Tubes for Genesis

17 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce Tomlin OFFLINE  

Bruce Tomlin

River Patroller

• 3,597 posts
  • CD C9 01

Posted Mon Feb 5, 2007 6:18 PM

I got the basics of tile dropping and horizontal/vertical movement working this weekend.

There's also a title screen subroutine in there, but it's not hooked up to anything right now.

Attached File  tubes68_001.bin   10.29KB   573 downloads

#2 haroldoop OFFLINE  

haroldoop

Star Raider

• 81 posts

Posted Mon Feb 5, 2007 7:11 PM

It's looking good so far. ;)
Maybe you should also annouce it at Eidolon's Inn and Spritesmind.
BTW, there's some talk at Eidolon's Inn about making a Sega Genesis programming contest ( forum thread). Maybe you would be interested in participating! :D

#3 vdub_bobby OFFLINE  

vdub_bobby

Quadrunner

• 5,831 posts
  • Boom bam.

Posted Tue Feb 6, 2007 10:04 AM

Looks good! Glad you are working on this again. ;)

#4 Bruce Tomlin OFFLINE  

Bruce Tomlin

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,597 posts
  • CD C9 01

Posted Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:36 PM

I still need to get bombs and conneced groups working, but for that I need to add a state variable for each player.

In the meantime, I've finished the basic dropping mechanics and added the "bomb request". And I added a title screen with a way to select one or two players, something I never got around to in the 7800 version. (Hmm, player 2 can hit the start button with 1 Player selected... I should do something about that.)

Since I don't have game-over working (that needs the state variable too), there is currently no way to get back to the main menu other than by hitting reset.

Attached File  tubes68_002.bin   10.76KB   366 downloads

#5 Bruce Tomlin OFFLINE  

Bruce Tomlin

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,597 posts
  • CD C9 01

Posted Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:12 PM

New version with bomb tiles actually exploding stuff, and tiles falling down when they lose their support.

Now it's time for me to implement the most important routine, the path tracer. Then I'll probably switch back over to my RPG to get the ColecoVision sound routines ported over.

Attached File  tubes68_003.bin   10.99KB   435 downloads

#6 Bruce Tomlin OFFLINE  

Bruce Tomlin

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,597 posts
  • CD C9 01

Posted Tue Mar 6, 2007 4:35 PM

Tile path tracing finally works, so this version finally meets all my minimum requirements!

This is the first Genesis homebrew code I've written that has surpassed its previous version, and I'm glad to finally reach this point. I've got a long list of stuff I still want to tweak before even making it look pretty or supporting multiple levels, but I've got some other stuff (like the sound code for my RPG) that I need to shift over to now, so I'll probably take a break on this for a while.

Changes are:
* title screen shows version number and copyright message
* tracing for fully-capped tile groups now works
* scoring now works (loops = triangle number of tiles looped, bomb = number of tiles destroyed)
* edge caps are set to an interesting pattern which should be rather challenging (these will later change per-level)

Attached File  tubes68_004.bin   11.76KB   367 downloads
The basic rules (for those who didn't know or have forgotten) are:

* make a completely capped group of pipes to score
* cross pipes don't affect pipe capping of the other pipe in the same tile
* the more tiles in your group, the higher your score (triangle number: 1, 3, 6, 10, 15, 21, etc.)
* use bombs to destroy unusable tiles
* game is over when your new tile gets stuck above the top row

Start button pauses the game
C button rotates a tile
D-pad left/right moves the falling tile sideways
D-pad down moves the falling tile down quickly
D-pad up requests a bomb for your next tile (or cancels the request)

#7 vdub_bobby OFFLINE  

vdub_bobby

Quadrunner

• 5,831 posts
  • Boom bam.

Posted Tue Mar 6, 2007 5:05 PM

Very nice! :) Does it get harder? I played for about 5 minutes.

EDIT: Why not use the A or C button for bombs?

Edited by vdub_bobby, Wed Mar 7, 2007 11:30 AM.

