IGNORED

Intellivision Entertainment launching a NEW Intellivision console

Rev

I'm sure that was the intent, and he specifically said "let them do what they do" at one point. The problem is that they are in no way on an equal footing, and that seemed to be one implication of what he was saying. Another is that there's this giant untapped audience out there that even Nintendo is ignoring - he also mentioned "middle America" several times, and said something like "we look at this and go pffft, but we're gamers! What about all the non-gamers!" First of all, I don't want a game console for non-gamers. That was *never* what the Intellivision was about. The Intellivision was always for the most hardcore of the hardcore - that was their whole ad campaign. That's why I wanted one as a kid.

Second, this notion that there's a huge untapped market out there that's being ignored... I mean, come on. He went on and on about how he can't even recommend Nintendo to families he knows because they have too much blood in their games. What?! I don't need a console for non-gamers and I certainly do not need one for someone of that level of prudishness.

But again, not to contradict myself, I'll probably buy one if it's not like $300. But only because it's a new system actually from some of the guys who made the original. I just don't feel like this is really in the spirit of the original system. They're not going to get anywhere by trying to be a more family-friendly Nintendo.

Sort of think you're reacting too emotionally here; from what I can gather, he wasn't talking about Nintendo's games being too violent (tho I suppose he could try making a case with games like Smash Bros., technically you are beating people the f up in that xD), but rather the fact their systems have become more accepting of violent content from 3rd parties, which is true. They've gradually been going that way since N64, also don't forget they've funded games like Bayonetta 2 and pushed for deals with Capcom to bring Resident Evil to Gamecube back in the day.

Wouldn't take mentioning that as a sign of disrespect because truthfully, this is a business and these companies are trying to compete for your dollar. There's no rulebook where they need to treat any other potential competitor like a king, just so long as it doesn't come down to complete malicious defamation. You would probably be surprised at some of the low-brow things Nintendo and Sony have done in the past to get at competitors and while questionable on personal tastes, at the end of the day...it was still business and still legally permissible. So I wouldn't get so hung up on that stuff.

All that said, I think Intellivision need to keep in mind that Nintendo in particular is still a very family-friendly company even if you can get violent games on their systems, because their *marketing* frames them that way. You don't see them pushing FPS and adult-orientated games in their mainline Switch advertising, hell I don't even recall them showing off Bayonetta 2 that much and they published that game AND helped fund it! So the perception to consumers is a family-friendly system. Honestly, the PS4's about as family-friendly a system as the Switch, it has an even greater number of E-E10-rated games on it for example. However Sony's marketing positions it as a system for older audiences, so that's the perception they create out there for the platform's brand image.

And it's that perception these guys will have to try making with the Amico. Arbitrarily banning T and M-rated games from your platform...is not the best way to do that, they're just turning away money to help feed the ecosystem.

All the other stuff I'm more or less onboard with, but I'm highly skeptical of what tends to be the most important part of any system here, the controllers. If those aren't done well, then it can ruin the whole experience. I'm not sure Intellivision controllers are the best controllers to take inspiration from, even for something of a spiritual successor.

Gamers will hate the controller, just like how they ridiculed the steam controller. You move a button a couple of millimeters and gamers yell and scream. Fortunately they are targeting "non-gamers". I'm not sure how many "non-gamers" that play video games there are. I can't speak for anyone else but I think the intellivision controller is an excellent controller to draw inspiration. I like that it's ambidextrous. I hope they can make the touchpad feel like buttons.

Wow.. if that is what they are suggesting, this console might be a hit. Everyone I show my MAME and Retropie units to always ask me how they can get one.

MAME and some other stand-alone software emulators are the gold standard. And by demonstrating top-tier emulators on appropriate hardware I've single-handedly been responsible for the sales of several hundred R-Pi boards and Intel NUC SFF PCs over the years - often times giving them away to those who can't afford one.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

Ugliest laziest POS junk, grease ll Bowling Bag of the 60s looking, foot masseger, bathroom after morning dump scale, prego tester going, embarrassing design and the Panel was a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would not buy it nor take it for free

I am so sorry that Kieth Robinson and others have to look down or ABOVE to see this junk!!!!!!!

