IGNORED

Season 6 - The New HSC - Week 17/18 = Homebrew Heyday!

S.BAZ

BONUS: I would make a story driven game, kind of like Hunchy, but with a bit more than just jumps and avoiding enemies, I would try and implement boss battles into the mix and maybe even have a very well hidden easter egg in it, like in adventure. idk, I don't have a very creative mind, but something like that

irata-story8.jpg

If I was going to make an Atari 2600 homebrew game, I would port M.U.L.E. from the Atari 800. It is probably the best multiplayer stock-market game on any video game system, and arguably the best multiplayer game of all time. I have done some toying around with DASM, but haven't examined the DCP+ kernel enough to determine if the game is even feasible. Luckily, someone has already disassembled the game for the most part.

http://bringerp.free.fr/RE/Mule/reverseEngineering.php5

Edited by CapitanClassic
  • Like 1

Unless otherwise noted by S.BAZ, who has the final word, Oystron MUST BE PLAYED on Atari 2600 VCS, using your console or Stella Emulator.

By 2600 HSC Rules:

"...please stay away from "questionable" emulation, such as DCStella (as it does not seem to run at full speed) as well as the 10-in-1 joysticks with Atari games, the Atari Flashback, or the Intellivision collection CD's and similar commercial products. Usually these games are not emulated properly (or, in fact, completely rewritten!), which leads to slightly different gameplay and different scoring. Also, you have to play the actual 2600 version for your score... scores from (for example) the 5200 or ColecoVision port will not count. However, if these options are easier for you, then it may be worthwhile to practice with these games before taking a real run on an actual system or emulator."

Well if thats the case, I'm out for this round. But I seem to recall being allowed in a previous season to play a game on something other than my actual Atari.

Bonus (if allowed): I think we need an updated/better version of golf.

Edited by RJ

wall jump ninja - 61

finally found out what the ninja bonus is, also, I was so close to 1st :(

lead - 933

still don't really like this game, I find the movement of the enemies to be a little odd, mostly in the dodge level.

oystron - 3130

honestly, I don't even know how to win or lose at this game, all I know if pink squares give points :D

post-52670-0-57175200-1494955615.png

post-52670-0-76055100-1494955624.png

post-52670-0-54387500-1494955628.png

Oystron on the GBA Activision Anthology OK to play?

We've accepted scores from the PS2 Activision Anthology, which uses emulation. I read that the GBA collection has its own 2600 emulator & uses the original binaries. I haven't played it but I hear a couple of the games run a little slow. However, not all emulators play at precisely the same speed anyway, and we do allow PAL scores as well, which often run at a different speed from NTSC. So as long you play using an emulator with the original roms, I would say sure why not, let's accept it!

The rules do request that we stay away from "questionable" emulators though, so please use your discretion to decide if the GBA anthology has good emulation. Any input from other members about this collection is also welcome :)

Edited by S.BAZ

The rules do request that we stay away from "questionable" emulators though, so please use your discretion to decide if the GBA anthology has good emulation. Any input from other members about this collection is also welcome :)

I own the Activision Anthology cartridge for the GBA as well and I've never noticed any inaccuracies in the games compared to playing them on original hardware. Maybe I'm just not observant enough to notice little bits of slowdown here and there, but I've never had any issues with any of the games in the compilation that I've played so I'd be totally fine with letting someone participate with it.

I also feel like kind of a dick for badgering RJ for score pictures last week, so whatever gets him playing this week is fine by me. :)

• Like 2

Apology accepted, Jin!

Yes, I think I DID use PS2 Activision Anthology for a game, may have been Beamrider? Or Frostbite before I owned the cartridge.

So yeah, it's not like I'm anywhere near winning it all, there's no reason for me to cheat at these games, IIRR I'm ranked in the bottom half of the HSC leader board. I'm not rising to the top anytime soon. I just enjoy playing, & making time to play Atari, if I can squeeze it into my schedule.

& was recently considering selling my kids' 2 DSLites & games, but I should keep one for the Activision Anthology when the contest calls for a game I dont have on Atari. & if I keep one, I should keep both, b/c the Atari & Namco Museum collections let you llnk up for multiplayer (Pac Man, Warlords, Combat 2, etc)

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1

I also feel like kind of a dick for badgering RJ for score pictures last week, so whatever gets him playing this week is fine by me. :)

I think "dick" is a bit harsh. You were just expressing your opinion. Nothing wrong with that.

For the record I have no problem with RJ playing on the Activision Anthology collection. Well, unless he beats me. Then there will be hell to pay.

• Like 1

We've accepted scores from the PS2 Activision Anthology, which uses emulation. I read that the GBA collection has its own 2600 emulator & uses the original binaries.......Any input from other members about this collection is also welcome :)

I'm playing Beamrider on it right now. Tried Megamania and H.E.R.O. as well. They do appear to play significantly slower compared to on a real 2600.

Hmm that's weird, the high score save on GBA AA says my Oystron score is 3460, but my above pic clearly shows 3480...

I also tried HERO & Megamania, HERO is about half-speed as the actual cart, Megamania seems ok.

post-1754-0-73851700-1495067163_thumb.jpg

Edited by RJ

LEAD on PAL Mode, Default Settngs and Difficulty B/B 2,500

post-24681-0-02313900-1495073396.png post-24681-0-11994200-1495073421.png

Just to be honest, I changed the emulation settings to European Standard - PAL and framerate 50FPS.

Normally I set Color Format to NTSC to play Atari games - not only 2600, but also 5200 and 7800.

The framerates which I CAN use for emulators in general are 50 and 60 frames per second, which correspond to nominal frequency (50/60 Hertz).

Edited by oyamafamily