IGNORED

Should I make a new "in-depth" video on 4A/DOS?

Omega-TI

4A/DOS video  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in a new in-depth 4A/DOS video?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not applicable to my needs.
    • Don't care

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I've been getting some questions via PM's and even Chatti about 4A/DOS. So my question to you guys is; should I make a new in-depth video on 4A/DOS? If so, what would you like to see covered?

Back in the day it was originally for the old "Supercart", a modified Editor Assembler using a different cartridge for it's base, but more recently it was converted into cartridge format usable with the FG99 and, now with Tursi's help it can be used in a more practical and convenient way in an auto-booting form with an UberCart.

Should I include it's earlier history? Should I cover how it's used? Should I show how it makes working with the TIPI so much easier? Should I include references to new programs that have come out for it recently, or existing programs that make it more functional?

If you have any other questions or comments about what you would like to see addressed (if any) please post them here.

• Like 1

You cannot do this with a FinalGROM, you need to use an UberGROM cartridge. Essentially the 4A/DOS program is written to the 49F040 and the GROM bypass routines are in the 1284P.

The easiest way to do this if you don't have an older used UberGROM laying around, or a MiniPRO is to << CLICK HERE >>.

Ever since the FG99 came out, I've freed up a few UberGROMs for "re-tasking", I imagine others have as well.

Hi Omega,

using 4aDOS with tipi is very fast and your batch menue is clear to me. Using the DOS commands from prompt and examples of starting assembler programs are very interesting for me. Maybe it is possible to automap a tipi Volume as DSK1. and start a program like TI-Writer or the disk version of Parsec from DOS prompt or from a Batch-Menue?

Hi Omega,

using 4aDOS with tipi is very fast and your batch menue is clear to me. Using the DOS commands from prompt and examples of starting assembler programs are very interesting for me. Maybe it is possible to automap a tipi Volume as DSK1. and start a program like TI-Writer or the disk version of Parsec from DOS prompt or from a Batch-Menue?

Worst case it's super easy to make a ea5 program to do this.. to start an ea5 image in 4ados you type LOAD DSK1.FILENAME like to load my editor its LOAD TIPI.UTIL.EDIT80 I'd really like to see 4ados get updated to be more like boot where you could run it from XB and have XB AND EA5 loaders.. but that would make it slower.. maybe a UBER image with both in it.. like XB27 with 4ados as the boot menu..

• Like 2

Hi Omega,

Do you have a disk version of Parsec? I only have the cartridge version. If you have the disk version, send it my way and I'll see what can be done.

4A/ DOS also does EA/3 files and any commands that can be typed in can also be used in a batch file by stacking commands, so loading a program like that is just as easy as pressing one button.

Many programs do not NEED to be run out of DSK1, so including the path in the batch file is usually good enough with no need to re-map disks. I might mention that if you put your edited scratch loader program in the ROOT directory, and it has the path included, it's super easy to run a large multi sub-directory deep program with two words, for instance LOAD EDITOR would run TIPI.DOS.EDIT80.

In my case I do not map DSK1. I use my Lotharek HXC as my DSK1, but that is where I have my AUTO-BAT which is a very short batch file that loads MENU-BAT up from the TIPI.DOS. sub-directory (because everything loads faster from the RPi.)

I prefer to have DSK1. available because some legacy programs require 'a real disk format'.

• Like 1

Worst case it's super easy to make a ea5 program to do this.. to start an ea5 image in 4ados you type LOAD DSK1.FILENAME like to load my editor its LOAD TIPI.UTIL.EDIT80 I'd really like to see 4ados get updated to be more like boot where you could run it from XB and have XB AND EA5 loaders.. but that would make it slower.. maybe a UBER image with both in it.. like XB27 with 4ados as the boot menu..

Oh boy, I'd like to see Extended BASIC combined with 4A/DOS in the cartridge too! Until that time, if someone only wanted to only use BOOT they could easily write a tiny batch file to immediately load BOOT from disk straight from power up or from a reset.

tipi.zip

Do you have a disk version of Parsec? I only have the cartridge version. If you have the disk version, send it my way and I'll see what can be done.

4A/ DOS also does EA/3 files and any commands that can be typed in can also be used in a batch file by stacking commands, so loading a program like that is just as easy as pressing one button.

Many programs do not NEED to be run out of DSK1, so including the path in the batch file is usually good enough with no need to re-map disks. I might mention that if you put your edited scratch loader program in the ROOT directory, and it has the path included, it's super easy to run a large multi sub-directory deep program with two words, for instance LOAD EDITOR would run TIPI.DOS.EDIT80.

In my case I do not map DSK1. I use my Lotharek HXC as my DSK1, but that is where I have my AUTO-BAT which is a very short batch file that loads MENU-BAT up from the TIPI.DOS. sub-directory (because everything loads faster from the RPi.)

I prefer to have DSK1. available because some legacy programs require 'a real disk format'.

Thank You Omega, today I modified your 4ADOS batchfile and made a second EA5-BAT batchfile with several EA5 Games to start from the 4ADOS Menu and it works fine.

