IGNORED

Super Nintendo Classic Edition - SNES Mini thread

Rev

I would imagine most people whether their reasons are personal or personal gain will buy one if they ever found it on the shelf somewhere at MSRP. I'm resolved to grab one or two more if I ever find them but I won't be going out of my way either for it. I'd like one for when my little girl is a few years older and more trained on games to move up from her NES Classic to this, and just another I can chop shop up with hakchi so I can leave the one I have unmolested. At the least just one for her would be fine either way.

People will do what they want ...and I really do understand "because we can," but even so ...

Going to the effort of finding one of these "rare" devices, only to hack it up into a limited, poorly supported RetroPie type device? Are these the same people who "don't have the time" to just flash a Pi? Certainly they're not the people who value the "official"ness of it.

It's like buying a really nice steak and throwing it into a food dehydrator to turn it into beef jerky.

If I find one of these (by walking into a store when I feel like it, not on some crazy Brickseek-fueled snipe hunt), I'm going to leave it stock. And I'll probably throw away the box.

Everyone is different! We love them all the same!

• Like 4

People will do what they want ...and I really do understand "because we can, but still ...

going to the effort of finding one of these rare devices, only to hack it up into a limited, poorly supported RetroPie type device? Are these the same people who "don't have the time" to just flash a Pi?

It's like buying a really nice steak and throwing it into a food dehydrator to turn it into beef jerky.

If I find one of these (by walking into a store when I feel like it, not on some crazy Brickseek-fueled snipe hunt), I'm going to leave it stock. And I'll probably throw away the box.

Everyone is different! We love them all the same!

https://youtu.be/SiEOA3AmSBs

Don't throw anything away. I'll take the box/manual/etc and whatever else you don't want. I could use a box for display and I'd hate to see it tossed in the trash. I'll pay for the shipping box and the actual shipping cost. :)

• Like 1

I think by now we should all (thankfully) realize it isn't as "rare" as thought-to-be, and that's a good thing. As predicted, it will eventually be found in garage sales, etc. But you just have to say "and what?" :lol:

Regarding RPi, I can only speak for myself and I have fully outfitted a Rpi3 from scratch.. so that aint me. Now one who values the "official"ness of it, THAT is me. But again I have to say.. and what? Nothing wrong with having a few an hacking one of them. :)

Don't throw anything away. I'll take the box/manual/etc and whatever else you don't want. I could use a box for display and I'd hate to see it tossed in the trash. I'll pay for the shipping box and the actual shipping cost. :)

I trashed the box that came with my AVS but am keeping the minis... 8)

I would imagine most people whether their reasons are personal or personal gain will buy one if they ever found it on the shelf somewhere at MSRP. I'm resolved to grab one or two more if I ever find them but I won't be going out of my way either for it. I'd like one for when my little girl is a few years older and more trained on games to move up from her NES Classic to this, and just another I can chop shop up with hakchi so I can leave the one I have unmolested. At the least just one for her would be fine either way.

What is the point of installing hakchi on it? Doesn't that just turn it into a laggy retropie/retroarch system? That's like buying a new car and putting in your old 8-track player.

• Like 1

What is the point of installing hakchi on it? Doesn't that just turn it into a laggy retropie/retroarch system?

I can't speak for RetroArch, but the other option is to use the stock emulator Nintendo provided. So, how the SNES Classic looks and performs out of the box is how it looks and performs if you stick with the built-in emulator after hacking it.

• Like 1

What he said, there is no laggy. If I did get one, and if I decided to add to it, it just would be using the built in (canoe) SNES emulator for SNES only. It's still a big IF as I already have a SNES and a Super Everdrive +DSP so it's not like a big deal either way. If I did find a second one, just like with the NES system it's going to my kid as she enjoys the stuff. SNES is a bit over her head right now so I'd store it for a time most likely until she had the skill to play it well enough without getting frustrated. Right now Kirby is fine but even Super Mario World confused her using the added face and top buttons vs just B+A on the NES titles.

I mean you could lag it I suppose, not the games, but the system menu if you bloat it out too much with games that it gets beyond its comfort levels of the design. It's still being worked on as the NES had that problem too. Originally it was happy with around 70 games and then would freak out or lock up until someone figured out how to do folders and things. SNES games are much larger than NES so a whole library or even half isn't possible, but once it's ironed out it should handle a good top100 or something more again using folders.

Retroarch/RetroPi I've not had a good relationship with so far. I've only attempted the PC version and it refused to handle my Neo Geo stuff and configuring it first time for some of the console type stuff was annoying and obtuse enough it was a put off. Due to that on Android I've gone around the back of it using non-retroarch style programs to run emulation+rom stuff.

