IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2017 (Season 10)

To add:

TI-99/4A:

Computer Math Games VI (40 minutes)

Played the Baseball MiniGame with the boy today. He had a good time. Really, all things equal, it is simply a game of random chance of your addition and multiplication skills are any good.

I think the programmers missed an opportunity here because it is pretty well executed otherwise. The SPRITEs at engaging, and the mechanics are good. Just a "swing and a miss" on the underlying code.

20170423_134408_zpsrtrhqq7w.jpg

• Like 4

Not much eligible for me. Still playing Lego Marvel... almost at 100% I think. I was testing out a Jaguar controller I got in that garage sale lot yesterday, though, and ended up playing some Jaguar for a while...

Atari Jaguar

Iron Soldier - 50 min (It's not too bad once you get the hang of the controls.)

Tempest 2000 - 20 min (I've never been that good at this game. Maybe one day a rotary controller will fall from the sky into my lap.)

• Like 5

I'm feeling pretty lousy today so I'll be waiting until tomorrow to do the usual picture and write up for the week, but for now here's my household's play times for the past week:

Ineligible

Scooby-Doo! Night of 100 Frights (GameCube) - 109 minutes

Arcade

Defender (played on Midway Arcade Treasures for GameCube) - 9 minutes

Ms. Pac-Man (played on Namco Museum 50th Anniversary for GameCube) - 57 minutes

Robotron 2084 (played on Midway Arcade Treasures for GameCube) - 23 minutes

Xevious (played on Namco Museum 50th Anniversary for GameCube) - 42 minutes

Atari 2600

Encounter at L-5 - 111 minutes

Super Breakout - 54 minutes

Atari 7800

Centipede - 257 minutes

Double Dragon (emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 7 minutes

Ms. Pac-Man - 452 minutes

Xevious - 42 minutes

Game Boy

Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins - 38 minutes

Tetris - 20 minutes

PlayStation

Resident Evil: Director's Cut - 361 minutes

Tomb Raider - 47 minutes

Total Play Time This Week
1,596 minutes (26 hours 36 minutes) [1,487 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Atari 7800: 758 minutes

PlayStation: 408 minutes

Atari 2600: 165 minutes

GameCube: 109 minutes

Arcade: 98 minutes

Game Boy: 58 minutes

Edited by Jin
  • Like 5

Here's the summary for Week 16, running from April 17 - 23. We logged 7293 minutes of eligible play, playing 72 games on a total of 17 systems.

Top 10:

1. Lawnmower Man, The (SNES) - 1320

2. Tunnels of Doom [Quest of the King] (TI-99/4A) - 520

3. Nuts & Milk (NES/Famicom) - 464

4. Ms. Pac-Man (Atari 7800) - 452

5. Henhouse (TI-99/4A) - 375

6. Resident Evil: Director's Cut (PlayStation) - 361

7. Card Sharks (C64) - 345

8. Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom (C64) - 296

9. Encounter at L-5 (Atari 2600) - 292

10. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 275

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Tunnels of Doom [Quest of the King] (TI-99/4A) - 520

2. Ms. Pac-Man (Atari 7800) - 452

3. Henhouse (TI-99/4A) - 375

4. Card Sharks (C64) - 345

5. Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom (C64) - 296

6. Encounter at L-5 (Atari 2600) - 292

7. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 275

8. Centipede (Atari 7800) - 257

9. Eric in Monsterland (TI-99/4A) - 160

10. Early Learning Fun (TI-99/4A) - 150

Top 10 systems:

1. TI-99/4A (1808)

2. SNES (1320)

3. Atari 2600 (861)

4. Atari 7800 (803)

5. C64 (697)

6. NES/Famicom (532)

7. PlayStation (408)

8. Amiga (176)

9. BBS Door Games (150)

10. Arcade (131)

Week 16 not only sends The Lawnmower Man back to #1, but makes it our #2 game of all time, passing Christmas Carol to claim the salutatorian spot with 14,118 minutes logged to date. Meanwhile Tunnels of Doom and the TI-99/4A hold court at the top of the other two charts.

In other news, Xevious for the Atari 7800 joins the 1000-minute club this week in spot #280, with 1010 minutes logged over the past 8.5 years of the tracker. (Yep, it all started on October 19, 2008, so that's eight-and-a-half years so far!)

• Like 7

Where to start....

I began by playing some Atari 2600 games on my iMac G3 in the "Action Pack" packages... I dont know whether to call these Mac ports of the 2600 games, or whether they are truly emulated. The gameplay was spot on, graphics and sound were excellent. Played the dog piss out of these games.

