IGNORED

7800: Asteroids - VE (Vector Edition)

PacManPlus

:)

I Tried to make the rocks & UFOs look more like the arcade, and I also was able to remove the stars in the background.  Having trouble finding the color, though, so I guess this would be the color vector edition  :P

896961[/snapback]

Cool! I love it. Just three things needed to be 100% arcade feel to it.

1- Try to fine that color line code in order to make it one color only like the White-Line arcade verson.

2- Try to get rid of that Rock-Blast animasion every time you hit the asteroid it should be fine as they split up once you shot it.

3- This maybe hard but if you can remove the old space-sound from the 7800 version with the old arcade -THUD-THUD-THUD- sound^_^

looks nifty (haven't played it yet though)

It'd be nice when the color issue is sorted out to set up white and a couple grays for some anti-aliasing on the vector lines. Looking forward to seeing where this goes, having loved all the various 7800 Pac-incarnations.

Now all we need is 7800 Asteroids Deluxe and Space Duel. Can't let the 2600 (or FB2) get ahead no can we? :)

Thanks for the compliments, guys :)

Ok - Found the color code

@Atariboy2600: What, no label? :P :D

Just as a side note, I've seen the term 'AntiAliasing' used many times, especially in terms of MAME, and I still have no idea what that means... :ponder:

VECTAST.ZIP

post-1787-1122214890_thumb.png

Edited by PacManPlus

Would you belive I have spent quite some time on that and I can't find it?

The 'thrust' part of the graphic is actually always there, but the program turns the color of it between black and (some shade of) red depending on if the button is pressed or not. I have found that it is stored in $E9, but I can't find where it's changed! :(

Of course, later on you could hack this into Space Duel perhaps, thus keeping the colors. :)

This looks good, keep up the good work!  :cool:

899945[/snapback]

Man, I would think that hacking this into space duel would be quite a job. You would have to hack in several different kinds of sprites for the different asteroid objects. that alone would probably be difficult. Then again, I'm no programmer.

Of course, later on you could hack this into Space Duel perhaps, thus keeping the colors. :)

This looks good, keep up the good work!  :cool:

899945[/snapback]

Man, I would think that hacking this into space duel would be quite a job. You would have to hack in several different kinds of sprites for the different asteroid objects. that alone would probably be difficult. Then again, I'm no programmer.

900211[/snapback]

I've been studying some of the 2600 ASM programming tutorials in hopes of learning enough ASM to get into the 7800 one day. I've got a few ideas for some hacks as well as some original ideas for it as well. :)

I believe arcade and 2600 Asteroids pop the player back in when rocks are far enough aay from the center to give time to react (most of the time :) ) 7800 Asteroids just pops you in as flashing/invincible until you move (or wait too long). Probably take a lot of work to change that (a certain level of intelligence/code would have to be added to determine when it's safe to respawn the player)

I wonder if it's easier to hack 7800 Asteroids into Space duel or Asteroids Deluxe? I'd guess Deluxe, since ther'e less overall to add or change. (splitting snowflake-things, and ship shields. the code to animate the rocks is already there)

Looks awesome.  I'm looking forward to the finished product!

*Is holding out for hyper Ms. Pacman. :grin:

901282[/snapback]

Thanks, Shaggy, remowilliams, feralstorm, and sku_u :)

Actually 'Asteroids Ve' is about as finished as I can get it.

If you don't touch the joystick, your ship will continue flashing if there is a rock about to hit you... How long it waits depends on if there are any rocks in your vicinity, so that code actually is already there.

Hyper Ms. Pac-Man? I'll have to do a search for that one...

I was actually thinking of making a two player version of Pac, where one player controls Pac (like normal), and the other controls Blinky (the other monsters will do their normal thing)... Don't know how difficult that would be, or if anyone would want it...

Edited by PacManPlus

Hyper Ms. Pac-Man?  I'll have to do a search for that one...

I was actually thinking of making a two player version of Pac, where one player controls Pac (like normal), and the other controls Blinky (the other monsters will do their normal thing)...  Don't know how difficult that would be, or if anyone would want it...

901774[/snapback]

It was an arcade hack where Ms. Pacman was sped up and the ghosts were kept the same speed as before. There was also an arcade hack of Pacman where both Pacman and the ghosts were sped up quite a bit.

Hyper Ms. Pac-Man?  I'll have to do a search for that one...

I was actually thinking of making a two player version of Pac, where one player controls Pac (like normal), and the other controls Blinky (the other monsters will do their normal thing)...  Don't know how difficult that would be, or if anyone would want it...

901774[/snapback]

It was an arcade hack where Ms. Pacman was sped up and the ghosts were kept the same speed as before. There was also an arcade hack of Pacman where both Pacman and the ghosts were sped up quite a bit.

901811[/snapback]

OH! I thought that was the actual title:

Because there is such a thing as Hyper Pac-Man :)

FireTiger - good idea! let the player pick which monster (s)he wants to play as... :) I may start this after all... Too bad this isn't the 4 port 5200 - three other players against you! :D

Bob

• Like 1