IGNORED

Atari's Landfill Adventures, I now have the proof it's true.

Spud

Are you saying the ones posted are fake then? Or is that some sort of tricky April Fools double (triple) negative?

I haven't seen the first pic yet, with the exception of that one that looks like a piece of coral taken under water and a bunch of generic looking ones that quite frankly I could find anywhere. Please single out and re-post the pics you are refering to. Sorry it's been like 2 weeks and the links Ive seen are all jerky films of news papers and/or newspaper scans with crappy pictures. Like I said...many times. I have no reason not to believe, but at this point I have no reason to believe. Either.

Yes new papers (multiple ones) have been caught printing false stories based on the same false info.

Yes Atari could have had inside friends at the press (Atari was news back then, big news) who would write up a fake story so they could write off inventory.

No Aliens did not abducted Albert Einstein

I think the 2 previous statements are slightly more plausable.

Still it's also possible that it did happen. It wouldn't be outlandish if it did. I just think the people that worked there would have had a clue, and I think there would be more surviving evidence. Please provide these pictures that will convice a skeptic and I'll buy into it. Thanks.

Please stop wasting our time with unfounded and illogical arguements.

HOLY CRAP DUDE I JUST CAUGHT THIS ONE!! LOL

:lolblue:

I cant wait to hear your theories on why you think the moon landing were faked. I'm sure the logic will be over-whelming ;)

Seriously, (not you MayDay, I'll never take what you post serious again… trolling indeed) I'm obviously overlooking something. Basically a couple days into the thread I was convinced it was a April Fools thread and stayed away. I noticed some of the links don't work any more. I didn't see one that remotely resembled having Atari carts in it. Can someone post these pics I've missed? Or maybe once Spud has uploaded all the info he has, put it in one easy to access spot? I would like to see what the fuss is about.

I didn't see one that remotely resembled having Atari carts in it. Can someone post these pics I've missed?

This is from the first video as it pans across the newspaper article.

carts.JPG

Okay, those may or may not be Atari carts, and there are significantly fewer than a million in the picture. However the tag under the picture reads "All that's left - At the floor of the city's newest pit at the landfill Saturday, all that was left of eight truckloads of Atari games was rubble, squished boxes, and a lot of dust.".

Seriously, I can't think of any reason why this wouldn't be on the level. If it's a joke it's not a very funny one. I guess I'm just a believer in the landfill legend.

-S

Or maybe once Spud has uploaded all the info he has, put it in one easy to access spot?

Okay, I had a little time to kill this afternoon, so I went back through this thread and picked out the meaty bits. Here's my page on the great landfill contraversy.

If I missed anything, let me know and I'll add it asap. I'll also try to keep up with the new stuff as it's posted. The page is set up to allow comments, anyone is welcome to leave one down at the bottom of the page.

-S

Wow thanks for taking the time to organize Stingray.

Looks good.

I'll be sure to go through all of whats been posted so far.

The comments field will come in particulaly handy. ;)

Great job to both Spud for gathering and Stingray for presenting this information.

Did anyone notice this? I would guess the ones on the middle are game cartridges, as the shape fits and they are all marked the same. Maybe these boxes could be paddle controller cartridges or something. If one of the boxes were smashed flat (the other appears somewhat intact), the logo would also appear in the same spot on the boxes and looks relatively the same size. If we had the actual photo to analyze, I could probably tell for sure if that's what I think it could be.

And just curious, have you tried to get in touch with Marian McQuiddy yet nudicle? I'm curious what they remember and what they might be able to contribute to the cause in way of photos or anything like that. Marian could probably also provide us details as to how it was percieved locally, as the reports sound like the village elders weren't too happy. They apparently had the law changed in less than 72 hours.

Something else that hasn't been considered... If Atari had more stuff to dump that got banned from Alamogordo, could there be a second dump site somewhere?

That's all for now, there's a national championship on tonight.

-JD

post-6479-1112671948_thumb.jpg

Here is the latest video. It is of the pit whith the cement trucks and such.

I put it in mpeg 2 to show it in a larger window. I noticed something interesting. Look in the bucket of the front end loader. There is a large poster I guess of a girl. Was this some Atari promtional item, or something else mixed in from somewhere else?

http://members.aol.com/atarilandfil1/landfill_photo

And Stingray great page, it looks good so far.

Here is the video of the all thats left photo in mpeg 2 for a bigger screen and a little better detail.

http://members.aol.com/atarilandfill2/whats_left

I'm working on the interview next. (will be in 2 parts) I may have to hit the local library tomorrow and see if I can upload with their dsl.

Enjoy,

Bruce Snyder

Spud's new pictures have been added to the great Atari landfill controversy page. Also for the benefit of those who don't have a fast enough connection to download them, I made an attempt to peice together a still image of the first one. The second one is a little too shaky for me to be able to do this.

Landfill image

Close up the front end loader showing what may or may not be a poster of a girl.

-S

Those aren't pictures, they're mpeg videos.  Spud,in the future can you please name the files with a ".mpg" at the end when you upload them?

Are all of Spud's videos mpegs? I named the first two with .avi extensions (they open either way for me) but if they should have .mpg extensions I'll correct this on the page I've been puting together.

-S

Hmmm Well I know my opinion on this is not shared. (Ah but what the heck it's just opinion)

Dang I wish since we now know reporters were onsite and had camera's that the pictoral evidence was more convincing. Honestly I cant make out anything in those pics other than the bulldozers....bulldozing stuff. I dont even see a poster of a girt much less carts.