I then played a few HyperCard adventures which were pretty fascinating... I always loved HyperCard and still do. I am teaching my son how to build HyperStacks for his story designs and things like that. One was called ManHole... it was a bizarre picture adventure with black and white graphics only. Sounds were creepy, and the game itself was very surreal.

Also played one called Haunted House. THIS one will likely give my 8 year old some bad dreams. Just a freak show of someone's nightmares crammed into a HyperStack. Truly awesome...

I played the Mac version of Oregon Trail from start to finish... that was a trip. :) Very very different from the Apple version, and not necessarily in a good way... Just very different.

Lemmings... that one got a crap ton of play time... got through level 29 without having to restart a level... :D Such an amazing game.

My TI stuff is always there, but the Mac took my heart away this week with some real good programs. I will post full times tomorrow, but I wanted to get a ruling on the Action packs on the Macintosh... whether to call them ports or emulation.

:) gracias!!

Edited by Opry99er
  • Like 5

Since I doubt I'll get anymore Classic gaming in here's my times for the week

3DO

Crash N Burn - 10min

Shockwave - 25min

Steller 7 Draxon's Revenge - 30min

Sega CD

Battle Frenzy - 140min

Bouncers - 15min

Silpheed - 165min

SNES

D Force - 20min

Wonderswan

Ganzo Jajamaru Kun - 20min

Lode Runner - 10min

• Like 6

ATARI 2600:

Jr. Pac-Man - 10 minutes

Masters of the Universe: The Power of He-Man - 60 minutes

Popeye - 75 minutes

Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle - 105 minutes

ATARI 7800:

Jr. Pac-Man - 20 minutes

Xevious - 20 minutes

EVIDENCES OF THE WEEK:

1) Masters of the Universe - 1 Million, for 2600 NEW HSC Season 6 (Cartoon Weeks)

2) Smurf - 197,900, new record for 2600 NEW HSC Season 6 (Cartoon Weeks)

3) Xevious - 211,110 for 7800 HSC 2017 to let JIN win intentionally :-D :grin: :-D :grin:

post-24681-0-83240400-1493556277_thumb.png

4) Jr. Pac-Man for 7800 HSC 2017 (with Plus Mode available)

post-24681-0-14310500-1493556362.png

• Like 5

Arcade:

Frogs - 5 min.

Volfied - 7 min.

Atari 2600:

Maze Crazy - 3 min.

Save Mary - 29 min.

Swordquest - 2 min.

ZX Spectrum (possibly uneligible):

Bresenham - 5 min.

A bit unusual week as neither of the systems I played are part of my collection, with the exception of the Atari Flashback Portable of course, which though it is great is just an emulation machine, and my two broken Speccys which had me to stick to emulation whether I want or not. The two 2600 games with just a few minutes each were part of testing through which games would start on our club's A/V modded Atari 2600jr. I found that a lot of cartridges, in particular German pirate games would only produce garbage on the screen: solid colour patterns or B&W noise combined with the sound of a death metal band. Some of the original Atari carts (all PAL of course) would have similar problems, some start on second attempt. Perhaps the connector needs cleaning or something as I can't imagine that many cartridges being DOA. I don't know if the A/V mod (made by me) could have impacted functionality, but as some games are playable, I doubt it.

The arcade games were played at a retro gaming event: first Frogs by Gremlin which featured the colourful backdrop and made it a rather different experience, then followed by Volfied which is a Qix-like game I must admit I never had tried before. I notice it exists in a number of home versions, perhaps I'll try some of those later on.

Finally, on my four hour train ride to the event, I programmed another CSSCGC entry for the ZX Spectrum called Bresenham. I decided to not spend a lot of time play testing or improving the game beyond simplest possible, so eventually I spent some time actually playing my own game without trying to look for bugs or room for improvement. Thus I marked it as possibly uneligible.

• Like 4

Not a lot of action from me this week. Won an auction on Goodwillauctions for a PSOne, so I spent some time testing the games, controller, and memory card that came with it. Then I got a copy of Frogger for my 2600 so I spent some time with that. (The recent thread about the Frogger music made me want to get it.)

Frogger - 26 min (I never was great at Frogger, but always liked it. It's a fun game and runs great on the 2600.)

Playstation

Cool Boarders 3 - 5 min (This one is pretty scratched up. I couldn't get all the way through one downhill run before it froze on me. Tried it again with same results. Too bad really, because I figured I'd like this one more than the other one that came with the system.)

SnoCross Championship Racing - 11 min (This one is in almost perfect condition. I spent a little time going through the menus and tried out a couple of races. The controls will take a bit to get used to and I couldn't pull off any tricks on the jumps, but it may have been the race or race mode I was in. I probably won't put a whole lot of time into this one.)

