IGNORED

Q*Bert going to playstation network

8th lutz

http://www.gameinformer.com/NR/exeres/EA91...CE608FAB05C.htm

The game will support resolutions up to 720p and include worldwide online leaderboards.

Q*bert is slated to be available for download on February 22 for $4.99.

Holy crapola. If that's up even at 12:01 EST, I'm all over it. I'm gonna go check just to see if it's not up early. :lust:

The only thing I don't like is that you have to use the left analog stick to control Q-Bert. There's no option to use the D-Pad. Yet there is an option to control Q by motion sensor, which is really only a novelty because the game ins't really playable that way.

You can use the digital pad. No option, just push the buttons! Although I like the analog stick better, but that's just me.

-mike

You can use the digital pad. No option, just push the buttons! Although I like the analog stick better, but that's just me.

-mike

That's strange. I tried it again today and it suddenly worked. On Thursday I tried to use the D-Pad several times with no response. Oh well, it's working now, so I accidentally told a fib.

So does this play with diagonal movements like the old arcade game? I really hated the 2600 version because I never felt comfortable with the controller (even when held at an angle... still didn't feel right).

Yes, it uses the diagonal movements. The control on this version of the game has been implemented well.

This is awful.

Is there a way to use the D-PAd or not? The analog controls suck.

Yes, it works with the digital joypad.

So does this play with diagonal movements like the old arcade game? I really hated the 2600 version because I never felt comfortable with the controller (even when held at an angle... still didn't feel right).

Yes, it uses the diagonal movements. The control on this version of the game has been implemented well.

Sweet jeepers! That's great news! This would be one of the first things I download on the PS3 if I had one. Only a matter of time until I get one... :)

• 2 weeks later...

IGN gave it a low rating because of the controls. What a bunch of wimps. Sometimes I wonder about gamers these days.

Now something like Zelda Windwaker... I can see where someone would complain about the controls. They are clumsy and inconsistent compared to, say, Zelda TP.

I was reading the forums over at Sony and the guy who is #1 on the leaderboards (with over a million points) is posting on there. People are asking him over and over how he got his score... did he cheat... etc etc. The only thing the guy replies is that he is an gamer from way baaaaack, used to spend many a quarter on Q*bert, and is using his old PATTERNS and STRATEGIES to get his high score.

Well... I'm a gamer from way back and used to play Q*bert quite a bit also. Only thing is... I was never very good at Q*bert..... (but it never stopped me from enjoying the game and I'm still playing it today).

So that brings me to a question: any hints or tips on improving my score? Are there patterns to Q*bert like there were in Pac-Man? Whats the best strategy to have.... fill in bottom corners first or fill in the middle or fill in the top or....?

C'mon, help me guys.. I'd really like to break into the top 100 of this game. I'm tired of being #101 ..sniff sniff...

Mendon

So that brings me to a question: any hints or tips on improving my score? Are there patterns to Q*bert like there were in Pac-Man? Whats the best strategy to have.... fill in bottom corners first or fill in the middle or fill in the top or....?

I never really developed many strategies for Q*Bert until I got the PS3 version. The online scoreboards kind of gave me an incentive to improve. My old high scores on the arcade game used to be around 30,000, but on my second game on PS3 I managed to break 50,000...and within a day or two I topped 100,000. My high right now is somewhere around 130,000.

Here are the strategies I'm starting to use:

1. Use the flying discs to get rid of Coily as often as possible. This is easiest on the first two levels ("level" being a set of four "rounds") since the game isn't too fast, and you don't have to worry about turning the colors of the cubes back to an old color by jumping on them.

2. The green ball is your best friend, since it freezes everything on the screen for a few seconds. Unlike the power pills in Pac-Man, the duration of the green ball effect increases on later levels. This is very useful when you reach level 3 and later, where cubes with the target color can be turned back to their old colors if you jump on them. Use the freeze time wisely to knock off a problem area.

3. In each level, there are four rounds. Rounds 1 and 2 tend to be pretty easy, but rounds 3 and 4 are faster, and Slick and Sam appear more frequently to undo your hard work. Starting on level 2, I use a different starting tactic for rounds 1 and 2 than I do for 3 and 4. On rounds 1 and 2, I start off by making my way down toward the bottom, and working on getting the cubes closes to the middle to the proper colors. After that, I'll go to one corner, then up toward the top (usually via the flying disc), then to the other corner. On rounds 3 and 4, however, I start by going almost immediately towards one of the corners, then work on the opposite corner, then finish with the middle area. The reason for that is because Slick and Sam appear early and often, and are more likely (because of probability) to go towards the middle as they descend. Also, if you do the two corners first, then go to the middle and try working your way back up, then you have a good chance of intercepting them.