IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

so the deluxe version will be at home depot also for $399

pac-man is pretty much confirmed at wal-mart for black friday.

-----------

also, asked a guy about the defender controls.

it looks like the joystick is only for up and down, and possible the left and right

are disabled, so you do have to use thrust and reverse.

in some home versions left and right did the thrust for you (xbox 360 version).

later

Edited by negative1

The fact they have a 12" riser available helps, but it needs to be more like 18-24" for people of normal height. The people playing the game on the Arcade1Up website all look super uncomfortable. This guy is clearly in agony.

I think most of that guy's agony is the weight of his hideous hipster beard dragging him down.

• Like 3

Obviously. My point being that one person might declare it unplayable garbage because of 1-2 dropped frames and another one completely fine despite if it is 7-10. It's all about relative bias in this case.

So there is no good reason yet for someone to say it has a latency problem. Someone could identify the lcd display and determine what is known about it's latency, if that's possible. Edited by mr_me

So there is no good reason yet for someone to say it has a latency problem. Someone could identify the lcd display and determine what is known about it's latency, if that's possible.

This is the model of LCD panel they are using:

http://www.panelook.com/M170EG01%20V9_AUO_17.0_LCM_overview_938.html

AS for the question of when these were made (there was some confusion over it being 2005 or 2013), on the left side about 1/2 way down it lists the following:

M170EG01 V9 Production State
CS >> MP >> LTB >> LTS 2005,Q1 2005,Q2 -- -- Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Like 1

This is the model of LCD panel they are using:

http://www.panelook.com/M170EG01%20V9_AUO_17.0_LCM_overview_938.html

AS for the question of when these were made (there was some confusion over it being 2005 or 2013), on the left side about 1/2 way down it lists the following:

M170EG01 V9 Production State
CS >> MP >> LTB >> LTS 2005,Q1 2005,Q2 -- --

Again, I have no idea where you got this idea. The part number is clearly visible in several of the teardown videos; e.g. here. It's an M170ETN01.1 which is from 2013 and is a significantly better panel than the one you linked.

• Like 1

So it would be like an arcade experience; you couldn't flip dip switches or use save states in the arcade.

Again, you're stuck with the negatives of an arcade cab without the positives of a real one. If this was truly "bringing the arcades home" then you'd be able to set difficulty, extra lives, blood, timers, and everything else until your heart was content, because that's how a real cab would be in your home.

Saying "well it was set on hard back in '92 at the pizza parlor, git gud" isn't an excuse. I also paid 25 cents a game and wasn't required to assemble the cabinet.

• Like 1

Again, I have no idea where you got this idea. The part number is clearly visible in several of the teardown videos; e.g. here. It's an M170ETN01.1 which is from 2013 and is a significantly better panel than the one you linked.

if that is the model they are using, it is a slightly better version of the one I linked to above. Still not a good panel, but slightly better than the older version of the same panel.

if that is the model they are using, it is a slightly better version of the one I linked to above. Still not a good panel, but slightly better than the older version of the same panel.

The datasheets of these panels show that the newer version is far better in a variety of metrics including, as most relevant here, viewing angles and response time. Not that such data would matter to you; Arcade1Up used this panel in their cabinets and therefore it is garbage, right?

The datasheets of these panels show that the newer version is far better in a variety of metrics including, as most relevant here, viewing angles and response time. Not that such data would matter to you; Arcade1Up used this panel in their cabinets and therefore it is garbage, right?

tell me, when was the last time you ran out to buy an AUO LCD monitor for a personal or professional application? When was the first?

Everything I've read on them is that they are a budget Taiwanese panel supplier, and the products are exactly what you'd expect. The kind of panels you might put in a point of sale kiosk at a store, but not one you'd buy for home, and certainly not for gaming. There are a few TV manufacturers who started using them and every review I read noted that while the contrast ratios were decent, they suffered the most in viewing angle and input lag, compared to their name-brand competitors.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet

tell me, when was the last time you ran out to buy an AUO LCD monitor for a personal or professional application? When was the first?

Everything I've read on them is that they are a budget Taiwanese panel supplier, and the products are exactly what you'd expect. The kind of panels you might put in a point of sale kiosk at a store, but not one you'd buy for home, and certainly not for gaming. There are a few TV manufacturers who started using them and every review I read noted that while the contrast ratios were decent, they suffered the most in viewing angle and input lag, compared to their name-brand competitors.