Ineligible

Lego Marvel Superheroes - ??? (I didn't time it because I knew it wasn't eligible. I 100%'ed the game, but still have one achievement I can't unlock because it requires a second controller which I don't have.)

• Like 5

My times for the week:

Mac OS9:

Enduro-Action Pack (90 minutes)

Lemmings (330 minutes)

Oink!-Action Pack (20 minutes)

SeaQuest-Action Pack (50 minutes)

Sim City 2000 (180 minutes)

Wolfenstein 3d (80 minutes)

TI-99/4A:

Henhouse (50 minutes)

Shamus (45 minutes)

TI Trek (40 minutes)

Tunnels of Doom (290 minutes)

VCS:

Turmoil (30 minutes)

• Like 5

TI-99/4A Home Computer

Crossfire.......................................(10 minutes)

Parsec..........................................(10 minutes)

Sparkdrummer's Challenge: Rescue At AtariAge... (03 hours) (Trying to beat Airshack's high score without success)

Super TI Mario Brothers.........................(1/2 hour)

• Like 5

TI-99/4A Home Computer

Crossfire.......................................(10 minutes)

Parsec..........................................(10 minutes)

Sparkdrummer's Challenge: Rescue At AtariAge... (03 hours) (Trying to beat Airshack's high score without success)

Super TI Mario Brothers.........................(1/2 hour)

I love Crossfire!

• Like 3

Since I wasn't feeling too great last Monday and didn't get around to taking a picture or talking about the games played that week (thankfully I was still able to get my household's times posted though), this week's writeup is going to cover the past 2 weeks of gaming in my household. Let's do this thing! :D

Last Week's Picture

xVXhw5q.jpg

This Week's Picture & Play Times

kGSQcsG.jpg

Atari 2600

Masters of the Universe: The Power of He-Man - 94 minutes

Popeye - 127 minutes

Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle - 120 minutes

Atari 7800

Choplifter! - 46 minutes

Dig Dug - 123 minutes

Double Dragon (Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 32 minutes

Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest (Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 65 minutes

Frenzy! (Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 12 minutes

Galaga - 11 minutes

Ms. Pac-Man - 41 minutes

Joust - 116 minutes

Pac-Man Collection! - 123 minutes

Rampage (Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 18 minutes

Scrapyard Dog (Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 23 minutes

Space Invaders (Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 11 minutes

Xevious - 278 minutes

Game Boy

Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins - 92 minutes

Game Boy Color

Shadowgate Classic - 211 minutes

PlayStation

Tomb Raider - 181 minutes

Total Play Time This Week
1,724 minutes (28 hours 44 minutes) [1,724 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Atari 7800: 899 minutes

Atari 2600: 341 minutes

Game Boy Color: 211 minutes

PlayStation: 181 minutes

Game Boy: 92 minutes

The usually chart dominating gaming juggernaut that is the Sony PlayStation has taken the backseat to the humble Atari 7800 ProSystem in my household the last few weeks as I kept busy playing some of my all time favorite games, including Xevious for the Atari 7800 High Score Club, and the spousal unit discovered the joy (and occasional frustration) of starting her day off with some light gaming on the 7800 over breakfast. It all started about two weeks ago when the misses decided that she would try Ms. Pac-Man on the Atari 7800 one morning while she was waiting for her new copy of Pac-Man Collection! to come in the mail. She was always a much bigger fan of the original Pac-Man than Ms. Pac-Man, but Ms. Pac was all she had at the time so she thought she'd give it a go. Once I saw her playing Ms. Pac-Man I got all excited and decided to give it a play over breakfast too, and what followed ended up becoming a two week long high score competition between she and I in Ms. Pac-Man every morning over breakfast. For a while I was in the lead, that was until earlier this week when the misses spent a couple hours studying YouTube lectures on the exact behavior algorithms of all 4 ghosts and put that knowledge to good use by absolutely crushing my current high score of 78,290 with her score of 92,200. A good man know's when he's beat, so at that point I conceded defeat and declared her the winner. Gotta love it when your wife can kick your ass at video games. :lol:

Outside of the 7800 the past two weeks in gaming for me have involved trying mostly unsuccessfully to get myself motivated to finish Scooby-Doo! Night of 100 Frights on the GameCube (though I have been enjoying a few quick arcade games here and there on a couple GameCube compilation discs), doing a full play through of Super Mario Land 2 on the Game Boy, and working on playing through one of my all time favorite point-and-click adventures: Shadowgate Classic. Due to ongoing medical issues with my thyroid I wound up in the hospital for a day this week, so I had plenty of time to kill while stuck laying around in a hospital bed and—since I had the foresight to bring my Game Boy Color along with to the ER—Shadowgate Classic seemed like the perfect thing to fill it with. It's a very relaxing game to play, and it had been years since I last played it so I had forgotten the solutions to roughly half the puzzles; but that's alright by me since I'm appreciating the challenge of trying to figure them all out again.

