IGNORED

PRGE (Portland Retro Gaming Expo) - Oct 20-22 in 2017

Lathe26

• 3 weeks later...

I booked at the 'Inn at the Convention Center'. It is cheap and across the street from the Convention Center.

It is clean, but not classy like the 'Hotel Eastlund' (also across the street), but I am only sleeping there anyway, so who cares.

$530 for Oct 19 -23. 4 nights. $115 a night plus taxes.

Edited by SoulBuster
  • Like 2

If you plan to only stay a couple days for the Expo or you plan to buy a huge pile of loot, get a hotel on the east side of the river near the Oregon Convention Center.

If you plan stay longer and check out the city, get a hotel on the west side of the river in the downtown area. There are more walking distance restaurants, shops, etc. Portland's streetcar/lightrail service is great and drops you off right next to the Convention Center on the days you need it.

My wife and I prefer to stay at the Crystal Hotel on the west side of the river. It is connected to McMenamin's brewery so the restaurant has both great breakfast and dinner food. They also have a soaking pool in the basement (wonderful after a long day of standing on the convention's concrete floor). However, only the queen-mattress rooms have their own bathrooms so book early (double-mattress rooms have communial bathrooms, though there are many per floor).

https://www.mcmenamins.com/crystal-hotel

This advice is free; remember that you get what you pay for. ;)

• Like 3

I've said this on the podcast a couple of times and on the forums too but the Hotel Eastlund was awesome and super close. I never once had to use the horrible bathroom of death at the show. Lol!

Mike, great to hear you're thinking of going. :)

Here's the short answer: Portland has whatever type of hotel you want.

• Super nice and next to the Convention Center, go with Hotel Eastlund
  • Cheap and near the Convention Center, go with Motel 6
  • Eclectic with great breakfast / dinner and a soaking pool in the downtown area, go with Crystal Hotel
  • Hipster, local bands, and $200 romance packages with "toys" for those surprise visits by CMart or Rev, go with Jupiter Hotel

... and there are plenty of other hotels as well.

• Like 4

I used hotel points to stay that the Crowne Plaza, and I'll probably do that again this year.

This picture shows the closest hotels:

attachicon.gifhotel near convention center.jpg

I liked the Crowne Plaza too, walking distance to the Expo and a Liquor Store and legalized Marijuana shop on the way back!

For the record I did not stop at either of those! Just kidding.....not really! Dale :) :thumbsup:

I liked the Crowne Plaza too, walking distance to the Expo and a Liquor Store and legalized Marijuana shop on the way back!

For the record I did not stop at either of those! Just kidding.....not really! Dale :) :thumbsup:

It was a little weird seeing all the marijuana stores in Portland. It was even weirder seeing cmart and lathe in the alley beside them doing questionable acts.

• Like 2

It was a little weird seeing all the marijuana stores in Portland. It was even weirder seeing cmart and lathe in the alley beside them doing questionable acts.

No weirder than seeing what you and Don were doing to those donuts. ?

• Like 2

I know, right? Doing the 2nd act of Les Miserables in socks and sandles... very questionable.