I know Atari carts are real, and landfills are real. And I'm pretty sure UFO's are fake, but I've seen clearer pictures of "UFO's" than this. I know I'm being a pain, but can someone point out to me the carts? All I see are trash.

Thanks for the update Spud and thanks once again Stingray for presenting the evidence, I couldnt get those movies to open earlier at work.

Interestingly enough, I did enhance the picture some and came to another somewhat startling conclusion. I didnt see any carts, but I did notice something else some of you naysayers might find interesting.

post-544-1112717076_thumb.jpg

post-544-1112717077.jpg

Those aren't pictures, they're mpeg videos.  Spud,in the future can you please name the files with a ".mpg" at the end when you upload them?

I'll do that, sorry, figured if I could see them everyone could.

I'll do that, sorry, figured if I could see them everyone could.

For what it's worth, all of the videos that I'm hosting on my site have now been given mpeg extensions. Should have everything posted up to this point there, unless anyone sees something that I missed.

-S

First off, I pointed that out because I thought someone may be able to recognize what the boxes would be if that was indeed a logo. I wasn't. And, I obviously spent a lot of time looking at it, drawing by hand is so time-consuming.

For all the nay-sayers, I now have proof even they will not be able to deny.

I used the speed-dial feature on my phone to give my friend Ray a little-ringy dingy. He used to work at Atari, and I think he was even fairly high up in the company. I was shocked when he told me he was present on the day they actually did the dumping. Unfortunetely, the spooks (CIA) came in and took all of their photos and evidence.

The good news is the hippies finally got something right. Using the freedom of information act, I was able to get both a copy of the photograph as well as a memo my friend Ray sent out shortly afterwards. Now we will all know the truth.

-JD

Oh, and sorry, I haven't got the ones of him standing on one leg, or holding a number two pencil, or a sheet of paper yet. I'm still working on it, though.

post-6479-1112768210_thumb.jpg

post-6479-1112768211_thumb.jpg

There's 100x more "evidence" to support UFO's and bigfoot than this, and folks will say, yeah but they're not real, this is.

Hmmm...Am I the only one who sees the flaw in this logic? Let's take bigfoot for example. It doesn't compare with this because they don't have nearly the same level of plausibility. I have seen atari games, and I have seen a dump, so why is it so hard to believe in both at the same time? It's not like you have to postulate a subspecies of hominid that is seen only by drunk hunters in the middle of the night and has yet to leave a shred of biological evidence to believe this is true. I don't see why it's so hard to believe that a real company would put real games in a real dump, especially when supported by real newspaper articles in a real newspaper.

As was said before, the burden of proof has now shifted to the naysayers, who now need to generate proof to the contrary. All you've got, really, is a testimonial by HSW, which isn't really proof at all.

Look, it happened. If HSW hadn't denied it, this would be a non-issue!

There are just way too many ways to cross-verify this event and any real investigative journalist wouldn't have to spend much time to gather plenty more evidence. Just look how far we've come without a heck of a lot of effort.

The newspaper article looks legit. A law was freakin passed in order to prevent it from happening again. These are facts. You could probably track down one of the legislators that passed the law and ask them why they passed it. In theory you could find one of the workers who dozed the carts, even. Or you could try to dig up old IRS records where Atari claimed the tax writeoff on the cartridges (assuming it's not considered private data).

The only thing I think people want now is to isolate the exact location and to bust out some artefacts.

It's unlikely, due to the concrete, that you could extract carts without spending some money on demolition equipment and blowing up a patch. It sounds like it's quite thick.

But technically speaking, it's not impossible to get back in there and pull out some carts, just impractical.

And I would be willing to wager that some carts would have survived intact. Maybe less than 10%, and maybe with broken cart shells, but some of the PCBs are probably still intact and playable.

There is just no way with a small piece like that that you could spend the time and the money to assure that every cart was crushed completely. You'd spend more time doing that then you'd save in the tax writeoff. It would probably have taken weeks to crush carts one by one. The dozers running over a pile of carts will not destroy every single cart. You'd have to run the carts through some kind of shredder or woodchipper to really make it work. They had this device on Engadget that destroyed stuff like this but it doesn't look like they used any kind of recycling machines here, just the crude bulldozers.

I think the concrete was used as a quicker disposal method in order to render the carts unusable. But if you knew exactly where a cart was embedded in concrete you could bust open the concrete and save it. Assuming the carts were spread relatively evenly before pouring the concrete, if you found the patch of concrete you could pretty much guarantee yourself finding something by blowing up a patch or by somehow slicing out some kind of "core sample" of enough diameter and depth.

It's a longshot, but it might be possible to find a stray cart in the general area, and the article does mention that kids were biking through the area and scavenging. So I really don't think the disposal was 100% clean. There were stray carts here and there, or the workers were saving some artefacts for themselves or friends and family.

It might be more likely to find a piece of a crushed cart shell lying around. By now I would expect the boxes to have completely disintegrated. Any intact stray carts would probably have been scavenged before the landfill was closed off.

Obviously, posting a picture of a broken cart shell won't convince anyone. You'd have to go in there with a camcorder and record the scaveging hunt in one continuous take pretty much.

I do think the best approach is to get a cable network or some news outlet to do a formal investigation and get local permission to do a one-time excavation.