IGNORED

Another F6 bankswitching conversion...

Thomas Jentzsch

I don't know the game very well' date=' but It runs without problems on my PAL TV :-)[/quote']

Now that it seems to be confirmed to work' date=' I could quite easily also convert the PAL version. If there is any demand.[/quote']

DEMAND :D

On the one hand, this is not the most colorfull game, but where

colors are used, the NTSC version looks especially bad on PAL TVs if you ask me ....

Wow that was quick and it works well !

Are PAL Gyruss rare, or why are you interested?

Well, I don't own a lot of carts and I am not a collector. So I don't know if it is rare or not.

The reason why I am interested is, because I want to play it on the real thing. The new version of my flashcart will not support E0 bankswitching. So the only way to play it is a non E0 bankswitched version.

Gyruss actually was one of those games which made the decision not to support E0 bankswitching more difficult for me. But now that it is converted to F4, I don't worry too much about that :-)

@Thomas

Now all I need to be able to play every good 2600 game is:

An eprom burner

An eprom eraser

A f4 bankswitch board from pixels past

And a dig dug cart.

Anyone willing to donate for my cause is welcome to. :)

@Thomas

Now all I need to be able to play every good 2600 game is:

An eprom burner

An eprom eraser

A f4 bankswitch board from pixels past

And a dig dug cart.

Sorry, I can't help you here, because I don't own anything on your list too.

:idea: But check for Susuwatari's last post in the Ewok Adventure thread. Maybe he can help you.

The cheap programmers are down to $30 now. For an eraser I'm using a g7 germicidal bulb in an old arcade marquee fixture in a homemade box. Alternately you can use nvrams so you don't have to erase. e.g. A dallas 1220 will work for a 2k rom. Add a zif socket to your cart and it couldn't get much easier.

Dave

Don't go to eBay for germicidial bulb, those I've checked were nearly twice what I could get for elsewhere!

You could also get G5T5 or G8T5 bulb for about $10 and a cheap fxture from Walmart for under $10. T5 has 2 pins at each ends and is about 3/4" in diameter.

Just make sure whatever you use for a case can completely block the UV ray. direct exposure to UVC is extremely harmful and can cause blindness or other health issue.

I forgot to add, the battery backed RAM like the Dallas chip are quite thick and may not fit inside a 2600 cart case.

Well, If you have a socket in the board, It won't make a difference.

What is the cheapest I can get a programmer for? I mean one that works.

I bought a PCB for a Willem from anyway.no-ip and built it. It reads chips fine but It won't program anything. It's probably because I couldn't find the step up convertor chip, the Mc34063. As for an eraser, I'm not sure but aquatics direct has germicidal bulbs.

Why are all the eprom burners on Ebay so expensive?!?!?!?!?!

The usb ones are like $800! The good ones that are cheap($20.00) are sold by the bastards that make all of their profit on shipping. They charge $30+ for something that shouldn't cost more than $12.00 via usps.

I made labels of my own for my eprom carts. Here are a few pics.

Not very good pics though, I make my own labels for a lot of things.

post-5057-1087451051_thumb.jpg

post-5057-1087451052_thumb.jpg

Hi there!

Those of you following along with the home game might want this too.  It's esentially the same as stella.h but it's the one that I used with this.

Here's the home of DASM:

http://www.taswegian.com/TwoHeaded/Atari2600/dasm/

This is the assembler commonly used by 2600 developers. Also, there you find the 2600 specific support files vcs.h and macro.h

A large community supports and uses these, so it'd be nice if you could use and support this standardized environment too. It makes 2600 source code easy shareble, compilable and understandable.

Greetings,

Manuel

I bought a fully assembled Willem programmer off eBay for under $50 (plus $15 shipping from Taiwan) and it works fine.

There's a message forum at http://www.willem.org/ and if you post your burning problem there, you should be able to get a few helpful solutions.

As for EPROM eraser, I used to find them for under $20 with shipping at or less than $10. The price jumped a few months ago and they are now setting starting price much too high.

Like I said in earlier post, get a germicidial bulb, a cheap bulb fixture from Walmart, and a box. ALso get an egg timer if you don't keep track of time so you'd be reminded to turn it off.

Willems are fine for windows 9x, But unfortunately all of the machines in my house now have XP on them cuz they all crapped out on us and the place we sent them to get them repaired installed XP on them. XP doesn't allow direct access to ports.

• 13 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...