IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

Agreed.. I'm being totally honest in that I'm snagging it for the artwork. I'm pretty good at Space Invaders (e.g. I probably could have beaten the current world record when I was a kid, and get close to it today). But the fact is it's the looks that I want. I'll probably barely ever play it :lol:

But yes! There's no comparison to the original.

3max.jpg vs post-31-0-24261000-1538580141.jpg

• Like 2

But for me.. take a simple game like Space Invaders. I have a Taito cocktail, I had a Taito upright.. I can play nearly all the arcade variants on the PC with Mame (with an x-arcade if i wanted) , I can play it in so many console compilations.. handheld or otherwise, I can play it on the Rpi3 barcade (heck I can play the PSP version on the barcade), I can play it on the ps2 with the fancy cocktail controller.

And that strikes me as borderline nuts, because I'm obsessed with conserving space and just finding the "best" way to play these games. Since the VERY best would be an authentic cabinet but I also have that conserving space goal, the next option is emulation, I guess.

If you just want to fill your house with things, I guess they're good for that. :lol:

And that strikes me as borderline nuts, because I'm obsessed with conserving space and just finding the "best" way to play these games. Since the VERY best would be an authentic cabinet but I also have that conserving space goal, the next option is emulation, I guess.

If you just want to fill your house with things, I guess they're good for that. :lol:

and to me, it's not even about conserving space - I have a huge finished basement/mancave that is mostly empty.

I just can't fathom throwing $300 at something you know is crap, that you already have 4 better quality versions of.

but then, I find the idea of "collecting" to be mostly offputting. like you said, peopel who fill their houses up with stuff they don't even like, just because. I don't get it.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet

My X-Arcade dual is maybe 12 years or so old now. I agree completely about the mushy feel. It's merely OK. I suppose I should look into swapping out some of the parts.

My only real beef with X-Arcade controllers is that the stock joysticks are sloppy Happ Super knock-offs that suck pretty badly. I don't see anything wrong with stock X-Arcade buttons; to the contrary, I think they've got a pretty nice feel (assuming you're OK with microswitches).

An X-Arcade upgraded with Happ Competition joysticks is a very capable general purpose arcade controller. The Comps bolt right up to the existing mounting holes and they only cost about $12 each. They took me about 10 minutes to install.

post-27528-0-17848200-1538584587_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cynicaster
  • Like 1

My only real beef with X-Arcade controllers is that the stock joysticks are sloppy Happ Super knock-offs that suck pretty badly. I don't see anything wrong with stock X-Arcade buttons; to the contrary, I think they've got a pretty nice feel (assuming you're OK with microswitches).

OK, I have to look into that. I'm actually more OK with the joysticks than the buttons. Some of the buttons seem to have lost a bit of their spring/feel. Maybe I'll just replace everything on it and be done with it.

If we're going to compare, pseudo cabinets and ghetto setups.

i have 3 right now in my bedroom:

=============================

pc connected to 42 inch widescreen - for any pc related games, controllers, etc, etc.

2 24 inch wire cabinets

-----------------------

1 with xbox 360 dedicated, and 13 inch CRT tv, controllers, etc.

1 with xbox one dedicated, and 17 inch 4:3 LCD vga monitor, etc, etc.

Trackballs, spinners, joysticks, fighting stick, racing wheels, gamepads, etc, etc.

--------------------------------------

By the way, the X-arcade sticks may be ok, but they have LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, and I will never support or buy anything from them again.

Buyer BEWARE : http://atariage.com/forums/topic/231873-are-x-arcade-sticks-worth-it/?p=3915831

--------------------------------------

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/231873-are-x-arcade-sticks-worth-it/?hl=x#8208arcade%20joystick

later

Edited by negative1

just to get back on topic,

this is for the mullet:

i'm sure he would agree with this:

fun starts around the 37 minute mark

later

Straight up LOLing. These guys tear them apart. They are are snobby purists, so you can take what they say with a pitcher of salt - but they're completely right. These aren't just crap compared to real arcade cabs. They're crap even just for what they are - cheap emulation knockoffs.

