600/800XL Keyboard variants

110 replies to this topic

#101 fernan OFFLINE  

fernan

Space Invader

• 15 posts

Posted Tue Jan 2, 2018 9:34 PM

hi all 

1 quick question that is slightly on topic.

Can anybody confirm that the keyboard is mounted to the top case with 4 screws and 3washers?

my keyboard is mounted to the case with 4 screws, in between them are 3 washers. Am i missing a washer or maybe the washer was added later by the original owner of my atari 600xl

this video of the 800xl keyboard seems to have 2 washers.     

#102 tjlazer OFFLINE  

tjlazer

Stargunner

• 1,927 posts
  • Retro Atari Addict

Posted Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:53 AM

hi all 

1 quick question that is slightly on topic.

Can anybody confirm that the keyboard is mounted to the top case with 4 screws and 3washers?

my keyboard is mounted to the case with 4 screws, in between them are 3 washers. Am i missing a washer or maybe the washer was added later by the original owner of my atari 600xl

this video of the 800xl keyboard seems to have 2 washers.     

Mine only had 2 washers on the left side!  No washers on the right.  Seems it varies to address any wobble of the keyboards?

#103 tjlazer OFFLINE  

tjlazer

Stargunner

• 1,927 posts
  • Retro Atari Addict

Posted Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:56 AM

Bump!  I just wanted to say that I just installed a new 2018 version of Best's mylar for the 800XL and it works great!  I had one with a badly damaged mylar that I could not even begin to mess with to repair.  $32 for the new Mylar.

http://www.best-elec...board Mylar.htm

#104 tjlazer OFFLINE  

tjlazer

Stargunner

• 1,927 posts
  • Retro Atari Addict

Posted Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:40 PM

Close up of switch.

I have another 800XL with the type 2 keyboard with one key (RETURN) that does not work.  It seems it's the switch as the traces are fine.  Tested them.  What can I do to try to fix it?  Would I need a new switch?

Attached Thumbnails

• bad key.jpg

Edited by tjlazer, Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:42 PM.

#105 Sugarland OFFLINE  

Sugarland

Chopper Commander

• 125 posts

Posted Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:24 PM

Can it be opened up? It looks here like you are not seeing the switch. Might need contact cleaner or a bending of the metal contacts to make better contact.  I'm not familiar with the type 2's.

#106 tjlazer OFFLINE  

tjlazer

Stargunner

• 1,927 posts
  • Retro Atari Addict

Posted Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:29 PM

Tried contact cleaner a few times and it did not help.  So do these key switches just unsolder off?  Thinking of removing it to check it out, but might as well try to order a replacement at this point before I dive into it...  Where can I get one?

#107 Sugarland OFFLINE  

Sugarland

Chopper Commander

• 125 posts

Posted Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:54 PM

Tried contact cleaner a few times and it did not help.  So do these key switches just unsolder off?  Thinking of removing it to check it out, but might as well try to order a replacement at this point before I dive into it...  Where can I get one?

Yes the switch assembly should come out once the solder points on the under side of the PCB are desoldered.  Note: I've not done that myself.   Do you mean replacement switch or keyboard?

XL keyboards aren't cheap best to try to fix or replace the switch. That keyboard is worth trying to fix.

#108 tjlazer OFFLINE  

tjlazer

Stargunner

• 1,927 posts
  • Retro Atari Addict

Posted Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:39 PM

I fixed it, was easier than I thought.  I unsoldered the key.  Then I opened it up and straightened the metal leaf part inside, and it tested good.  Reinstalled it and it's fixed.  At the same time I noticed some cold solder joints on the back and 4 more keys didn't work.  Had to do some more soldering and repairing a broken pad, all is good now!  100% working.

https://deskthority....I_pushbuttons-2

Edited by tjlazer, Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:32 AM.

#109 Sugarland OFFLINE  

Sugarland

Chopper Commander

• 125 posts

Posted Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:17 AM

I fixed it, was easier than I though.  I unsoldered the key.  Then I opened it up and straightened the metal leaf part inside, and it tested good.  Reinstalled it and it's fixed.  At the same time I noticed some cold solder joints on the back and 4 more keys didn't work.  Had to do some more soldering and repairing a broken pad, all is good now!  100% working.

https://deskthority....I_pushbuttons-2

Great!! Four more keys stopped working as you did this?  It's a great keyboard. Good to hear you got it working.

Thank you for that link that is great. I'm wondering if replacement switches can be ordered from here.  I think very often the switch can be fixed by bending the leaf as you did.

Edited by Sugarland, Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:22 AM.

#110 tjlazer OFFLINE  

tjlazer

Stargunner

• 1,927 posts
  • Retro Atari Addict

Posted Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:34 AM

Yeah it must of worked loose as I was messing with the keyboard, and when I had put it back together after the one key repair, 4 more were not working.  Took it apart and noticed the cracked solder joints.  One pad lifted as I was trying to reheat it, and I had to do a repair.

#111 Sugarland OFFLINE  

Sugarland

Chopper Commander

• 125 posts

Posted Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:58 AM

If I had to choose between a failing mylar (type 4) or failing solder joints and bent switch leafs (types 1 & 2), I choose the latter. The new type 4 mylars are $33 from Best.

Edited by Sugarland, Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:00 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users