IGNORED

Old computer magazines

sometimes99er

This is turning into a really fun thread. You never know exactly what is coming next, but it's always cool stuff.

I appreciate you guys taking the time to scan and in many cases clean up the scans too. A lot of high quality goodies here, as well as stuff I've never seen before. -- THANKS! :thumbsup:

I've added this to my BEST threads blog entry.

• Like 2

This is an interesting advertisement ... here is the translation (I try to mimic the somewhat odd wording from those days):

Programmed for versatility

"Video computer" is what Texas Instruments calls its console with keyboard, slot for software modules and connectors for external devices (periphery). But let us first have a look at the "inner life" of the console:

One crucial aspect of using your video computer system should be the question of freely available memory capacity - the working memory. The space which one can work with is an outstanding 16 K Byte RAM on the TI99/4A that can be expanded up to 48 K Byte.

By using the SolidStateSoftware modules, memory is not "loaded", neither by transfering, nor by cumbersome reading: The CPU directly accesses the program modules!

Do not go for less than this capacity. Not for today - and certainly not for tomorrow.

Beyond that, the console contains a BASIC interpreter for your own programs, as well as connectors for peripheral devices which allows you to tailor your video computer system TI99/4A as desired (and according to your requirements):

That way, a basic version can be set up from a TI99/4A, a color or B/W TV set (=monitor), and a cassette recorder. For the advanced version you need - besides the TI99/4A and the monitor - the Thermal Printer 32 [chars per line], a diskette control device, and the diskette drives 1 and/or 2. An office version may look like this: TI99/4A combined with a monitor, a normal-format printer, a V.24 [=RS232] interface, a diskette control device, and the diskette drive 1 (cf. page 6).

But, as said, you are the one to decide what video computer system TI99/4A shall run for you ...

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Re Message 9 this thread-

Works fine for me, plots a diagonal at top left. No need for the suggested amendment, use as is-

Problem is line 140 wipes it off the screen, instead use 140 GOTO 140 - and BREAK when you've tired of looking at it.

then you can see the tiny hi res plot.

Of course it isn't real hi res but like TI LOGO it is redefining Basic characters.

R Mathews was a great programmer who died much much too early.

This XB Line Plotter is pretty cool.

If anyone wants to see it run but does not feel like typing it out. Here it is:

60 REM R.MATHEWS
70 REM TX SOFTWARE
80 REM LINE PLOTTER (TI994A EXTENED BASIC)
85 REM ***********
100 CT=96
110 CALL CLEAR
120 READ RW,CL,RW1,CL1
130 CALL PLOT(RW,CL,RW1,CL1,CT)
140 STOP
150 DATA 2,20,7,60
160 END
170 REM ***********
180 SUB PLOT(RW,CL,RW1,CL1,CT)
190 BIN(1),BIN(5)=8 :: BIN(2),BIN(6)=4 :: BIN(3),BIN(7)=2 :: BIN(4),BIN(=1
210 X1=RW1-RW :: Y1=CL1-CL :: Z1=MAX(ABS(X1),ABS(Y1)):: G=RW :: H=CL
240 FOR I=1 TO Z1 :: G=G+X1/Z1 :: H=H+Y1/Z1 :: RW=INT(G):: CL=INT(H)
250 CHRW=INT(RW/8.01+1):: CHCL=INT(CL/8.01+1)
260 PIXRW=RW-((CHRW-1)*:: PIXCL=CL-((CHCL-1)*
270 CALL GCHAR(CHRW,CHCL,CH):: IF CH=32 THEN CH=CT :: CT=CT+1 :: CALL CHAR(CH,"")
275 IF CT=144 THEN CT=96
280 CALL CHARPAT(CH,X$)
290 PS=INT(((PIXRW-1)*8+PIXCL)/4.001)+1 :: CD=ASC(SEG$(X$,PS,1))
300 IF CD<65 THEN DEC=CD-48 ELSE DEC=CD-55
310 DEC=BIN(PIXCL)OR DEC
320 IF DEC>9 THEN CD=DEC+55 ELSE CD=DEC+48
330 X$=SEG$(X$,1,PS-1)&CHR$(CD)&SEG$(X$,PS+1,16)
335 CALL CHAR(CH,X$):: CALL HCHAR(CHRW,CHCL,CH):: NEXT I
340 SUBEND
350 REM ***********

• Like 1