Anyone could have done better

SF8MzIP.gif?noredirect

Gamers will hate the controller, just like how they ridiculed the steam controller. You move a button a couple of millimeters and gamers yell and scream. Fortunately they are targeting "non-gamers". I'm not sure how many "non-gamers" that play video games there are. I can't speak for anyone else but I think the intellivision controller is an excellent controller to draw inspiration. I like that it's ambidextrous. I hope they can make the touchpad feel like buttons.

I got the chance to hold some 3D prototypes of the controllers in my hands after the talk. They are about 85% done with the exterior shape of the controllers. At this point they are experimenting with tuning the shape for comfort and aesthetics with things like how much to round the edges, whether to have the controller sit flat or curved lengthwise (the latter felt better), etc.

The touch screen will be a mostly flat touchscreen but will have 1 or more tiny bumps to help users find the center button (or buttons). This is similar to the tiny bumps on some of your keyboard keys. Not as tactile as the original Intellivision buttons but then again the toughscreen will not be limited to only a grid of 3x4 buttons (other game designs possible).

• Like 1

For folks wondering why the live stream of the announcement had a ~4 minute gap where the camera showed the audience instead of Tommy or the main screen, this is because PRGE attendees got a sneak peak at the Amico videos they will be releasing Monday. I was in the audience so I don't know if the live stream showed the live audience reacting to the video or a recording of the audience from earlier.

Regarding the "negativity", I took it as criticism of where the gaming industry has gone and the markets it had abandoned along the way. For example, Nintendo themselves admit they missed an opportunity when they had initial non-gamer success with the Wii.

• Like 2

For folks wondering why the live stream of the announcement had a ~4 minute gap where the camera showed the audience instead of Tommy or the main screen, this is because PRGE attendees got a sneak peak at the Amico videos they will be releasing Monday. I was in the audience so I don't know if the live stream showed the live audience reacting to the video or a recording of the audience from earlier.

I was wondering if they showed the video on the live stream... I know Tommy at one point said "don't tell anyone yet" during his talk, and my immediate thought was "he does know they're live streaming this, right?"

"Regarding the "negativity", I took it as criticism of where the gaming industry has gone and the markets it had abandoned along the way. For example, Nintendo themselves admit they missed an opportunity when they had initial non-gamer success with the Wii."

I agree 100%... seems if you're not playing some sort of COD, Fortnite, or any other FPS/3rd Person shooter... You're not a gamer. The market has abandoned you. Hopefully they can re-target that market and find a solid niche. Games are too violent now and have lost what a game is supposed to be, simply something you play and walk away from. Not build your entire existence around.

• Like 4

Ugliest laziest POS junk, grease ll Bowling Bag of the 60s looking, foot masseger, bathroom after morning dump scale, prego tester going, embarrassing design and the Panel was a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would not buy it nor take it for free

I am so sorry that Kieth Robinson and others have to look down or ABOVE to see this junk!!!!!!!

Anyone could have done better

To my eyes, it looks like ALL that 1950's/1960's architecture of what THEY thought THEN what the future would look like. Think Memphis International Airport (google images if you have never been there). https://www.google.com/search?q=memphis+international+airport&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwis5bW0lpreAhWHvlMKHUuDAeQQ_AUIECgD&biw=1920&bih=938#imgrc=6dy5c3ntAN4onM:

As for E rating games....i guess all of us holding out for Space Cunt on this system will be sorely disappointed (maximum sarcasm mode).

So, am i reading the tea leaves correctly. It has NO games loaded on it from day one and we buy them all for 8 bux or less?

Again, if the Intellivision Gods are reading this thread...having games that had 'quirks' fixed with options for both...would be bad arse!

Imagine Swords And Serpents main screen with options for 1. Original Game play (with no real ending) and 2. Same Graphics with a newly created ending when you get to the dragon.

Also...Lock N Chase with original game play (odd sluggish latency ridden play) and a 'responsive' mode where the disc move feels connected to the thief on the screen.

Small things like that would be FAB for us old farts who grew up on these games.

D

Edited by Denicio
  • Like 2

While I have my doubts, too. I am very much excited about this project, especially since the (original) Intellivision was before me time. Definitely I look forward to seeing what they have an store including if they will include legacy games like what was available on the Intellivision Flashback on the new system.

