IGNORED

Help me troubleshoot

Opry99er

So I took the cover off the printer and looked inside.....

At first I didn't notice anything particularly devastating.... no busted capacitors, no mice or other rodentia. Traces seemed to be in good shape and there were no bulging caps.

I did notice some corrosion on the legs of one 74LS373 chip though.... looks like it could be pretty bad. This is an 8 bit latch and could very well be a part of the printer's 1K Print buffer system.

It is hard to tell whether the corrosion is bridging pins or not. See the last picture for an up-close picture of the chip in question.

post-24953-0-59457900-1549780709_thumb.jpeg

post-24953-0-52863600-1549780758_thumb.jpeg

post-24953-0-46470500-1549780806_thumb.jpeg

No dice. I am using a very nice Space Shuttle-C parallel printer cable hooked up to my CF7+ device.

I have tried 3 different methods now... printing from RS232 PIO port, from the CF7+ parallel printer port, and from LPT1 on my PC. All yield the same stubborn silence from my printer. The programs on the TI from which I am trying to print all exhibit the same behavior (freeze up or pause until I break out of the attempt with FCTN+4).

You might also need to check the bottom of the board. I see that spot of corrosion off the board too.

I pulled an old Colecovision controller out of storage to map its electronics, and noticed the screws were rusted. Getting inside, I found even more corrosion. When following traces, I discovered a couple of spots where the the traces were completely corroded off--no electrical connection whatsoever across that spot. If that turns out to be the case here, you're going to have to run some jumper wires.

Also, do you happen to have a manual with a schematic?

Edited by ChildOfCv

I've got jumper wires.... I'm just not looking forward to taking this board out. It's under all the mechanical components, and I don't see a super easy way to detach the board from the case or the carriages.

I'll look at it again tonight... see if I am missing something obvious.

At this point, I may be done. Thanks so much to everyone for your help. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a Panasonic KX-P1124 today at a local junk shop. The ribbon is probably completely dried out, but it will teach me what I need to know.

I'll hook it up tonight once I get my room straightened up. I'm long overdue for a good Cleaning our and re-organizing. That's going to be the rest of my day...

• Like 3

I picked up a Panasonic KX-P1124 today at a local junk shop. The ribbon is probably completely dried out, but it will teach me what I need to know.

I'll hook it up tonight once I get my room straightened up. I'm long overdue for a good Cleaning our and re-organizing. That's going to be the rest of my day...

wd40 will revive the ribbon enough for testing

Indeed. The 1091 is dead.... or at least the portion of it which accepts and interprets input from a computer.

This one--I just plugged in my old cable, turned on BASIC, and it immediately did what it was told.... admittedly with a dried out ribbon.

I have a fresh pack of ribbons on the way. :D