• Like 1

That lineup of games would be wonderful. I think they would want to put Goldeneye in there, too ... if Star Wars could be (re)licensed, James Bond could be as well. Some Midway games like SF Rush would be neat to revisit, too.

N64 would be a little more complicated than what they've done with NES and SNES. It really NEEDS 4 controller ports to be fun, and it would be smart to redesign the controller to something a bit more functional for modern times. Offering support for Wii U Pro Controller, or better yet, Switch Pro Controllers would be smart. They could make a purple one and brand it as Wavebird 2, and then use it for the (inevitable?) GameCube Mini to follow.

• Like 2

I think Star Wars and Indiana Jones would be far easier re-licensed given Disney works with Nintendo and they own Lucasarts/games/film now. Bond is a nightmare that took years to finally iron out a crummy remake of the original on the Wii. If they could still get those parties again to agree great, but it isn't likely because MS is too full of sniffing their own farts to allow a Rare developed N64 game to re-appear on a closed up N64 system even if it would net them some money on the licensing of it.

As flojo also pointed out, you'd need to have 4 controllers because after the NES screw up you know people would scoop the lot of them for $50-100 a piece on the scalper market which would be damaging to Nintendo. They'd almost need to pack all 4 in but that would get you a closed HDMI box for over $100 and I don't see that as likely. Their game list seems fairly spot on for the top 10 but the others some obvious and some seem very lacking, but would they just cap it at 20? Konami has no presence in their list as even likely games outside of Bomberman and no Capcom...why? The by far largest supporters of the NES/SNES mini systems so far. Goemon, RE2, Hybrid Heaven, Mega Man and more, and what of Namco-NST(Nintendo) Ridge Racer? Those seem very likely over some of their maybes.

• Like 1

This is probably not a popular opinion around here, but I really thought the "Pixel Perfect" mode looked Great on my HDTV! Everything was just so crisp and tasty, ya know, although I'm probably comparing it to my early college years when all I had was RF and it looked crummy...I would've gone zonkers had I seen a picture like this back then :P

lol I guess. For me it gets a little hard to stick with it for long with how 'crisp' these images look on larger screens which were clearly designed for a little more blurriness on a CRT or something. Because you can see everything and it just becomes blocky lego heaven. :lol:

post-31-0-37843900-1508169573_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

lol I guess. For me it gets a little hard to stick with it for long with how 'crisp' these images look on larger screens which were clearly designed for a little more blurriness on a CRT or something. Because you can see everything and it just becomes blocky lego heaven. :lol:

I luv ma Legos. :D

• Like 1

I thought you meant Analogue NT until I checked my email ... yummm, seizure-inducing ad for an FPGA Super Nintendo! I think I might get that, especially if it can run other things, too.

https://www.analogue.co/

It will run all the original NT mini cores and at LEAST tg16 & genesis. (really hoping for neo geo personally that's such a money saver)

• Like 1

I thought you meant Analogue NT until I checked my email ... yummm, seizure-inducing ad for an FPGA Super Nintendo! I think I might get that, especially if it can run other things, too.

https://www.analogue.co/

Oh my... Looks like I might finally be able to eliminate the Framemeister!

Everyone should probably be selling your tinker toy nes/snes mini's and pre-ordering the Super NT... no brainer.

Why? I pre-ordered the Super NT, and am keeping all 3 of my snes classics and am modding one of them. :) (and before anyone says "retropie", I'll pull out my rpi3 w/ retropie on it.. or any other other emulation console/pc we all have).

The whole comparison-dissing thing falls apart on those here who just like to have as much vid stuff as we can possibly get. :lol:

I've ordered a black one, and two controllers to match. It's a little expensive, but compared to the AnalogueNT (twice the price, made of aluminum), and the Framemeister ($$$, made of unobtainium) it seems reasonable to me. All desire for the plug-n-play toys like SNES Classic Mini has vanished.

More here

https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/16/16481824/super-nt-super-nintendo-analogue

There's no Super NES forum on AtariAge. Maybe it's time?

• Like 1

Why? I pre-ordered the Super NT, and am keeping all 3 of my snes classics and am modding one of them. :) (and before anyone says "retropie", I'll pull out my rpi3 w/ retropie on it.. or any other other emulation console/pc we all have).

The whole comparison-dissing thing falls apart on those here who just like to have as much vid stuff as we can possibly get. :lol:

Haven't you read Console Wars? We are designed to pick ONE system, stick with it, love it, and defend its honor on the schoolyard forever! Everything else must be pissed upon.

That said, I'd probably buy a SNES Classic Mini if it weren't a PITA to do so. For the SuperNT, all I had to do is plunk down $200+ (shipping is $30, controllers are sold separately) and wait for six months! Simple as that.

• Like 2