IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

i can get around 200k on the arcade version, and MAME, and consoles slightly less. i am using a custom arcade stick at home

for the xbox 360, and that version lets you remap all the buttons along with directions.

Man, 200k (i.e 20x extra men) in Defender to me is 'expert' level already lol. I think you reach 100k at around stage 8-10, so 200k around level 15+ but I don't know as I'm not that good :lol: I'm not going to go into a deep Defender discussion but with that kind of experience in the game I think you'd be the last person to say that 8-way directional control we've been talking about is no problem.. you lose so much of the control subtlety you get with the original layout.. where you can thrust in bursts (vs. tapping a joystick multiple times in a direction). Also when it gets fast it's not unusual to have your ship 'freeze' when doing rapid reversals using a joystick.. i.e. quickly do a series of left/right flips and then your ship doesn't move forward unless you quickly let go and retap again. It hurts man. :)

The Defender control layout is teh suck.

I just don't understand the thinking here. Maybe it would be OK for those not used to the original controls. But how big of a market is the group of people who will be bothered playing a ruthless game like Defender in 2018, without having prior fondness for it? And of those with said prior fondness, who is going to be OK with that hack-up of the control scheme? It'll be like trying to play Super Mario with a Power Glove.

What I've found in my many years of playing MAME is that there is quite a bit of leeway on how the buttons and controllers can be physically arranged on the control panel while still feeling comfortable and intuitive relative to the original control panel. The key is simply to ensure that each hand/finger does the correct function. This, of course, makes it absolutely mandatory (IMO) for any Asteroids or Defender panel worth its salt to have the thrust and fire buttons side-by-side, etc.

"But it would have been difficult with the Rampage controls..."

Yes, and? Don't mix up Defender and Rampage, then.

• Like 2

The Defender control layout is teh suck.

I just don't understand the thinking here. Maybe it would be OK for those not used to the original controls. But how big of a market is the group of people who will be bothered playing a ruthless game like Defender in 2018, without having prior fondness for it? And of those with said prior fondness, who is going to be OK with that hack-up of the control scheme? It'll be like trying to play Super Mario with a Power Glove.

What I've found in my many years of playing MAME is that there is quite a bit of leeway on how the buttons and controllers can be physically arranged on the control panel while still feeling comfortable and intuitive relative to the original control panel. The key is simply to ensure that each hand/finger does the correct function. This, of course, makes it absolutely mandatory (IMO) for any Asteroids or Defender panel worth its salt to have the thrust and fire buttons side-by-side, etc.

"But it would have been difficult with the Rampage controls..."

Yes, and? Don't mix up Defender and Rampage, then.

someone showed a breakdown of the street fighter 2 machine, it's using standard arcade button Controllers and wiring.

so, yes, you could probably wire up buttons in parallel, add extra ones, remove some, etc, if you strictly want one player

with the proper layout.

i doubt any casual players would do that, and i doubt any hardcore defender players will get it either. that said, i'm not that

great, and i'm sure i could get used it to it.

it's not that hard, when you're not an expert, and i said already, reverse, thrust are already taken care of with the joystick.

later

i doubt any casual players would do that, and i doubt any hardcore defender players will get it either. that said, i'm not that great, and i'm sure i could get used it to it.

Dude you can score 200k. I take people at their word.. and all things being equal, in Defender that's pretty dang good! :P Not as good as the pros. but still.

it's not that hard, when you're not an expert, and i said already, reverse, thrust are already taken care of with the joystick.

That's the thing. Defender is a pretty bare bones game by today's standards.. but it's draw is its difficulty, and the fact that it's a game you can keep improving with practice. I'd argue that using 8-way joystick control ruins that entire aspect and makes the impossible to get even "decent" at the game. Not because it dumbs it down per-se, but because it makes it much harder to do finesse ship moves you learn to do naturally with the original controls.

