Photo

Have you ever become obsessed with a video game title or series?

118 replies to this topic

Poll: Have you ever become obsessed with a video game title or series? (276 member(s) have cast votes)

Have you ever become obsessed with a video game title or series?

1. Yes, all the time and/or for long stretches. (133 votes [48.19%])

Percentage of vote: 48.19%

2. Yes, on occasion, but it doesn't last. (92 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Not really, maybe just a bit. (37 votes [13.41%])

Percentage of vote: 13.41%

4. No, not at all. (14 votes [5.07%])

Percentage of vote: 5.07%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 Christophero Sly OFFLINE  

Christophero Sly

River Patroller

• 4,820 posts

Posted Sat Jan 3, 2009 7:30 PM

The closest I've ever come to this kind of video game obsession was with the original Infocom games.

#52 fdurso224 OFFLINE  

fdurso224

River Patroller

• 2,078 posts
  • Hello, my name is Anthony!

Posted Wed Jan 7, 2009 6:46 PM

Pac-Man.I just cant get anuff of Pac-Man.I even have a Pac-Man Tattoo. :)

Hi Jboy,

WOOOOW!!....I need to see that.

Anthony....

#53 atarian63 OFFLINE  

atarian63

River Patroller

• 3,826 posts

Posted Wed Jan 7, 2009 9:13 PM

Pac-Man.I just cant get anuff of Pac-Man.I even have a Pac-Man Tattoo. :)

Hi Jboy,

WOOOOW!!....I need to see that.

Anthony....

I know a guy here in Columbus that does arcade repair for Shaffer services. He and his wife have Atari symbol tatoos, He has a large one one the bicep and she has one on the shoulder. Arcade games was how they met. :D

#54 1982VideoGames OFFLINE  

1982VideoGames

Chopper Commander

• 144 posts

Posted Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:57 PM

For a while now i've really been into Sega Genesis Sonics.
I've almost completed Sonic & Knuckles; probably conquer that soon.

#55 VideoFever1982 OFFLINE  

VideoFever1982

Stargunner

• 1,094 posts

Posted Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:06 PM

My biggest obsessions of all time have to be Pac-man, Sonic games, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy series, and Shenmue.

#56 Rhindle The Red OFFLINE  

Rhindle The Red

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,841 posts
  • His roar is long and loud.

Posted Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:28 PM

The funny thing for me about seeing this roughly year-and-a-half old thread is that even though my actual *obsession* with Lara Croft and Tomb Raider has ebbed (I haven't even gotten the new game, yet), I'm still getting things for this collection.

Since the photo was taken, I've gotten two more sealed action figures, a novel (which I actually alreay had at the time, it was just in a box, so I didn't know it), a "Cradle of Life" junior novelization, a second copy of the first movie on DVD (different cover), *both* films on UMD, the first movie on HD DVD, first movie soundtrack CD, a few more strategy guides, "Curse of the Sword" (GBC), "Prophecy" (GBA), some demos I scrounged up, the PS2 cheat disc for AOD, and a virtually complete set of the first TR trading card game. And more, I'm sure.

I also got two special trading cards: the first autographed by Chris Barrie, who played Lara's butler in the films, but is better known as Rimmer from Red Dwarf, and a "Cradle of Life" fabric card; one of those with a piece of Angelina Jolie's costume embedded in it.

You see, once an obsession takes me, it never really dies, just kind of goes into a slow burn...

#57 yeaadudee OFFLINE  

yeaadudee

Star Raider

• 69 posts

Posted Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:27 PM

Grand theft auto 3 ever since the day it came out. Most amazing game in the world IMO. Btw i collect the ps2 version if anyone has any copies they want to get rid of let me know :)

I know..strange.

Edited by yeaadudee, Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:28 PM.

#58 VideoFever1982 OFFLINE  

VideoFever1982

Stargunner

• 1,094 posts

Posted Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:41 AM

Grand theft auto 3 ever since the day it came out. Most amazing game in the world IMO. Btw i collect the ps2 version if anyone has any copies they want to get rid of let me know :)

I know..strange.

WOW :D It is a great game tho. I tend to lean more towards Vice City and San Andreas tho.

#59 rpgfaker OFFLINE  

rpgfaker

Moonsweeper

• 489 posts

Posted Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:36 PM

I got into the Metal Gear Franchise back when MGS2 came out...Had a thing for all things Survival Horror, still play Silent Hill on psx 1 regularly.

#60 VideoFever1982 OFFLINE  

VideoFever1982

Stargunner

• 1,094 posts

Posted Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:32 PM

I got into the Metal Gear Franchise back when MGS2 came out...Had a thing for all things Survival Horror, still play Silent Hill on psx 1 regularly.

I'm big on Silent Hill myself. As far as i'm concerned, they can keep em coming. I bought Metal Gear Solid for PS1 back when it came out and i loved it. Then again, anything by Hideo Kajima kicks azz. Remember Snatcher?

#61 rpgfaker OFFLINE  

rpgfaker

Moonsweeper

• 489 posts

Posted Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:10 PM

I'm big on Silent Hill myself. As far as i'm concerned, they can keep em coming. I bought Metal Gear Solid for PS1 back when it came out and i loved it. Then again, anything by Hideo Kajima kicks azz. Remember Snatcher?

I've heard of Snatcher but never owned a Sega CD or found a copy for PSX. How about Night Trap? I had it on 3DO always loved the part where the dude has the drill thing...

#62 VideoFever1982 OFFLINE  

VideoFever1982

Stargunner

• 1,094 posts

Posted Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:43 AM

I've heard of Snatcher but never owned a Sega CD or found a copy for PSX. How about Night Trap? I had it on 3DO always loved the part where the dude has the drill thing...

Snatcher is great and i love the Sega CD for the older stuff. I have Night Trap for it and i love that one too. My favorite movie-style game.

#63 tisaperfectdayelise OFFLINE  

tisaperfectdayelise

Moonsweeper

• 421 posts

Posted Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:25 AM

Phantasy Star.
Toe Jam and Earl (sure, there were only two, get off my back!).
Donkey Kong Country.
Pitfall.
Pre-Decline of Sega consoles Sonic.

Edited by tisaperfectdayelise, Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:25 AM.

#64 Rockin' Kat OFFLINE  

Rockin' Kat

River Patroller

• 2,212 posts
  • Rockin' Kats

Posted Sun Feb 8, 2009 2:27 AM

The Sonic the Hedgehog Series... I've got all the games, a bunch of little plush dolls, the complete archie comic book series, DVD's of the animated cartoons, and this thing that I saw for $7.99 at goodwill and could not resist.

Posted Image

#65 roland p ONLINE  

roland p

Stargunner

• 1,846 posts
  • $23

Posted Sun Feb 8, 2009 3:43 AM

I definitly would become obsessed with snatcher if new snatcher games would be produced. Shenmue too.

#66 zeropolis79 OFFLINE  

zeropolis79

Chopper Commander

• 175 posts
  • The Wind Waker

Posted Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:08 PM

Since my original posts, I have since expanded my obsesseions with the franchises listed.

I now have the Japanese imports of the Final Fantasy VII and VIII soundtracks. The first one cost me 5 over the local car boot sale while VIII was a gift from a friend of mine. I also have the Final Fantasy VIII - X2 singles collection CD.

For other franchises, I don't really have anything new except for special edition guide books for Twilight Princess and Phantom Hourglass.

PS: On teh Doctor Who message board at Outpost Gallifrey, my username is phantom_hourglass, but I don't know if it counts or not.

#67 AussieAtari OFFLINE  

AussieAtari

Stargunner

• 1,095 posts

Posted Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:25 PM

Resident Evil games, although only each game (not the same game on every console).
Sim City games on the PC.

She Who Must Be Obeyed is (very) slowly trying to collect every game that has Mario in it.

#68 Frizo OFFLINE  

Frizo

Moonsweeper

• 398 posts
  • K-on!

Posted Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:40 PM

okay, since you asked!

Pac-man
Sonic
Naruto
Mario (just a little)
Breakout (includes Super)
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2 (both are FASCINATING games!)
Pokemon

Yes, I have problems with all of them =P

#69 Jurai29 OFFLINE  

Jurai29

Space Invader

• 19 posts

Posted Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:58 PM

Asteroids for 2600 right after I got it christmas 82, asteroids as your probably know was a 2nd pack in. I spent hours rolling it over and over again. Berzerk was another. More recently Raiden for Jaguar, and lately Gran Turismo 3 which comes & goes.

#70 STICH666 OFFLINE  

STICH666

Stargunner

• 1,860 posts

Posted Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:53 AM

Forza, Project Gotham and Gran Turismo well pretty much any of the racing series. Twisted Metal is another one.

#71 kroogur OFFLINE  

kroogur

Stargunner

• 1,692 posts
  • Ever have one of those days?

Posted Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:59 AM

2600: Berzerk,Adventure,Yars Revenge

7800: Xevious, Food Fight

Lynx: A.B.P.

3DO: Gex

Dreamcast: Illbleed

PC: Everquest,Everquest 2, WoW

PS2: Everquest Online Adventures

XBox 360: Oblivion.......in fact it's been 12 seconds since I last played so please excuse me I must fire it up again!

#72 otaku OFFLINE  

otaku

Moonsweeper

• 497 posts

Posted Fri May 1, 2009 11:46 AM

sure but it doesn't last long not really anyway it might pop up now and then but I usually get over it usually a year tops

#73 FibroFreak78 OFFLINE  

FibroFreak78

Stargunner

• 1,228 posts

Posted Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:59 AM

a06b212293559dc2.jpg
Fable is my fave!

Edited by FibroFreak78, Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:02 AM.

#74 BDW OFFLINE  

BDW

River Patroller

• 2,756 posts

Posted Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:28 PM

I remember that in 5th grade I had a sick obsession with Mario. I collected all things mario, made videos about mario on a vhs camera, played Super Mario 64 all the time, and I even went as Mario for Halloween. Obnoxiously unhealthy. I was out of the influence by 6th grade, but it makes me shudder to think about that year. :(

#75 ericwierson OFFLINE  

ericwierson

Moonsweeper

• 398 posts

Posted Sun Aug 2, 2009 4:24 PM

Resident Evil games. I just HAVE to finish them.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users