IGNORED

Anyway to calibrate a CX80 Trak-Ball?

Atari Nut

I have a CX80 that doesn't track correctly. Movement to the left especially is sporadic. The ball feels "rough" as you try to roll it to the left. Is there anyway to fix these things?

On a non-related note, I'm having issues creating posts in Microsoft Edge today. I can type the topic of the posts fine but in the body of the post, I can't type spaces. The page just jumps to the bottom.

On the CX80? I can't see any screws...that's why I figured they may be under the rubber feet. Where are they?

Ah sorry, yes sorry I was thinking CX-22 when I wrote that... I don't have a CX-80, but I did find this picture which shows where 4 screws posts are when viewed from the inside:

post-53052-0-51208000-1510646652_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

'feeling rough' = dirty rollers/balls/bearing with bearings needing lube. Lack of response with smooth operation = dirty/defective encoders, blowing them out wiping and clearing can help those as well.. just clean and blow out everything and make sure only bearings are lubed.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

Ok thanks...the screws are under the feet. The bearings are on the right side and bottom only. On the left side at about 10 o'clock, there is small wheel. That may explain why rolling to the left (9 o'clock) is rough...I'm not rolling square with the wheel. Looking at the pics, can you point out exactly where to lube?

post-48804-0-94486000-1510698877_thumb.jpg

post-48804-0-82043600-1510698884_thumb.jpg

So these are your rollers: - hopefully you can get in there to remove them temporarily.

post-53052-0-65677400-1510727260_thumb.jpg

And these are my rollers (CX-22): - your rollers may be similar

post-53052-0-31925500-1510727045_thumb.jpg

And here is one of my rollers: - and I drew in red where it rotates on, which is where I put a couple drops of 3-in-1 oil and work it in. Make sure to wipe off any if it gets on the outer or inner rims.

post-53052-0-51869500-1510727205_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nezgar

it doesn't bind as the ball is round, very hard and should be highly polished. The ball and the bearing move enough to prevent it 'binding' if clean the ball is polished and the bearing is free moving and properly lubed

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1