But yeah I digress.. bottom line is let's just admit the darn thing is 8-way directional control, like every modern Defender port, which is unfortunate. I'd be curious if they give the option to at least re-configure the controls somewhat (doubt it). Rampage arcade cab had the buttons on top of each other and not side by side which makes it even more unfortunate :lol:

here's some short gameplay footage of:
--------------------------------------------
street fighter 2
defender
rampage
gauntlet

===========================================

street fighter 2 looks ok.

defender looks tricky with the new layout.

rampage looks cramped.

gauntlet is the 2 player rom, there wasn't a 3 player version....

later

Golden Tee? Seriously? What kind of mouthbreathing drunkard wants that crap? Did they market this poll exclusively to frat boys and bar patrons?

I don't mind Golden Tee but I agree there are a thousand other games I'd prefer.

I wonder if they'd have the wherewithal to design the GT trackball control panel such that the mouthbreathing drunkards can haul off and reef on the trackball without smashing their oft-dragged knuckles on the cabinet bezel. :D

Golden Tee? Seriously? What kind of mouthbreathing drunkard wants that crap? Did they market this poll exclusively to frat boys and bar patrons?

so, what game do you prefer. that's not on that list.

it was the 3rd lowest in votes, so it's not that popular.

they also put big buck hunter there also, and karate champ,

which both got even less votes.

later

Edited by negative1

so, what game do you prefer. that's not on that list.

How about some more actual popular Golden Era Classic Arcade games like:

Pac-Man

Ms. Mac-Man

Burgertime

Q-Bert

Pole Position

Double Dragon

Dig Dug

Frogger

Popeye

Jungle Hunt

Kung Fu Master

Phoenix

Vanguard

Spy Hunter

Super Cobra

Xevious

Zaxxon

I guess I'm just sick of seeing people ask for awful sports games and 1,000 different variations on the same boring fighting games. SF2 and MK is more than enough.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Like 2

is it me, or does this spinner look kind of big on the deluxe version...

later

Yeah it does.. but then again these are like miniature cabs, so maybe not. :lol: Looking at that video you posted earlier, even the SF2 control panel looked pretty compact with the 2 dudes playing it.. but hard to say. I have to see one in front of me to make a judgement really,

Pac-Man

Ms. Mac-Man

Burgertime

Q-Bert

Pole Position

Double Dragon

Dig Dug

Frogger

Popeye

Jungle Hunt

Kung Fu Master

Phoenix

Vanguard

Spy Hunter

Super Cobra

Xevious

Zaxxon

Q-Bert would have been an interesting one as that game is one of the standard fails of multi-cabs, and you have to get used to moving the joystick looking at an angle :lol: If they'd have a cab with a diagonal joystick that'd be cool.. although I dunno wtf other games would go with it :P

Edited by NE146
  • Like 1

Pac-Man

Ms. Mac-Man

Burgertime

Q-Bert

Pole Position

Double Dragon

Dig Dug

Frogger

Popeye

Jungle Hunt

Kung Fu Master

Phoenix

Vanguard

Spy Hunter

Super Cobra

Xevious

Zaxxon

I guess I'm just sick of seeing people ask for awful sports games and 1,000 different variations on the same boring fighting games. SF2 and MK is more than enough.

Frogger is out because of the music, unfortunately. A reprogrammed version just wouldn't be the same.

I consider a lot of those you mentioned kind of boring as well, just because we've seen them a million times before, but a cabinet with Spy Hunter with proper controls and some additional racing games like Pole Position and Turbo would be exceedingly cool and an instant buy for me. I'd even do without Spy Hunter for a straight up infinite rotation steering wheel that had regular racing games like Pole Position and Turbo, but also games like Super Off Road and Super Sprint.

Yeah it does.. but then again these are like miniature cabs, so maybe not. :lol: Looking at that video you posted earlier, even the SF2 control panel looked pretty compact with the 2 dudes playing it.. but hard to say. I have to see one in front of me to make a judgement really,

They posted a video on Facebook yesterday to answer the people complaining about the height discrepancies on the various retailer ads. Dude comes out and pulls out a tape measure to show you the height - except he's 15 feet away from the camera and you obviously can't read the tape - and the guy is like 6 foot 4, so even on the riser, the thing looks 2 feet shorter than he is.