Now you're just embarrassing yourself. You obviously have no clue how this works. You compare AUO to "name-brand competitors" but AUO is a "name-brand" in this space. AUO is one of the five largest LCD manufacturers in the world, and their panels live in many different brands of consumer TVs, laptops, monitors, phones -- they have supplied, among many others, Apple, Dell, HP, Sony, Samsung, Vizio. You may very well have an AUO panel in your house right now and you would have no way of knowing without opening up the device and looking at the panel itself.

And yes, I have very little doubt you found some cherry picked examples of cases where AUO panels were worse than the alternatives, but I could cherry pick other examples where the AUO panel was better than the alternatives (e.g. this comparison of three panels used in the same Samsung TV, where the AUO panel was measured to have better contrast ratio, viewing angle, and input lag compared to the Samsung and Sharp panels).

The point is the same as I said before. You have not even the smallest shred of evidence that this panel is of poor quality, but you insist on saying that it is, for no reason other than that everything that makes its way into these cabinets must be bad.

• Like 3

Now you're just embarrassing yourself. You obviously have no clue how this works. You compare AUO to "name-brand competitors" but AUO is a "name-brand" in this space. AUO is one of the five largest LCD manufacturers in the world, and their panels live in many different brands of consumer TVs, laptops, monitors, phones -- they have supplied, among many others, Apple, Dell, HP, Sony, Samsung, Vizio. You may very well have an AUO panel in your house right now and you would have no way of knowing without opening up the device and looking at the panel itself.

And yes, I have very little doubt you found some cherry picked examples of cases where AUO panels were worse than the alternatives, but I could cherry pick other examples where the AUO panel was better than the alternatives (e.g. this comparison of three panels used in the same Samsung TV, where the AUO panel was measured to have better contrast ratio, viewing angle, and input lag compared to the Samsung and Sharp panels).

The point is the same as I said before. You have not even the smallest shred of evidence that this panel is of poor quality, but you insist on saying that it is, for no reason other than that everything that makes its way into these cabinets must be bad.

You really should read the comparison of the specs on the two.

The later 1.1 model you linked above has an optimal 6 O'clock view direction - meaning, the contrast ratio is best when viewed from below, or angled from the bottom of the panel. These panels are placed inside a cabinet where they are primarily viewed from above, the 12 o'clock viewing angle. The worst angle for this panel is the one most people will see.

Also - the are rated at 250 for luminance, compared to 420 for the older model I linked earlier, meaning they are significantly less bright than the previous model.

So while the rise/fall response time is slightly better on the 1.1 model (4/2 vs. 6/3), and the viewing angle is also slightly better (80 vs. 70) - the model they apparently used is less bright, and is designed to be viewed best from below, yet is placed in a cabinet that is > 4 feet tall.

see here: http://www.golden-vision-display.com/index.php?p=1_16_LCD-Viewing-Direction-and-Viewing-Modes

Why ain't you savin' your vitriol for Atari SA at this point? Good or bad, these things have hit the street, and in a few months will be nothing more than a regretful toy purchase and a thrift store donation in the making. Over at indiegogo, people have already paid $300 for thin air and incompetence. You need to keep some snark in the tank for that clusterf$ck.

• Like 2

Why ain't you savin' your vitriol for Atari SA at this point? Good or bad, these things have hit the street, and in a few months will be nothing more than a regretful toy purchase and a thrift store donation in the making. Over at indiegogo, people have already paid $300 for thin air and incompetence. You need to keep some snark in the tank for that clusterf$ck.

The difference being, there isn't a cavalcade of gleeful supporters of the Atacobox on THIS forum, getting all angry any time someone shares a less than flattering opinion of said vaporware.

But up in here, there's a veritable mid-80's Dallas Cowboys Cheerleading squad for the Arcade1Up, fervently defending the honor of a cheap arcade knockoff, shaking their bikini-smuggled gaming bits at the damn thing like it's going to start throwing singles at them.

I go where the action is.

You really should read the comparison of the specs on the two.