Yes I saw an EA5 Version of Parsec and other cardridges in this Thread http://atariage.com/forums/topic/225056-fixing-parsec/

I used also modified LOAD-BOOT files to start the EA5 games.

Thank you to arcadeshopper: It works with EDIT40 too.

In the attached Tipi.zip file I have my start configuration for using with the 4ADOS Environment.

The 4ADOS Files are in TIPI.4ADOS folder
(I maped this as DSK1. because the 4ADOS needs the CHARA1 file in DSK1.)

and

the games files are in TIPI.EA5 Folder

The 4ADOS I starts from my FG99 but it should also start from the module Version.

If you will provide a video about the configuration of the 4ADOS environment, it would be great if you show us to start the different file types "DOS commands", "EA5-files", "EA3-files" maybe XB programs too.

• Like 2

Right on Wolhess! It's nice to see another person dive into 4A/DOS and experience what it's capable of. So many ways to run it...

1) In Classic 99 (more or less to check it out)

2) From a Super Cart (as originally intended)

3) From a FlashROM or FinalGROM

4) From a dedicated UberGROM cartridge (my favorite method because of the auto-boot & return characteristics).

With method #4 and a TIPI it's a game changer for sure, now throw in an F18A and it's like a different computer.

One benefit of the UberGROM method is Tursi's hack to put CHARA1 in the cartridge. I find that handy because I no longer have to put copies of that file in multiple places.

Currently, XB is out of the question with 4A/DOS. :_( It would be cool though, but 95% of everything I run is ether assembly or compiled coded programs.

With the GROM bypass routine and call to the 'program' in the 512K chip, the currently 8K 4A/DOS program has plenty of room to evolve and grow over time! Can you imagine the utility and features if it was 'just doubled' in size to a mere 16K? It would be a snap to download & upgrade by simple over-writing the 49F040 and snapping it back into the cartridge.

I just downloaded you attachment and will check it out! - Thanks!

I really like the way you think! It would be the best of both worlds. Getting it done... probably another story. I know of someone who could probably pull it off... but I'm not gonna ask.

@arcadeshopper, @OMEGA,

currently I prefer RXB, when I use Extended Basic or Basic programs/games.

Is it possible to create a 4A/DOS Suite cardridge with:

- 4A/DOS

- RXB 2015 (maybe RXB 2018)

- REA 2015

- Disk Manager 2.1 (from the XB2.7 Suite)

- Disk Manager 2000 DM2K (from the XB2.7 Suite)

(or the upcomming new Tipi diskmanager from Jedimat42)

- Compact Flash HDXS (from the XB2.7 Suite)

- TI Writer

I will try to bring the topics above together in a FG99 SD-Card, maybe it works.

@arcadeshopper, @OMEGA,

currently I prefer RXB, when I use Extended Basic or Basic programs/games.

Is it possible to create a 4A/DOS Suite cardridge with:

- 4A/DOS

- RXB 2015 (maybe RXB 2018)

- REA 2015

- Disk Manager 2.1 (from the XB2.7 Suite)

- Disk Manager 2000 DM2K (from the XB2.7 Suite)

(or the upcomming new Tipi diskmanager from Jedimat42)

- Compact Flash HDXS (from the XB2.7 Suite)

- TI Writer

I will try to bring the topics above together in a FG99 SD-Card, maybe it works.

Possible? Yes. Probable? No. I'd say for your individual needs, your best bet would be to just load up a FinalGROM with all your stuff and forget about a dedicated 4A/DOS cartridge. You can still use 4A/DOS from the FinalGROM, you'll just have to stick CHARA1 files in places and forget about the auto-booting and reset aspects.

• 2 months later...

attachicon.giftipi.zip

Thank You Omega, today I modified your 4ADOS batchfile and made a second EA5-BAT batchfile with several EA5 Games to start from the 4ADOS Menu and it works fine.

Yes I saw an EA5 Version of Parsec and other cardridges in this Thread http://atariage.com/forums/topic/225056-fixing-parsec/

In the attached Tipi.zip file I have my start configuration for using with the 4ADOS Environment.

and

The 4ADOS I starts from my FG99 but it should also start from the module Version.

If you will provide a video about the configuration of the 4ADOS environment, it would be great if you show us to start the different file types "DOS commands", "EA5-files", "EA3-files" maybe XB programs too.

wolhess,

Thank you so much for your discussion on this topic, and for posting your 4A/DOS configuration files. I do not yet have a 4A/DOS UberGROM cartridge, but I do have a FG99. I am very interested in using 4A/DOS with my TIPI. I do not have 80 column capability, so I am grateful for your configuration files that support 40 columns.

How did you create the LOAD files like LOADEDIT, LOADBIG etc. Can I view/edit them?

Edited by twoodland

attachicon.giftipi.zip

and

Wolves,

Thanks for the TIPI files. Can I just copy them to the SD card for the TIPI? Where so they go

vielen dank

Wolves,

Thanks for the TIPI files. Can I just copy them to the SD card for the TIPI? Where so they go

vielen dank

if you open the tipi web interface, make a folder called 4ADOS put them in there

or the file share.. same thing just drag and drop.if the files are already tifiles format then nothing else to do other than map DSK1 = 4ADOS and it will pop up as DSK1 on the TIPI