IGNORED

Mini Arcade Alert!

simbalion

I just found the perfect accessory for the mini arcades!

hqdefault.jpg61a3he%2BjkML._UX385_.jpg

{Talk to your doctor to see if this is right for you. Do not drink if you have narcolepsy. When drinking do not drive or operate heavy machinery until you are fully awake. Walking, eating, driving or engaging in other activities while asleep, without remembering it the next day, have been reported. Should not be taken together with alcohol. Abnormal behaviors may include aggressiveness, confusion, agitation or hallucinations. The temporary inability to move while falling asleep or waking up, and temporary leg weakness, have also been reported. In depressed patients, worsening of depression including risk of suicide may occur. Alcohol may increase these risks. Side effects include next-day drowsiness, irritability, itchy earlobes, excessive eyelash growth, bleeding from the gums ears toenails and groin, inability to communicate, temporary vegetative state, loss of bowel control, walking death and sudden onset decomposition. Not for use by anyone currently being treated for hallucinations of large rabbits or walking playing cards.}

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 3

I know discussion has moved a little beyond the Bridge Direct mini-arcades, but I had a question. I purchased one for my wife's birthday and, while she loves it, it shuts off about 10s - 15s in. Almost certainly the demo mode still being active, despite her removing the little plastic strip from the slot in the left of the back of the unit. I'm assuming there is no fix for this short of opening it up or returning it? I'm assuming it is just a matter of getting two pieces of metal to make contact to neuter demo mode so I may open it up. Anyone done that so far? I appreciate any help (and yes, already sent Bridge Direct mail and asked a Q on Amazon (where I got this)). Thanks!

As you say, I expect it's a fault at the demo contact where the plastic tab was. I'd first reinsert the original plastic tab a couple times to see if you can jimmy it into the correct mode or contact. Then failing that, I might find something rigid, skinny and conductive to try and slide into that slot to see if that makes a complete circuit. You might try tin foil wrapped around the original tab. Not sure if the demo mode is a small button on the board, or a circuit contact opened with the plastic, so results may vary.

I purchased one for my wife's birthday and, while she loves it, it shuts off about 10s - 15s in.

I had my Pacman arcade mini-LCD game shut off once during gameplay. I parked in front of the pellet to wait for ghost so I could eat them, and it turned off before the ghosts came near me. :sad:

I think one shut off time should definitely be much greater than one minute, but some of these devices get aggressive with the idle cut off times to save battery.

As you say, I expect it's a fault at the demo contact where the plastic tab was. I'd first reinsert the original plastic tab a couple times to see if you can jimmy it into the correct mode or contact. Then failing that, I might find something rigid, skinny and conductive to try and slide into that slot to see if that makes a complete circuit. You might try tin foil wrapped around the original tab. Not sure if the demo mode is a small button on the board, or a circuit contact opened with the plastic, so results may vary.

Excellent suggestions! I also contacted Bridge Direct and they responded very promptly, asking me to send them the unit for a replacement.

I had my Pacman arcade mini-LCD game shut off once during gameplay. I parked in front of the pellet to wait for ghost so I could eat them, and it turned off before the ghosts came near me. :sad:

I think one shut off time should definitely be much greater than one minute, but some of these devices get aggressive with the idle cut off times to save battery.

Yeah, for some games one minute isn't nearly long enough. In my wife's Q*Bert game, however, she is actively playing when it shuts off (as demo modes do).

I found the Tiny Arcade at a Cracker Barrell store (restaurant).

They only had Galaxian and Space Invaders.

All of them would not "demo", with some having the "tab" and others without.

Made sure the two I picked worked and did not have a drained battery!

If I had to pick 2, it would be these cabinets.

Knowing each has all 4 games, I'll probably mod the Space Invaders and keep Galaxian stock.

Funny that they used to mod real Galaxian machines to play other games.

MAME will report "Donkey Kong" (Scramble hardware).

Cracker Barrell online store currently has pac man and space invaders in stock and on sale. I got both for $31.78 shipped. Just sayin. (On sale with code Fall25)

Great price! But how'd you wind up with that total? I just checked and it's $12.99 to ship two of these cabs. Also, only Pac-Man and Space Invaders seem to be available online. Strange they wouldn't have the other two, unless quantities are super limited or in store only.

We ate at the Cracker Barrel in Alexandria, LA and I bought a Pacman. They also has Space Invaders in stock but I didn't buy that one. Joystick is better than the monocrome one but the arcade game is still recreated for the display not emulated. The joystick is much better this time and is more responsive. Game remembers the last direction pressed as if you were still holding it down, ie tap "up" on the stick while moving right on the original, and pacman faces up but stops when hitting a wall. This version Pacman moves up at the first availab'e opportunity, as if the direction were still being pressed. The audio is clearly sampled, not emulated, and the engine is a bit slower with less aggressive ghosts. Difficulty/speed is more on par with NES port than with the arcade original, Also it makes sound effects during attract mode.

So it's clear the game has been ported to the ARM CPU rather than emulated. Gameplay wise it works great, pretty much a faithful port to the arcade, and is a huge improvement over last years monochrome, unless you grew up with Tiger / Game N Watch and demand they use period technology.

There's a clown on a facebook page trying to peddle these for $75 shipped with a dipswitch attached so you can play all four in one. One hell of a greedy markup for 30min or less worth of work and probably (generous) a dollars worth of wiring and a basic 4 pin dipswitch. I was thinking why not just pay the $5 more plus tax and own all of them at that rate as it's idiotic.

I scored all four Tiny Arcades at Toys R Us this evening. Seems they are the only place in my area carrying these games. Neat little games for what they are and the light up marquee is a nice touch. Basically, these are what I wish my two Hallmark Ornaments had been, fully playable games!

post-8339-0-01431000-1510016672.jpg

• Like 3

One hell of a greedy markup for 30min or less worth of work and probably (generous) a dollars worth of wiring and a basic 4 pin dipswitch.

I hate it when people make these assumptions, is it greedy, yea probably but if it was a buck and a half hour every asshat would be doing it ... it takes more work, time and money than just the raw material

again its not 70 bucks worth of work, but a lot of people seem to have this notion of "ill strip some network cable and toss it into a box and bam im a haxor!" which isnt quite true

Oh I know that. I have a good concept of what would go into it and I'm basing that 30min off of talking to a few people about it like Glen on youtube/facebook and others in a group based around those devices where that popped up. I've watched the DIY videos and basically you have about a dollar (plus shipping if not local for the switch) in parts an the soldering and cutting time to the back of the plastic can smoothly be done around 30min worth of time, maybe a little longer if you don't have good tools. That's the only reason I said that basing it off what I've seen and abilities. You're right though a lot of people will pop off over something and not get the time, part costs, and effort put into it.

The Mini arcade hack is basically a 4 port switch of your style choice, 5 pieces of wire, solder, and just carving out a hole in the back of your mini arcade and mounting the switch with glue or whatever you choose to finish the job. There are 2 rows of 4 spots on the board, depending on which game you buy a pair of them are bridged that triggers that game. Wiring up a ground and then 1 wire to each set back to a switch gets the job done. Then it's just a matter of cutting and securing the switch.

• Like 1