I consider a lot of those you mentioned kind of boring as well, just because we've seen them a million times before, but a cabinet with Spy Hunter with proper controls and some additional racing games like Pole Position and Turbo would be exceedingly cool and an instant buy for me. I'd even do without Spy Hunter for a straight up infinite rotation steering wheel that had regular racing games like Pole Position and Turbo, but also games like Super Off Road and Super Sprint.

I would love to play Spy Hunter with proper controls and an acceleration pedal. I can live without the other old driving games you mention, but it would be wonderful to have Atari Games yoke-control titles like Star Wars (Return of the Jedi, Empire Strikes Back), STUN Runner, Hydra, and Road Blasters. Throw in the SF Rush and Hydro Thunder games and I'd instabuy up to $800.

• Like 1

I'm thinking a cab with an analog steering wheel, gas and brake pedals with fire buttons on the wheel for:

Pole Postion

PP II and/or Outrun

Paperboy

Spy Hunter

would be a complete sellout.

After the very early reports, I've kept my opinions largely to myself, as I don't like to crap on what people like. Frankly I AM surprised people are actually considering $300 a good deal for what these (apparently) are. These look like overpriced fiberboard toys with (likely) shit controls and nice stickers to me, which doesn't equal $300. Not MY $300 anyway.

OTOH.......A driving cab with a heavy duty wheel and pedals and a bunch of good driving games? As the internet says, "Shut up and take my money"

(for that matter....how about a quality 2 player light gun cab?)

After the very early reports, I've kept my opinions largely to myself, as I don't like to crap on what people like. Frankly I AM surprised people are actually considering $300 a good deal for what these (apparently) are. These look like overpriced fiberboard toys with (likely) shit controls and nice stickers to me, which doesn't equal $300. Not MY $300 anyway.

OTOH.......A driving cab with a heavy duty wheel and pedals and a bunch of good driving games? As the internet says, "Shut up and take my money"

(for that matter....how about a quality 2 player light gun cab?)

On the contrary, I don't see how $300 is NOT a good deal for these things. They have authentic art/design, licensed games, arcade-like controls (that are standard and easy to swap out for different arcade-like parts should you be so moved), and a dedicated monitor (i.e., not just a TV). That seems like a perfectly reasonable value proposition to me.

If they did a driving cab, I doubt it would be heavy duty. It would no doubt be just like these, with a "light duty" wheel and pedals. I'd still very much be down for that at $300, at least with the right mix of games (and assuming no stop points on the wheel itself).

In terms of a light gun cab, I don't think I'd want one with a small monitor like these have. I prefer light gun games on a much larger screen and think those are easy enough to enjoy and have a fantatic experience on a regular giant living room TV. In other words, I don't really think a home light gun arcade cabinet makes much sense, at least for me.

Pac-Man

Ms. Mac-Man

Q-Bert

Dig Dug

These ones are already under consideration for next year

Burgertime

data east / g-mode license now, it would be up to them.

Pole Position

racing game, would be tricky getting the controls right i would think.

Double Dragon

Jungle Hunt

technos / taito license, up to them.

Frogger

as mentioned, musical issues for licensing.

Popeye

getting anything out of nintendo, and this license would be a problem

Kung Fu Master

irem / data east license

Phoenix

taito / centuri license

Vanguard

snk /centuri license

Spy Hunter

bally midway/ willliams license, but complicated controls, used for spyhunter 2

Super Cobra

konami / stern license

Xevious

namco / atari license

Zaxxon

sega license, controls only good for super zaxxon though.

so, out of all the games you mentioned, some are already being considered.

others are lesser known titles, and most are one offs, with fixed controls or nonstandard ones, and a few only have use with 1 other game.

not really a lot to choose from.

later