IGNORED

Why is my ps2 slim so freakin loud?

AtariJr

I put in a copy of Star Wars Racer Revenge. It is beat up, i have to admit, as well... lets just say i love gamestop lol :roll:

ANYwho, when i played it my drive was horrendously loud. i thought it was because it was spinning harder to try to read the disk. i mean my desk was literally vibrating and shaking... it was horrible. well, after a bit i turned the game off as it kept freezing (unrelated, just telling you why i switched games... i need to repair that disk)

so i put in star wars battlefront II for the first time. ive had the xbox version, but i bought the ps2 version since its the only console now that i have at college here. when you are in the levels though, it makes a "CLICK CLICK" about every 1.5 seconds... non stop, for the whole level. it was to the point where my roomate actually asked me to put the sound back UP so that it coudl drown out the REALLY loud squeeking of the drive so he could sleep.

during a load i heard it kinda "choke"... it made a louder CLICK CLICK, and then all of a sudden went quiet during the load. now the click clicks are there, but not as bad as before... however its still louder than my ps2 slim used to be, and ive not ever had a game till now thast needed to read off the disk ALL the time.

im curious, is this normal? does my ps2 slim had a problem? is SW BF II for the ps2 like this?

thanks for the help you guys. much appreciated in advance..

i really want to know soon as the warrantee is going to be up for this one, so if its bad i want to be able to replace it (god i hope i dont need a THIRD ps2 slim sigh)

Edited by AtariJr

It sounds like it's got a problem, it sounds like maybe the tracks inside need to be greased.

My fat PS2 used to make the same clicking sounds, there was a time that it even made grinding noises, but when I greased the tracks it was totally quiet again.

Here's a video guide on how to fix it, it's for the fat PS2, but whether your PS2 is fat or thin it doesn't really make any difference, although unlike in the video I greased the screwdriver track as well, http://www.metacafe.com/watch/302048/fixin...sk_read_errors/

Edited by Ross PK

Try switching positions and then put the disc in and power the console on.

eh? you mean verticle and horizontal? sorry it sounds like your talking about something naughty lol.

anywho, this vid kinda makes me nervous... i mean , the slim looks like a much more delicate piece of hardware.. not sure i want to experiement and try to figure out how to get in there. i really am wondering if this is the problem. im going to try one of my other games that i know doesnt make a sound.. maybe its just these games, idk.. im hoping.

ok, i just tried ace combat 5. and i can hear it click every once in a while in game play. now i cant remember if it is supposed to be hearable like this or not. but its not nearly as bad as Racer was thats for sure. its not bad at all. battlefrton still clicks every other second though, which really do get annoying to hear.

if you guys really think the lube is the problem, maybe i just need to bite the bullet and do this. do you think it was Racer that messed up my ps2 since it was loading it to the point where it was vibrating my desk? if so, i really should call gamestop and thank them

ok, i put star wars racer in my roomate's ps2 slim and it just hummed a bit, just fine. i put it back in my ps2, and it hums, only the tadest louder than his, but now its like there is no problem.. im not kidding you, the damn game sounded HORRIBLE last night.

could it have been that osmething just popped loose or something? it has acted better ever since that really loud CLICK from last night..

Try switching positions and then put the disc in and power the console on.

eh? you mean verticle and horizontal?

Yeah. It may fix it. What position was it in when it made the noises?

verticle.. i just recently got a verticle stand for it... hmm

It's time to send it in. I think that clicking is coming from the laser transport. Most optical drives have a rack and a worm gear that move the laser head back and forth. When the rack wears out, you can hear the click and the worm spins and tries to correctly position the laser head. Also when the rack wears out, the laser cannot be positioned precisely. Each click wears the rack down even more.

This problem will not fix itself, and a vertical position will only postpone the inevitable. Send it in to be fixed before the warranty is out.

It's time to send it in. I think that clicking is coming from the laser transport. Most optical drives have a rack and a worm gear that move the laser head back and forth. When the rack wears out, you can hear the click and the worm spins and tries to correctly position the laser head. Also when the rack wears out, the laser cannot be positioned precisely. Each click wears the rack down even more.

This problem will not fix itself, and a vertical position will only postpone the inevitable. Send it in to be fixed before the warranty is out.

its from a used game store.. ill just have to get ANOTHER replacement ... sigh, thanks for the help. please god let the third one be IT.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I've had two DVD drives die like that. If I'm not mistaken, it makes sort of a cross between a buzz and a click. It'll do that when you start the machine up, then it'll do it sometimes during use, next it'll start doing it every time you close the drive tray with or without a disc. Finally, it'll stop reading discs, usually one at a time.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I've had two DVD drives die like that. If I'm not mistaken, it makes sort of a cross between a buzz and a click. It'll do that when you start the machine up, then it'll do it sometimes during use, next it'll start doing it every time you close the drive tray with or without a disc. Finally, it'll stop reading discs, usually one at a time.

yea.. its a buzzing click noise for sure.. you should hear it.. i mean its enough to wake up my roomate.. and he can sleep through my 5.1 surround sound lol. ill have to go tomorrow morning to the store.. the people there are always so rude.. theyre going to hate me for bringing in a second system lol, ah well...

maybe ill just see if they will give me my money back so i can spend 40 more dollars and just get a new one.

well i exchanged it today. this one sounds muuuuch better. of course i looked like a crazy guy going in to return my second ps2... and the music in the place was loud so when they first booted the ps2 the guy didnt "hear any odd noises". so after putting his ear to the system and for some reason why playing my copy of Battlefront II for 15 minutes straight (i had to actually ask him if playing the system for that long was helping ... and that i needed to get going) i finally got the replacement system.

of course the jerk dropped my controller before putting everything back in my bag, so now there is something rattling in there.... yay. :roll:

of course the jerk dropped my controller before putting everything back in my bag, so now there is something rattling in there.... yay. :roll:

People....you just gotta love 'em eh? :D

I would have told the douche to replace that as well. Luckily all the EB employees here are really nice and don't act miserable that they are there.

Edited by xenomorpher

yea, its been hitting the rumble thingy in there.. on the left side. so everytime i got hit or something in twisted metal black i could hear it being shot all around in there . it was kinda funny, just about an hour ago i felt it get knocked really hard to the center of the controller, and now i cant make it rattle.. must have gotten wedged in there lol. yea, i guess after 45 min of being ther ei just wanted to get out. i didnt think the fall woudl do that to it, and i was dumb not to check.

im was going to open it up and get the piece out, but i dont have screwdrivers long and tiny enough to fit the deep holes

:ponder:

wow that sounded wrong