk

(Edit: it helps to click 'attach this file' :music: )

Edited by InsaneMultitasker

• 8 months later...

Ok so I built this, and it just hangs the nano i have 7-8 jumpered and midi 4 to rs232 5 and midi 5 to rs232 3 I try and play in midimaster and it just locks up and i have to power down the nano to get it to work right again.

Greg

Pretty sure you have the rs232 pins reversed. Try midi 4 to rs232 3, and midi 5 to rs232 5.

ok I had things wrong plus I had to go through the settings in the program and set it to port one, whatever you have saved in that DSK image isn't set to rs232/1 I got a couple notes out of it by importing music trying to find something that will play a song. Ahh the default delay needs to not be 0 :) ok that's playing now..THANKS!

Greg

Edited by arcadeshopper

I didn't modify the program, so if it defaulted to RS232/2, I suppose that could be edited somehow for the nano. I don't recall having to change any settings though that means little these days ;) Is the delay controlled by midi master or the mid file? (I don't know the answer)

Oh, are you using Bruce's version 2.5Z from post 87 or a different version?

Richard had some MIDI files that I downloaded or maybe he uploaded to either the Reef or Heatwave.

I didn't modify the program, so if it defaulted to RS232/2, I suppose that could be edited somehow for the nano. I don't recall having to change any settings though that means little these days icon_wink.gif Is the delay controlled by midi master or the mid file? (I don't know the answer)

Oh, are you using Bruce's version 2.5Z from post 87 or a different version?

Richard had some MIDI files that I downloaded or maybe he uploaded to either the Reef or Heatwave.

I bet you tried it with rs232/2 on the real TI last.. and yes the latest dsk image.. the delay is introduced by the default setting in the program setup 120 seems normalish.. I am messing with canon/m which is on one of the midi disks and its delay is 4900 of all things so its SUPER SLOW and its too huge to edit on the 4/a :)

Greg

I bet you tried it with rs232/2 on the real TI last.. and yes the latest dsk image.. the delay is introduced by the default setting in the program setup 120 seems normalish.. I am messing with canon/m which is on one of the midi disks and its delay is 4900 of all things so its SUPER SLOW and its too huge to edit on the 4/a :)

Greg

Can't you just adjust the speed from the midi master screen? Sounds good in your video! :)

Yes but it is super slow hold arrow and it increments or decrements one at a time. Restart the song and it goes back to the set rate.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Remind me to look at that sometime later. I'm thinking an easy solution is to allow for larger inc/dec increments, such as using a modifier (shift/ctrl) to jump by 10 or 100. That would allow much better control than the single value keypress. As for the starting value, is that MidiMaster set rate or the song? If it is the song, you could probably sector edit that value.

Remind me to look at that sometime later. I'm thinking an easy solution is to allow for larger inc/dec increments, such as using a modifier (shift/ctrl) to jump by 10 or 100. That would allow much better control than the single value keypress. As for the starting value, is that MidiMaster set rate or the song? If it is the song, you could probably sector edit that value.

That'd be great its in the song or default rate is set in the program setup. I ended up setting the rate on the pc and copying it over. the geneve rate is 2.5 the 994a rate so I set it to that.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk