Ok...i looked! Nice work.....I agree..I hope we acn have all the other features of single in mutli. Nonetheless batari Basic is 2600 coding bliss.
Im having a blast trying to get it to do things.
I love when the code make things look wrong..reminds me of when I used to try to purposely glitch my 2600 to see the display I would get.
I know...im a sick man!!!
Thanks! Yes, the MSK with all of the standard kernel features would be pure coding bliss.
Here's another update. It's now a playable game!
- Title screen added, press fire to start game.
- scoring added, roughly ten points per second awarded for staying alive on the road.
- Traffic patterns are now random, oncoming traffic doesn't just move down the left side of the road.
- Collision detection is working - your car will take damage (and slowly change colors). When your car turns red,
you're car is almost destroyed. When it is destroyed, you're taken back to the title screen and your score is displayed.
Right now it takes quite a long time to destroy your car - I'll work on the game's difficulty progression next.
- Car can now be sped up and slowed down by pressing up or down on the joystick.
- red 'taillights' added to the player car.
I found my first glitch with the MSK using pfheight=0. I can't set NUSIZ0 to adjust the width of the player. Instead of doing what it's supposed to (double-width or quad-width), it creates two very close copies of the same sprite. Must be that dreaded sprite incompatiblity I heard about when using the highest resolution. I got around it by using two normal sized sprites next to each other for the oncoming traffic sprite. I had to change it because of how collision detection is implemented in the MSK -- I had to use player0 and player1 as the sprites for the player car and traffic car in order to detect a collision and that's not how I had it set up in the original demo.
I have a quick question for one of the many bB experts around here that might want to take a look at the code - Is there any way to reduce the sprite flicker in this game? I understand why it's happening, I just don't know if there's a way to work around it. Also, same flicker issue on the new title screen - any way to fix that?