IGNORED

Super Nintendo Classic Edition - SNES Mini thread

Rev

Just spotted three SNES's at Walmart in Oregon, Ohio. :) No NES or controllers though. :(

don't lose hope! i am seeing a lot of it come in weekly spurts- and the scalper prices i've noticed have gone way down too, indicating to me that the supply is slowly meeting the demand. :)

Edited by digdugnate

• 4 weeks later...

I wasn't sure the Emio arcade stick ever came out for the SNES Classic Edition, but just ordered one for $25.

post-2825-0-86613900-1535069059.jpg

Anyone have any experience with these? Are they easily modable like the NES Classic predecessor was?

At the very least, I think I'll do some button rearranging on this. I don't think I like how the ABXY buttons are laid out.

• Like 1

I wasn't sure the Emio arcade stick ever came out for the SNES Classic Edition, but just ordered one for $25.

attachicon.gifsnes.jpg

Anyone have any experience with these? Are they easily modable like the NES Classic predecessor was?

At the very least, I think I'll do some button rearranging on this. I don't think I like how the ABXY buttons are laid out.

The buttons are laid out like they are because Capcom's CPS Stick had the same layout back in the day. That doesn't really get you a whole lot. Capcom fighting games had a one-button auto-reassign feature, but that's about it.

Edited by derFunkenstein

The buttons are laid out like they are because Capcom's CPS Stick had the same layout back in the day. That doesn't really get you a whole lot. Capcom fighting games had a one-button auto-reassign feature, but that's about it.

Most playformers like Donkey Kong and Super Mario need the Capcom layout. The three buttons form and arc on the diamind which feels cramped and unnatural using the fighter layout. Of course the platform style layout is assinine for fighters unless yiu reassign buttons.

Yes, platformers and shmups do work and are playable with joysticks. I've even played tetris with sticks!

futzed around with Jaki Crush tonight a bit and got a decent score (for me). :)

This is probably one of the coolest pinball games for the SFC/SNES! (Thanks for the suggestion @goldleader!)

Thanks for mentioning this gem. I had never heard of it before, so I had to check it out with the magic of the Everdrive. Awesome game!! I will be playing this one for a good while now.

Edited by Oldschool80skid
  • Like 2

My Emio Super Edge arcade stick arrived this afternoon. Plugged it into my PC with the included Classic Controller to USB adapter and wasted an hour in Stella. Very nice arcade stick so far in my opinion. Looking forward to running through Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts with it this evening on my SNES Classic. :)

I bought it here for $25.99 if anyone is curious. Pretty good price compared to the few other online retailers with it in stock that want $10-$20 more for it. I've also heard of people finding them for $20 in TJ Maxx of all places, but I tried two of them in recent weeks and found no sign of them.

• Like 1

That's not a bad deal even I would think the shipping wouldn't do too much damage on top to negate it.

It looks like a competent enough controller if you're looking for some arcade or console fun on a computer so it's not just restricted to the SNES which is smart of EMIO after so much stuck NES stuff ended up being in clearance dumper bins thinking it was a one off 2 years ago.

futzed around with Jaki Crush tonight a bit and got a decent score (for me). :)

This is probably one of the coolest pinball games for the SFC/SNES! (Thanks for the suggestion @goldleader!)

Jaki Crush I keep forgetting the name so I never try it out which sucks as I love Alien and Devil's Crush games on PC Engine.

Jaki Crush is the proper sequel to Devil's Crush and Alien Crush on the PC Engine. You owe it to yourself to pick up this gem. I love the asymmetric pinball layout on the stacked table. Very cool and surprisingly balanced.

It doesn't pop up everyday but still quite affordable when it does.

https://www.pricecharting.com/game/super-famicom/jaki-crush

Any North American Super Nintendo with cut tabs will run it (and every other Super Famicom game) just fine.

• Like 1

It's clearly just both retail packages together in one box. A real 2-in-1 unit would be cool. Nes and snes classics have the same pcb even.

When is mah n64 mini coming out? :cool:

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got around to messing with the SNES classic today. This hardware is incredibly overpowered for NES and SNES. I think it might be possible for Nintendo to use this for the 64. It plays games surprisingly well. Luckily I had a brand new Wii GC controller sitting around that I got when Walmart was doing their blowout sale. I also put NES and Genesis on there. It makes the system well worth the money when hacked.

• Like 3

I finally got around to messing with the SNES classic today. This hardware is incredibly overpowered for NES and SNES. I think it might be possible for Nintendo to use this for the 64. It plays games surprisingly well. Luckily I had a brand new Wii GC controller sitting around that I got when Walmart was doing their blowout sale. I also put NES and Genesis on there. It makes the system well worth the money when hacked.

Not to state the obvious but it is an RPi2 class device, I understand you like the case and the controllers, but other than that ....

I'm sure you can google this, but back when the NES CE came out, your sherlock moment there was already indubitably investigated and confirmed. One of the very first releases of the then incomplete/buggy hakchi allowed some ghetto running of some retroarch capable emulators for other devices as people tried to figure out the ceiling. At first it was sketchy on a stock setup for N64 wobbling around, but someone decided to try a more refined and optimized version of an N64 emulator (don't recall who or which emulator) and played with the settings just a little. They got N64 running at 60fps solid, no graphics-audio-gameplay glitching. The video if I recall had both Mario Kart 64 and Wave Race as a test and they were smooth, fluid and 60fps set and tight. As it took a more optimized emulator and setting it up correctly to get it full frame and happy, it basically set the ceiling on the NES original as N64.

For me, knowing that, a N64 CE became a possible, but not likely since at that rate they were setting themselves at $60 in the box, $20 for a can't find it controller. But then SNES came along with more storage on chip but samey otherwise at $80 with 2 pads, but still it seemed kind of unattainable. But now with Sony weaseling on their racket at $100 with same gen and 2 controllers, I think Nintendo can now feel validated doing the $100 ceiling too between mainly Sony but also SNK ($110 for NG Mini) to go for it. The expense here would now be tweaking the N64 emulator for this chipset, copying Sony cutting features of the controller to the minimum (no rumble, no mem pak save slot) for 2 controllers, and then just boxing it up after picking like 13-15 1st party games and 3rd party to round out a set of 20.

I think it's likely a matter of time more than a problem now that existed a year or two ago.

Did the n64 emu correctly map the wii classic controllers or were the games basically forever stuck in demo mode?

Seemed to work fine to me. The only issue I have run into so far was Duke Nukem 3D. Using the left thumb stick makes you switch through weapons when you turn right or left. There is probably a fix for this but I haven't looked into it yet.