IGNORED

Flashback Portable VS GamePort ?

• 3 weeks later...

This is going to sound really mean, but I really hope that the gameport portable isn't going to go into production. I completely blame gameport for the cancellation of the flashback portable and think that selling a device that relies on software produced by Atari is extremely un-ethical.

There, I've got it out of my system. I will now revert to pleasant mode :)

I blame the lack of FB2P on the total lack of balls on behalf of Infogrames, that and the fact that they are in the sh*t.

If Atari won't produce something that I want, then I will have to look elsewhere.

And if I can also play Coleco, Atari 8bit computers etc etc, I am more than happy.

Hard luck Atari, you should have beaten the Gameport release, and could so easily have done so.

Edited by mimo

We don't know that Atari have been motivated to do anything.

Curt mentioned that something was in the pipeline: "what was being developed for 08' as an advanced follow-up system has been moved up to the front burner and is being worked on now in place of the original FBP design"

I am still pro-Atari and definitely pro-Curt, but it was a seriously bad decision to not give anyone any insight into what is coming. One of the absolute best ways to generate revenue is to create buzz. No talk = no buzz = lower revenue for Atari. If there is a competitor that Atari is afraid will steal whatever secret they have is, then don't say anything meaningful, but least say something and acknowledge the fanbase. It doesn't even have to be good. Just give us an empty statement every two months like "the greatest thing since sliced bread" and at least we can sit here and try to pick apart the statement for some hidden meaning of "sliced bread".

Edited by Fort Apocalypse

I am still pro-Atari and definitely pro-Curt, but it was a seriously bad decision to not give anyone any insight into what is coming. One of the absolute best ways to generate revenue is to create buzz. No talk = no buzz = lower revenue for Atari. If there is a competitor that Atari is afraid will steal whatever secret they have is, then don't say anything meaningful, but least say something and acknowledge the fanbase. It doesn't even have to be good. Just give us an empty statement every two months like "the greatest thing since sliced bread" and at least we can sit here and try to pick apart the statement for some hidden meaning of "sliced bread".

Turns out I was wrong. The reason they stop posting anything in the forums was because of some bad apples: see 1368747 and 1347119

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is the latest message on the Gameport Website:

For all those who were giving up hope. Shame on you! For all those who believed, there is HOPE!

We are working on setting up a new site and development is picking up again. Expect some news shortly, along with a completly redesigned website. Here is to hoping you will like it!

• 2 months later...

Gameport's site is down again. Perhaps they are gonna do something and release some info for once. I cannot say I've been very nice to the Gameport people, but the Site Moderator over there has vanished and its become more or less a deserted videogame island over there in the forums. The natives have turned restless to put it in nice terms.

Heres to the Flashback Portable to make it out before the Gameport!!

Edited by TwinChargers

• 2 weeks later...
Gameport's site is down again. Perhaps they are gonna do something and release some info for once. I cannot say I've been very nice to the Gameport people, but the Site Moderator over there has vanished and its become more or less a deserted videogame island over there in the forums. The natives have turned restless to put it in nice terms.

Heres to the Flashback Portable to make it out before the Gameport!!

site is still down

vaporware

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure that Gameport is finished. There site is gone and they didn't have anyone there but forum members running the place anyways. Atari's competition has now significantly gotten weaker IMO.

Didn't seem like it could get done legally anyways. Be interesting though if there were some prototypes leaked.