As far as the misses' gaming activities for the past two weeks go, in addition to Ms. Pac-Man she also spent a fair bit of time on the 7800 playing Joust, Dig Dig, Choplifter!, and eventually Pac-Man Collection! as well when it arrived in the mail. She had never played Joust before this week and has been really enjoying the unique premise and bird-based combat action of the game. She spent enough time on Joust alone this last week that she's already blown past all my records in the game and playing a multiplayer game against her is just a recipe for a swift and merciless defeat. When she wasn't firing up the Atari 7800 over breakfast and a few times throughout the afternoon every day she also made some time (albeit a fair bit less than usual) for some of her old favorite PlayStation games, Resident Evil: Director's Cut and the original Tomb Raider. I think the last time she played RE: Director's Cut was around Halloween last year when she did a marathon of every Resident Evil game on the PlayStation, but it's probably been a good couple years since I saw her play the original Tomb Raider. It didn't take her long at all to breeze through Resident Evil: Director's Cut on Advanced mode last week, and this week she's just been making her way through Tomb Raider at a leisurely pace half an hour here and half an hour there in the evenings lately.

That should just about cover all the gaming news from around here for the past week, and next week looks to be not all that dissimilar. I've got Shadowgate Classic to keep puzzling away at, the misses still has a long way to go in Tomb Raider, and I have no doubt that we'll spend a whole lot of time having fun together on the couch... playing Atari 7800, that is. :P Until next time, best wishes and happy gaming to you and yours!

• Like 4

Here are my times for the past week (April 24th through 30th)...

Arcade:

Q*bert - 36 min.

Q*bert's Qubes - 48 min.

Atari 2600:

Air Taxi (WIP) - 2 min.

Ninja Wall Jump - 1 min.

Popeye - 10 min.

Pressure Cooker - 15 min.

Q*bert - 25 min.

Taxi Panic! - 3 min.

Online (non-eligible):

Gab Cab - 21 min.

Super Taxi - 3 min.

SIm Taxi Lotopolis City - 9 min.

Spar Wurstbudlchallenge - 6 min.

Taxi Trip - 2 min.

Taxi Rush - 3 min.

PC (DOS):

J-Bird - 31 min. in 2 sessions

This week I played many games, but not for a long time each.

Actually, I spent several hours drawing maps of Crazy Taxi: City Rush (mobile game), but I only did it watching Youtube videos and didn't actually play it because I still don't own a smartphone.

But inspired by this, I played many other taxi games on- and offline, but I didn't find any new ones that were particularly great. "Sim Taxi: Lotopolis City" is another part of the Sim Taxi series. In "Gab Cab" you only see a map and click on where your taxi should go next in sequence. I can't exactly remember what "Super Taxi", "Taxi Trip" and "Taxi Rush" were. In Spar Wurstbudlchallenge, which has got nothing to do with taxis, you play a meat salesman in a supermarket and prepare sandwiches and rolls filled wich sausage, pickles and sauces according to the customer's order which only appears for two seconds after which you have to remember the items you haven't selected yet.

I also looked for taxi games on the Atari 2600, and two actually have been started, but not completed. Air Taxi is a take on the C-64 game Space Taxi while Taxi Panic! is more comparable to Crazy Taxi, but in an overhead view. I considered how you could do a 3D taxi game on one of those limited systems... it could look a bit like Out Run, but with intersections added (where the area left and/or right of the street changes to the street color) where you can turn left or right. To make things easier, the road could be divided in sections which can only be one type of road at a time... either a straightaway, left turn, right turn, upward hill, downward hill or one of three types of intersection (crossing / left turn / right turn). I think this should be manageable even for an 8-bit system.

While trying out new Atari 2600 games, I also tried "Ninja Wall Jumper" which looks interesting, but didn't hold my attention for too long.

Then I played the PC game "J-Bird" for a while, which is a clone of Q*bert, and surprisingly on only the 2nd attempt I reached a very high score of over 100,000 points. Encouraged by this, I also played the arcade original Q*Bert. This made for a 36' game in which I reached Level 8-4. Then I also tried the Atari 2600 where I managed to roll the score. Finally I played the arcade game Q*Bert's Qubes, but didn't do so well on that one. However, encouraged by this success, I also played Popeye and Pressure Cooker on the Atari 2600 (I think one game each).

• Like 5