IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Rob speaks truth. This screams of another Coleco Chameleon fiasco. Why crowdfunding? Does the current Atari not have enough cash to fund this thing themselves? This screams that they don't have a lot of confidence to stand behind the product themselves. Also, who exactly is the target audience for this? Diehards like us use real hardware and like real carts. The casuals will have the flashbacks and now throw the possibility that the Retron 77 will fill that in-between niche and I can't understand who exactly this thing is for.

As Bill hinted initially, this product is not targeted at die-hard 2600 fans looking to play classic games. The flashbacks and emulation have saturated that market. I would expect an Ouya/Nvidia Shield TV type device that has the ability to play downloaded original games as well as newer mobile games. In terms of cash, I am 99% sure that Atari does not have the money to produce it themselves. People are smacking down rendered images as if they have asked you to already fund something. They are just being transparent. I think they also have a much easier path to hardware than the Retro VGS, etc. as they are going with a more modern and simple price of hardware. What it comes down to is the software and that remains to be seen.

I subscribed to this Forum just to show you the following Video.

Its the first reactions to the reveal of the pictures for the two Boxes from Yesterday.

Have fun :-)

And please don't misunderstand this Video. I am very happy to the announcement of the Ataribox and can't wait for it.

But it just describes the reactions of the People to the first Pictures. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q25X2mvcTFk

Edited by alexkeaton

I subscribed to this Forum just to show you the following Video.

Its the first reactions to the reveal of the pictures for the two Boxes from Yesterday.

Have fun :-)

And please don't misunderstand this Video. I am very happy to the announcement of the Ataribox and can't wait for it.

But it just describes the reactions of the People to the first Pictures. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q25X2mvcTFk

"This video contains content from NBC Universal, who has blocked it on copyright grounds."
  • Like 1

Atari was a pretty big deal in the UK, back in the day. The 2600 was very popular. And for quite sometime, the Atari ST outsold the Commodore Amiga. The Lynx did pretty well here. The 7800, 8-bit computers and Jaguar pretty much flopped.

So, us Brits had bit time for Atari lovin', in between our tea and crumpets.

• Like 1

Actually, if the Atari Box is based on the same chipset as the PS4, then it could definitely be called the Jaguar 2.

I am strongly thinking that it will have a AMD based system on a chip.

Why I say that is there is one more design win that AMD have yet to talk about in detail.

So it would not surprise me if the Atari box had that AMD SoC.

The video is a classic SNL bit with Bill Murray and Steve Martin.

Atari's "marketing" is similarly old-school. In the days of Electronic Gaming Monthly, perhaps you could get away with nothing but a console shell and some tantalizing rumors. That was 25 years ago, and the market is full, and information spreads quickly. Showing a cute box isn't even the first step anymore, ESPECIALLY when everyone knows you're crowdfunding and probably don't have the resources to do it right.

• Like 3

I get being cautious, but there has got to be a little excitement and optimism left. Those are two of the things that keep my interest and wallet in this hobby.

While I'm not clearing a spot for this system on my shelf yet, it seems a lot of people on this site are pissing on this fire before it truly sparks.

I understand there are a lot of things that need to go into a good system, and we haven't seen any of it yet. But at least these guys realize the woodgrain, the black Vader, and the ribbed top are iconic, and they are going in that direction. We have a couple of modeled pics, that's it. But at least they are great modeled pics.

The video is a classic SNL bit with Bill Murray and Steve Martin.

Atari's "marketing" is similarly old-school. In the days of Electronic Gaming Monthly, perhaps you could get away with nothing but a console shell and some tantalizing rumors. That was 25 years ago, and the market is full, and information spreads quickly. Showing a cute box isn't even the first step anymore, ESPECIALLY when everyone knows you're crowdfunding and probably don't have the resources to do it right.

Personally speaking this is all we got for the Xbox one X (aka project Scorpio) for a few months apart from rumors and the like.

It was not until E3 2017 that we got the specs and what it actually looked like.