The later 1.1 model you linked above has an optimal 6 O'clock view direction - meaning, the contrast ratio is best when viewed from below, or angled from the bottom of the panel. These panels are placed inside a cabinet where they are primarily viewed from above, the 12 o'clock viewing angle. The worst angle for this panel is the one most people will see.

Also - the are rated at 250 for luminance, compared to 420 for the older model I linked earlier, meaning they are significantly less bright than the previous model.

So while the rise/fall response time is slightly better on the 1.1 model (4/2 vs. 6/3), and the viewing angle is also slightly better (80 vs. 70) - the model they apparently used is less bright, and is designed to be viewed best from below, yet is placed in a cabinet that is > 4 feet tall.

see here: http://www.golden-vision-display.com/index.php?p=1_16_LCD-Viewing-Direction-and-Viewing-Modes

Aren't most of these displays being looked at from the side because of vertical orientation. And if viewing angles from the bottom are better, they can be installed up-side-down, Up/down viewing angle is listed as the same anyway. Every LCD display I've ever used was way too bright, I don't think that's an issue unless you're using them in sunlight.

The difference in response time is 38% better which is significant. Response time is listed as Tr/Td, 3.2ms/1,2ms What's the problem with that?

The difference being, there isn't a cavalcade of gleeful supporters of the Atacobox on THIS forum, getting all angry any time someone shares a less than flattering opinion of said vaporware.

But up in here, there's a veritable mid-80's Dallas Cowboys Cheerleading squad for the Arcade1Up, fervently defending the honor of a cheap arcade knockoff, shaking their bikini-smuggled gaming bits at the damn thing like it's going to start throwing singles at them.

You're literally imagining that there's cheerleading going on here. Liking something for what it is is not the same as being a fervent supporter. You, on the other hand, are clearly in the haters-no-matter-what-and-for-any-and-every-reason club. There is no polar opposite of you in this thread.

Once more of us in this thread get it - or at least get hands-on time in a store or something - we can then have a more fruitful and authoritative discussion about the pros and cons. There's not that much longer to wait.

• Like 4

You're literally imagining that there's cheerleading going on here. Liking something for what it is is not the same as being a fervent supporter. You, on the other hand, are clearly in the haters-no-matter-what-and-for-any-and-every-reason club. There is no polar opposite of you in this thread.

Once more of us in this thread get it - or at least get hands-on time in a store or something - we can then have a more fruitful and authoritative discussion about the pros and cons. There's not that much longer to wait.

Well - I like to look at it this way:

1. my "hater" opinion is based on mountains of evidence with previous attempts at "arcade quality" home gaming products that fell well short of the mark by every reasonable estimation that we have all handled/owned/been disappointed by.

b. your "supporter" opinion is based mostly on what you hope and want this product to be, and not necessarily on what everything the existing evidence we can reference thus far tells us it is.

Also - and don't take this as a slight, but more so just an observation: you seem to have a blind spot here, in that a lot of your take on these stems from the "you don't know what goes into bringing one of these things to market" angle, because you've had direct involvement in other retrogaming products. But I think where the disconnect happens is that most people really don't care how hard it is on the manufacturer to bring one of these to market. It's irrelevant. The only thing that matters is: does the end product quality deliver on the marketing promises and expectations? Very few people really feel pity for the corporate machine churning out a product like this, except other people who work in that industry.

That's a bit like having a car salesman tell you that the lackluster seat coverings and smallish trunk capacity shouldn't factor into your purchase of a new car, because you don't know how hard it is to design an affordable car.

If the goal is to play games from the 80s, can somebody explain to me why the age of the monitor technology matters if it does the job it's asked to do? Especially when it comes to spec'ing out hardware for playing decades-old games, I'm keenly aware of right-sizing things to avoid pointless costs; to wit, my MAME cabinet has a 2005 computer and a monitor from probably 2002 or so, and it handily plays thousands of games at full speed with vastly-more-than-adequate display quality.

What does a modern 4k TV bring to the table when playing games with primitive pixelated sprites (other than to emphasize how primitive they are)? I'm genuinely curious.

Are there any first-hand accounts/reviews that decry the quality of the image provided by the Arcade1up monitors (aside from arcade collector snobs who hate anything that isn't a 15hz CRT)?