The LCD screen is a 2005 LCD model. LOL 2005.

As harsh and unforgiving as this review might be, I agree with their central point. People buying these now and making this product successful will only ensure future products from this company and every other competitor attempt at these immeasurably worse, because it sets the bar so low. Don't reward sub-mediocrity. Don't give your money to cheap scams. Don't encourage con artists. It only makes things worse for everyone when you do.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet

As harsh and unforgiving as this review might be, I agree with their central point. People buying these now and making this product successful will only ensure future products from this company and every other competitor attempt at these immeasurably worse, because it sets the bar so low. Don't reward sub-mediocrity. Don't give your money to cheap scams. Don't encourage con artists. It only makes things worse for everyone when you do.

There's a huge difference between designing a product around a price point and it not being all that one would hope it would be and an outright scam or con. Words matter, especially when there are actual scams and cons out there. It's over-the-top language and comparisons like that that come from certain segments of our hobby/interest that discourage future efforts targeting what we want rather than what the mass market wants. It's a matter of extremes.

• Like 4

There's a huge difference between designing a product around a price point and it not being all that one would hope it would be and an outright scam or con. Words matter, especially when there are actual scams and cons out there. It's over-the-top language and comparisons like that that come from certain segments of our hobby/interest that discourage future efforts targeting what we want rather than what the mass market wants. It's a matter of extremes.

Your use of "we" here is embellishment, Bill.

You don't speak for me, nor for a large segment of the gaming population.

"we" don't want to be ripped off. This product is exactly that. A cheap ripoff. These guys are scammers. They are selling a VASTLY inferior product, for an inflated price, to an unknowing or uncaring market. That is the very definition of a con.

Your use of "we" here is embellishment, Bill.

You don't speak for me, nor for a large segment of the gaming population.

"we" don't want to be ripped off. This product is exactly that. A cheap ripoff. These guys are scammers. They are selling a VASTLY inferior product, for an inflated price, to an unknowing or uncaring market. That is the very definition of a con.

Sorry, I'm as much as part of the community as anyone - always have been, always will. As for you, if you, from your anonymous seat of "power" want to keep adding to the problem by using terms like "scammers" and "con," so be it. You clearly speak for a very toxic part of our community who simply can't keep things in perspective.

• Like 2

LOL, same link I posted above, with the checkbox for 17"-20" inch ticked.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?N=100160979%20600012947%20600416632&IsNodeId=1&Submit=ENE

Do you understand the difference between remainders and new supply?

But here's the real problem with those LCD panels theya re using:

They are a 2005 TN panel, meaning, they have terrible viewing angles except for straight on. The major problem here is, when standing in front of an Arcade 1up, even with the extra 1 foot riser, the screen is still 1-2 feet shorter than the average adult male at 5'10", and the screen is set at a nearly perpendicular 15% tilt, so the quality of the LCD is glaringly apparent.

See this video for an explanation:

and to me, it's not even about conserving space - I have a huge finished basement/mancave that is mostly empty.

I just can't fathom throwing $300 at something you know is crap, that you already have 4 better quality versions of.

but then, I find the idea of "collecting" to be mostly offputting. like you said, peopel who fill their houses up with stuff they don't even like, just because. I don't get it.

Well, we all have different living spaces. I *had* a huge fully finished basement, but then we built an apartment for my mother-in-law. I had a nice spare bedroom but then my employer closed my office and I telecommute (five and a half years so far) and needed an office in the home. The office that had my nice TV, game consoles, PCs, and a spare couch now has no couch and two extra desks with work-related equipment. Blah. So that's my obsession about saving space.

And I do recognize that there are different priorities for everyone. But it's like you said...why buy stuff you know is just bad. And the fulfillment of preorders and all the reported issues has only reinforced the poor quality, not refuted it.

TN panels are just plain garbage. I have only VA and IPS in my house, work PC included. I think the only TN panel in the house is the 32" Westinghouse TV in my daughter's bedroom with our WiiU hooked up to it.

Edited by derFunkenstein