It worked for Microsoft and it might work for Atari. But lets see where this goes.

I think that Atari is being faster at rolling out information about their console.

Edited by HeadClot

I am strongly thinking that it will have a AMD based system on a chip.

Why I say that is there is one more design win that AMD have yet to talk about in detail.

So it would not surprise me if the Atari box had that AMD SoC.

AMD had talked about a design win a couple years back that everybody assumed was going to be for Nintendo's Switch. It wasn't. Could it be this? Who knows

No, Atari's marketing approach of "drip drip drip" information to keep people talking is completely in line with the modern way of marketing videogames. And it's working, It's getting mainstream coverage from places that normally don't cover Atari.

In the old days, you'd unveil it at CES, with confirmed titles, screenshots, etc. Because Magazines had a lead time of a couple months, you had to get all the info out at once.

AMD had talked about a design win a couple years back that everybody assumed was going to be for Nintendo's Switch. It wasn't. Could it be this? Who knows

I don't know why everyone is thinking so big with this, treating Atari like a powerhouse company. For better or worse, they are what they are. Limited resources, limited reach, etc., so temper your expectations accordingly. This in no way will be competitive with PS4, Xbox One, or even Switch. It's a niche product that may or may not be able to carve out a tiny market segment of its own. Previous comparisons to Ouya and Nvidia Nvidia Shield TV were apt and that's probably its ceiling in terms of the maximum potential of its popularity/reach.

• Like 9

Three things will sell this over everything else.

1. Content and games. People would possibly be interested in this as a classic gaming device. I hope that content can be added and that emulators are available to play classic games. I don't mind paying a reasonable price to play classic games.

2. Price of this console needs to be on the value side. This wont complete with the other consoles. As a huge fan of other micro consoles, this definitely interests me and will buy it if the price is right. I am like many others here who are cautiously awaiting more information. Agree that they really need to have someone representing the company here on the forums taking input.

3. Marketing and availability. This product needs to be available to the general public in stores that everyone shops at. I have already gotten a few questions from friends who have heard about this who are not gamers. The last time that happened to me was when the NES classic was announced.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/michaelarzt

-Responsible for launch of new connected device, wearables and hardware division that will reinvigorate Atari’s legacy as a creator and marketer of fun and innovative consumer products.

-Oversight of new product development, marketing, OEM & strategic partnerships and associated tasks.

-Building Atari Connect to be a premier game, consumer product and pop-culture lifestyle brand for gamers and everyone who loves fun and useful devices and apps.

-Actively hunting for, and open to, any new and innovative connected product ideas worthy of the great and beloved Atari name!

Here's what I'm talking about. Bill, thoughts? Have you heard the name "Atari Connect" before?

I don't know why everyone is thinking so big with this, treating Atari like a powerhouse company. For better or worse, they are what they are. Limited resources, limited reach, etc., so temper your expectations accordingly. This in no way will be competitive with PS4, Xbox One, or even Switch. It's a niche product that may or may not be able to carve out a tiny market segment of its own. Previous comparisons to Ouya and Nvidia Nvidia Shield TV were apt and that's probably its ceiling in terms of the maximum potential of its popularity/reach.

All the more reason to use an SoC design such as AMD Jaguar. It's less work than creating your own custom chipset, it's been proven in other consoles, it's at least 5 years old so it won't be expensive. I believe it's been said it will be PC-based so that would be the way to go. If it's not PC based, I'd expect them to go with ARM

As for why people are thinking big:

it's been said its not retro, that its PC-based using modern hardware.

Edited by zzip

Three things will sell this over everything else.

1. Content and games. People would possibly be interested in this as a classic gaming device. I hope that content can be added and that emulators are available to play classic games. I don't mind paying a reasonable price to play classic games.

Imagine if Atari made the Atari Box not only run Steam games, but in the same style as Sega Forever, run 2600, 5200, 7800, Atari ST and Jaguar games. Well..........

post-6065-0-07171000-1500388726.jpg

• Like 1