If the goal is to play games from the 80s, can somebody explain to me why the age of the monitor technology matters if it does the job it's asked to do? Especially when it comes to spec'ing out hardware for playing decades-old games, I'm keenly aware of right-sizing things to avoid pointless costs; to wit, my MAME cabinet has a 2005 computer and a monitor from probably 2002 or so, and it handily plays thousands of games at full speed with vastly-more-than-adequate display quality.

What does a modern 4k TV bring to the table when playing games with primitive pixelated sprites (other than to emphasize how primitive they are)? I'm genuinely curious.

Are there any first-hand accounts/reviews that decry the quality of the image provided by the Arcade1up monitors (aside from arcade collector snobs who hate anything that isn't a 15hz CRT)?

There have been a couple of comments noted that because of the short height of the cabinets, and the cramped size of the control panels for multiplayer games, that off-axis views of the screen suffer a bit. Maybe not enough to completely dismiss them, but just as another added bullet point to the list of things that are potentially disappointing.

Also - and don't take this as a slight, but more so just an observation: you seem to have a blind spot here, in that a lot of your take on these stems from the "you don't know what goes into bringing one of these things to market" angle, because you've had direct involvement in other retrogaming products. But I think where the disconnect happens is that most people really don't care how hard it is on the manufacturer to bring one of these to market. It's irrelevant. The only thing that matters is: does the end product quality deliver on the marketing promises and expectations? Very few people really feel pity for the corporate machine churning out a product like this, except other people who work in that industry.

That's a bit like having a car salesman tell you that the lackluster seat coverings and smallish trunk capacity shouldn't factor into your purchase of a new car, because you don't know how hard it is to design an affordable car.

Just because I can appreciate it from a business standpoint doesn't mean that has anything to do with my standpoint as a lifetime gamer. Even if I wasn't able to evaluate it for competitive purposes, the gamer me would still be buying the exact model that I pre-ordered. I don't get why it's so incredibly hard for you to understand why some people are interested in this. You have an amazing blindspot here.

• Like 2

Just because I can appreciate it from a business standpoint doesn't mean that has anything to do with my standpoint as a lifetime hanger. Even if I wasn't able to evaluate it for competitive purposes, the gamer me would still be buying the exact model that I pre-ordered. I don't get why it's so incredibly hard for you to understand why some people are interested in this. You have an amazing blindspot here.

No - I get why some people are interested in it. The idea is actually a pretty solid idea, and they aren't that far off from hitting the mark on a good product.

It's just interesting to me, and worth discussing in my opinion, how - when issues with the quality are revealed in 1st hand reviews, some people's reaction is "yeah, that's disappointing, maybe I'll wait." when other's instinct is to say "It's not a big deal, you're only paying $300, if you could do better on your own, I'd like to see you try it!"

Now I get that most people here view my opinion as "These suck, don't bother." and that's fine. I'm cynical, and fully admit it. I just think that settling for mediocre sets a low bar for future products, and that's a bummer.

The one thing I will give Arcade1Up a ton of credit for is that they are going out of their way to publicly acknowledge, and address the issues people are finding, and rectifying them. That's a good sign.

Yes, it seems like they're doing a very good job of staying on top of things. From their Facebook posting:

"We know some of you have had issues with control panel paint, a glitch in Gauntlet Level 31 and with reaching Customer Service. We are here to tell you we have heard you, and have put in place solutions for all 3! We will continue to work hard to make sure each and every one of our fans is a happy gamer.

If needed, Customer Service can be reached at:

customerservice@arcade1up.com

Have a great weekend everyone!"
"Arcade1UpOfficial Yes. Any machine that has the Level 31 glitch (which is not all Rampage machines -- only a small percentage) will receive a new panel to give you a new version of Gauntlet."
"Arcade1UpOfficial Kurt Baumann Any issues with Gauntlet will be fixed in the new boards we send out."

Vewing angle is one thing.. this was something I dealt with when building a barcade where the original monitor I shoved in there did NOT look good when looking at it from anything else than straight-on. I got another better IPS monitor and it made a pretty huge difference.

I actually had that concern back in this post which referred to this vid https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm1NUl_lPkv/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link But again, we'll see.

Aside from that there's also lag/response time etc. but unless it's super bad, most people are fine for the most part.