Their press release says "several" new games will be built-in with the system.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/intellivision-reveals-initial-details-for-the-upcoming-amico-home-video-game-console-300734998.html

It doesn't mention the original intellivision games or emulation but previously they said they will include all the old games they can for free.

Imagic's Swords and Serpents is on the list for a remake but Locknchase is not. Not sure how you're going to play baseball with that keypad/touchscreen.

Here's the trailer you didn't see in the live stream. They left the best for the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xokUnn1lBGA&feature=youtu.be

Looks like the disc doesn't spin, unfortunately. Is it digital or analog.

fb1de7_3f9e6ad567224bcabd3e6d5b9364cce2~

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 4

All the other stuff I'm more or less onboard with, but I'm highly skeptical of what tends to be the most important part of any system here, the controllers. If those aren't done well, then it can ruin the whole experience. I'm not sure Intellivision controllers are the best controllers to take inspiration from, even for something of a spiritual successor.

I don't have any issues with the original controllers but I find it interesting that they are following the same design considering how much most people hate the original design and considering how controller design has evolved so much since 1979.

Their press release says "several" new games will be built-in with the system.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/intellivision-reveals-initial-details-for-the-upcoming-amico-home-video-game-console-300734998.html

It doesn't mention the original intellivision games or emulation but previously they said they will include all the old games they can for free.

Imagic's Swords and Serpents is on the list for a remake but Locknchase is not. Not sure how you're going to play baseball with that keypad/touchscreen.

Here's the trailer you didn't see in the live stream. They left the best for the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xokUnn1lBGA&feature=youtu.be

Looks like the disc doesn't spin, unfortunately. Is it digital or analog.

fb1de7_3f9e6ad567224bcabd3e6d5b9364cce2~

Thanks for this!

Wonder what reimagined/remade Astrosmash will be like.

As stated before, no matter where they TAKE these games...i also hope they have the option for the orginial games with their original looks, sounds and gameplay. I having both would be mind blowing. Not having OEM games exactly as they were programmed would be a HUGE mistake, IMO.

After watching the trailer I love the idea and they really do have an all-star cast behind it, which certainly bodes well for the Amico successfully coming to market. Perrin Kaplan knows how to get things done. My only criticism is that it would sure be nice if they changed the aesthetics of the system to make it look less like a piece of medical equipment and more like the Intellivision II. That said, I'm totally down for some Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Cloudy Mountain and Treasure of Tarmin with modernized graphics!

Edited by Jin
  • Like 7

I don't have any issues with the original controllers but I find it interesting that they are following the same design considering how much most people hate the original design and considering how controller design has evolved so much since 1979.

You can hold it sideways like an NES controller.

• Like 3

... My only criticism is that it would sure be nice if they changed the aesthetics of the system to make it look less like a piece of medical equipment and more like the Intellivision II...

Personally, I was hoping for an Intellivision III or IV vibe like the concept renderings I've posted in my gallery. But I can go with what has been proposed.

Well, thinking critically, I guess two years gives them awhile to sort out games. I just don't know what to make of this on the whole. Intellivision is going to have almost no brand recognition, and it just seems like a lot of weird, pie in the sky hopes kind of stuff. The family friendly thing... okay? I don't play a ton of gory games, really. The focus on local multiplayer... totally down with that. Better 2D than anything ever? Uh... show, don't tell, I guess.

I'm selfish. I don't really care if a system is going to appeal to the masses (beyond the point of will the console have more than like two games ever; I care in that sense); I care if it's going to appeal to me. I don't know enough yet to know if this appeals to me.

I can't imagine buying too many more systems in my life time (other than upgrades and future proofing kind of stuff). Not because I'm gonna croak tomorrow or anything... I just mean that there's only so many more times where I'm going to want the newest/latest. Honestly, I surprised myself when I broke down and bought a PS4. I do own plenty of third party titles for it, but nearly half of them are physical representations of digital only games. My PS4 sees far more use as indie game platform X than it does as playing the next Call of Duty or whatever. Same with my Swtich... I own two physical games at the moment, but a ton of indie and arcade whatnot. It's where my head goes to. If this thing has neat games that I can't get anywhere else, I may check it out. If not, I have a perfectly service real Intellivision with 40+ games.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Not unlike Tommy. :)

• Like 2