IGNORED

Look how cool this is with Syncalc

Marius

Ok, the data is invisible (lol I do not want to share everything)... but hey... as some of you people probably know is that I run next to my job as a music teacher, also my own private music school with quite some pupils. Because it is official, the Dutch TAX expects me to have a decent and accurate business administration.

Years ago I decided to move it to the atari 8bit. It is a great way to make something boring into something pretty cool. It's great to have this on the little atari, and it also turns out to be a pretty safe and stable way of doing this: no distractions, no virus, no big brother is watching you and so on.

Yesterday I printed out everything for bookyear 2016 and it looked pretty amazing on my floor. I wanted to share it with you.

Printed on Star LC20, and created with the 1993 version of Syncalc. The entire administration fits on one SD disk.

Pretty cool eh?

post-14838-0-37075100-1502532303_thumb.jpg

• Like 21

Ok, the data is invisible (lol I do not want to share everything)... but hey... as some of you people probably know is that I run next to my job as a music teacher, also my own private music school with quite some pupils. Because it is official, the Dutch TAX expects me to have a decent and accurate business administration.

Years ago I decided to move it to the atari 8bit. It is a great way to make something boring into something pretty cool. It's great to have this on the little atari, and it also turns out to be a pretty safe and stable way of doing this: no distractions, no virus, no big brother is watching you and so on.

Yesterday I printed out everything for bookyear 2016 and it looked pretty amazing on my floor. I wanted to share it with you.

Printed on Star LC20, and created with the 1993 version of Syncalc. The entire administration fits on one SD disk.

Pretty cool eh?

You are brave man... indeed... 8-)))

• Like 1

To speed up things a bit I run syncalc + data disk from my IDE+ 2.0 harddisk. When everything is finished I copy the ATR to Abbuc-Sio2USB-stick and then I put the ATR on my Dropbox. Things are really safe that way. In the very worst case I could get the data back using an emulator. But I have enough a8 computers for this life (and probably for the upcoming three or four...)

Using atari 8bit -next to the fact that is very much fun to do of course- has really benefits above modern computers.

I also like to write short stories (my biggest wish is to write a book some day) ... and all my writing is done or on a real mechanical old fashioned typewriter, or on The Last Word on Atari 8bit. I get distracted very easily and that happens seriously a zillion times a day when I have to focus on something. Using a8 helps me a lot. The program does do one thing at a time, and that is goooood. No Facebook or E-mail or other 'fun' nearby. Sure starting a game on a8 is easy as that, but still... simply that cursor waiting for my txt and nothing more than that, I love it.

It must be said: The fabulous word processor WP 5.1 had this same benefit. Something I consider buying an old PC 8088xt or 80286AT or so and install just Word Perfect for this goal... but then I think again: The Last Word does everything I need... why bother with another computer.

• Like 4

The Syn series are amazing stuff and I totally understand you about the distraction.

Yeah... I would not call it a disorder, but I have to be honest... I suck in staying focussed on my task. A8 is really a good help, and even then ... I should ban smartphone and laptop out of this room too. My a8 setup runs stand alone. No sio2PC/Mac or Sio2BT connected. It's just the 800XL, the 1050 diskdrive, the IDE+, The Abbuc-Sio2USB, the Atari 850 and the STAR LC20. Unfortunately the Brother Laser Printer died... although I must say that a real dot matrix printer fits the nostalgia experience better anyway.

Yeah... I would not call it a disorder, but I have to be honest... I suck in staying focussed on my task. A8 is really a good help, and even then ... I should ban smartphone and laptop out of this room too. My a8 setup runs stand alone. No sio2PC/Mac or Sio2BT connected. It's just the 800XL, the 1050 diskdrive, the IDE+, The Abbuc-Sio2USB, the Atari 850 and the STAR LC20. Unfortunately the Brother Laser Printer died... although I must say that a real dot matrix printer fits the nostalgia experience better anyway.

I hear ya. I use a distraction free word processor for the same reason. Too easy to get off task with Facebook, twitter, browsing etc.

Pretty cool that you are using the old 8bit for real work in 2017 too :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Yeah... I would not call it a disorder, but I have to be honest... I suck in staying focussed on my task.

I hear ya. I use a distraction free word processor for the same reason. Too easy to get off task with Facebook, twitter, browsing etc.

This site is my distraction ;)

- Michael

• Like 3

That is very cool! I was just wondering if anyone ever moved from Syncalc to another computer platform and were able to convert the data format..

Nice that it's still usable!

I looked at the manual and see that Syncalc files can be saved in DIF file format. Only the data is placed in the DIF files so any formulas will have to be reentered. I know these can be read by Excel 2013.

Using DIF files I moved most of the data to LOTUS 1-2-3 but that hasn't been around for many years.

I decided to go retro on my spread sheet needs and decided to switch to Calc Magic for the Atari XE. I wrote about the fun I had in this blog entry. Not sure if this will be helpful with what you are thinking about doing.

http://atariage.com/forums/blog/572/entry-12696-going-retro-whats-the-dif/

• Like 1

I looked at the manual and see that Syncalc files can be saved in DIF file format. Only the data is placed in the DIF files so any formulas will have to be reentered. I know these can be read by Excel 2013.

Using DIF files I moved most of the data to LOTUS 1-2-3 but that hasn't been around for many years.

I decided to go retro on my spread sheet needs and decided to switch to Calc Magic for the Atari XE. I wrote about the fun I had in this blog entry. Not sure if this will be helpful with what you are thinking about doing.

http://atariage.com/forums/blog/572/entry-12696-going-retro-whats-the-dif/

Very info link and info - thank you! -- I'll have to fool around with some of this software on the 8bit - I was curious mainly for academic reasons, but I spent a lot of time messing around with VisiCalc, and the various Synapse software products as a kid because I was fascinated with numbers.. :)

I do believe my Dad used some of this software for home finance back in the day.. I *may* have recovered a few of those files - so now it looks like there may be a way I can send him an Excel file :)

Thanks again!