IGNORED

Unfortunately...

...I have been unable to do that. Disks formatted to 720k seem to unreadable at all. I have also used a program called STDisk to make ST disks from the images but they don't seem to work either.

I thought that I would look for the ST program that would mod the disk to be readable in the PC. My drives don't seem to be able to make 360k disks, which I need , since I only have SF354's at the moment.

I have a lot of 360k disks laying around & can format them on the ST. The problem is that they are of course unreadable on the PC since

1) The drives on the PC no longer have 360k ability

2) The MS Dos headers are missing

There was at one time a utility for the St's that wrote the MSDos headers on the ST formatted disks to allow them to be read on the PC. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find this program.

I think youre big problem is that inorder to get a copy program to your ST your gonna have to have a 360K formatted disk. All the ST utils I have convert .st or .msa disks to real 3 1/2 inch floppies. I dont ahve any 360K images - none that have a format utility you need on the ST. Most disk utilities I have are all 720K or higher format :(

I have a lot of 360k disks laying around & can format them on the ST. The problem is that they are of course unreadable on the PC since

1) The drives on the PC no longer have 360k ability

2) The MS Dos headers are missing

There was at one time a utility for the St's that wrote the MSDos headers on the ST formatted disks to allow them to be read on the PC. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find this program.

Have you tried using the dos program st2dos? it takes disks that have been formatted and then makes them readable in both st & pc. I've only used it for 720k disks (and 1.2mb disks with tape over the hole), but it may also work for 360k.

As for copying programs in .st or .msa format from pc to st - I load the .st or .msa file in steem, as the second disk (using a blank image as the first disk), and copy them to the 'hard drive' that I've set up under steem.

Then, I just head over to the directory where I located the 'hard drive' for steem (generally c:steemhomec), and the files are there to be copied. Unfortunately, this means that some disks that require special formatting are not possible under this method (unless I format the disk that way). So, the method is imperfect and I'm looking for a much better way :)

What I meant about the 720K vs 360K is that tools I have convert existing ST images to real 3.5 floppies - but all the ST images I have are all 720K so I couldnt get and tools/utilities in the format you desire since the .st and .msa images I ahve to work with are all 720K.

Getting STEEM to do something prob is your best bet - Make a 360K image, load a 720K image with a format utility or such and copy to the 360K image. The use one of the DOS utilities to make an ST 360K from your 360K .st file.

Well, I have acheived partial success. I successfully extracted the TOS.IMG file from the .ST file. However, because the PC disks simply cannot read or write to a 360k disk, I still am limited by that. Hopefully, I will have a 720k drive shortly.