#8 Bruce Tomlin OFFLINE  

Bruce Tomlin

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,597 posts
  • CD C9 01

Posted Thu Mar 8, 2007 7:09 PM

Geez, I've just barely got it working. The 7800 version never had varying speeds. Every level is going to have different speeds, colors, random tile distribution, and edge caps. When I get around to it. And probably background graphics, too. One of the nice things about the Genesis is that it has two full graphics planes.

And the reason it doesn't use a button for the bombs is because it was a port from the 7800 (where I didn't want to require a 2-button stick), and I hadn't actually thought about changing it to a button yet.

#9 vdub_bobby OFFLINE  

vdub_bobby

Quadrunner

• 5,831 posts
  • Boom bam.

Posted Fri Mar 9, 2007 10:12 AM

Geez, I've just barely got it working. The 7800 version never had varying speeds. Every level is going to have different speeds, colors, random tile distribution, and edge caps. When I get around to it. And probably background graphics, too. One of the nice things about the Genesis is that it has two full graphics planes.

And the reason it doesn't use a button for the bombs is because it was a port from the 7800 (where I didn't want to require a 2-button stick), and I hadn't actually thought about changing it to a button yet.

Hey, no problem; I was just asking, not demanding. :D

#10 wrenchien OFFLINE  

wrenchien

Stargunner

• 1,119 posts
  • this isn't sparta!

Posted Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:50 PM

Hey, no problem; I was just asking, not demanding. :D

maybe we'll see this as a cart.... anyone design a label for it, etc?

#11 Shannon OFFLINE  

Shannon

Born To Be Insane

• 7,762 posts
  • Pac-man Fever

Posted Thu May 8, 2008 3:20 AM

Just thought I'd throw out a screenshot for those who have not seen this..

Attached Thumbnails

• Tubes.png

#12 Bruce Tomlin OFFLINE  

Bruce Tomlin

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,597 posts
  • CD C9 01

Posted Sun May 11, 2008 1:24 PM

FWIW I haven't been working on this, but I reached a point in Genesis developement a while back where I decided I need to switch to gcc. Straight assembler was fun, but it got tedious after a while. So when I do start again, getting gcc working will be the first thing I do.

#13 Bruce Tomlin OFFLINE  

Bruce Tomlin

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,597 posts
  • CD C9 01

Posted Fri May 15, 2009 8:20 PM

So anyhow, it's been a while. But I did get a GCC3 ported and working (with a script, so it's easy for me to rebuild it), and got things set up for making Genesis binaries with it. Then I ported this thing, and changed my recursive path tracer to a stack+loop tracer. The binary has quadrupled in size, but now it's ALL in C, so it should be a lot easier to add new features.

Since I felt I needed to add something, I've added a 120 second time limit and high score display. Hmm, maybe the high score should be shown while playing the game, but the screen is a bit crowded. I'll have to think about it.

Attached File  tubes_006.bin.zip   21.44KB   349 downloads

#14 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

Nodus Tollens

• 16,743 posts

Posted Fri May 15, 2009 10:16 PM

Seeing this come along on the Genny makes me sad it didn't meet your standards to get completed on the 7800 cause I loved what you had going on the 7800 version (and I still play it too) :(

#15 nonner242 OFFLINE  

nonner242

River Patroller

• 3,664 posts
  • ALL your base ALL belong to us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Fri May 15, 2009 10:28 PM

This looks great! :D
GREAT WORK!

#16 Jess Ragan OFFLINE  

Jess Ragan

Phanto of the Opera

• 9,658 posts
  • Keys and Thank You

Posted Wed May 27, 2009 9:30 PM

There's supposed to be a Genesis BASIC, but I don't know how comprehensive or useful it is.

#17 Impaler_26 OFFLINE  

Impaler_26

Cookie Meister

• 2,596 posts
  • Braindead

Posted Wed May 27, 2009 10:13 PM

There's supposed to be a Genesis BASIC, but I don't know how comprehensive or useful it is.

Apparently you can make great games like this with it. :D

Edited by Impaler_26, Wed May 27, 2009 10:14 PM.

#18 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

Nodus Tollens

• 16,743 posts

Posted Sun Jul 1, 2012 7:41 PM

NECRO-BUMP

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users