IGNORED

HSC Season 4 Week 62: Surround

Ze_ro

Important Note: This week's competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

Welcome to the exciting and competitive world of Tron Light Cycles SURROUND. Your basic objective is to surround your opponent, causing him to run out of space in which to move, and at the same time not running into anything yourself. You can set up a blockade, force him into a corner or wander off by yourself and hope that he runs into something on his own.

Note: For this game, scores will be ranked by highest score first, and point differential second (so 10-4 is better than 10-6).

Game Information

• Game Name: Surround
  • Released By: Atari, 1977
  • Left Difficulty: A / Expert - Pro Computer
  • Right Difficulty: N/A in 1 player
  • Game Mode: Game 4 - Speed Up
  • Chosen By: Krytol

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Thursday, July 12th at 1:30 AM (CST).

If you want to suggest a game for future weeks, please send me a private message and let me know! I will add your game to the list. One one game per person will be kept on the list, so you will not be able to suggest a game until your first game is played! (Please note that due to time constraints, I very rarely reply to private messages... but I do read them all!)

Anyone can play! Just post a score and I'll add you to the list! Please read the Rules & Information if you haven't already done so!

Current High Scores

1. 10-0 (The MindMaster) [+11]
    10-0 (Deteacher) [+11]
    10-0 (godzillajoe) [+11]
    10-0 (Nathan Strum) [+11]
    10-0 (toymailman) [+11]
    10-0 (rheffera) [+11]
    10-0 (RaRoss) [+11]
    10-0 (Spiceware) [+11]
    10-0 (Goochman) [+11]
    10-0 (theKLT) [+11]
    10-0 (midnight magicman) [+11]
    10-0 (Captain Beard) [+11]

Best Tips

• Nathan Strum [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• None yet posted

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Standard, Difficulty B)
  • TwinGalaxies has no scores for this game.

Current Standings

(Note: These scores reflect the standing as of the beginning of this week, and do not include points scored from this game.)

1. Rom Hunter [548]
  2. Deteacher [426]
  3. SpiceWare [403]
  4. Nathan Strum [221]
  5. LarcenTyler [219]
  6. vdub_bobby [185]
  7. rheffera [182]
  8. keilbaca [175]
  9. johnnywc [156]
  10. Goochman [153]
  11. scogey [122]
  12. the 5th ghost [111]
  13. The MindMaster [104]
  14. Cybergoth [94]
  15. shadow460 [92]
  16. Captain Beard [86]
  17. atari2600land [85]
  18. JacobZu7zu7 [80]
  19. BrianC [78]
  20. Recycled [76]
  21. shawnb [71]
  22. Christophero Sly [70]
  23. Zoyx [66]
  24. Malc74 [63]
  25. toymailman [59]
  26. theKLT [48]
  27. SeaGtGruff [36]
  28. Crazy Climber [36]
  29. 128bytes [34]
  30. ewing92 [32]
  31. Jred [26]
  32. godzillajoe [26]
  33. RJ [24]
  34. doctorclu [22]
  35. phaxda [21]
  • Lord Helmet [19]
  • Thomas Jentzsch [17]
  • Krytol [17]
  • mojofltr [17]
  • Mindcircus [16]
  • Random Terrain [15]
  • Lord Thag [15]
  • LS_Dracon [13]
  • rjchamp3 [11]
  • ResOGlas [11]
  • Nognir [11]
  • Shannon [11]
  • accousticguitar [10]
  • jonfin826 [10]
  • Omegamatrix [9]
  • MickG [9]
  • Gabriel [8]
  • Hiryu [7]
  • RaRoss [7]
  • Zeptari1 [7]
  • Shroo-man [6]
  • gospeedde [6]
  • supercat [5]
  • GamerInThailand [5]
  • codyr783 [5]
  • fire!fire! [5]
  • JimboGames [4]
  • madbutscher [4]
  • oldric [3]
  • Biter [2]
  • mightymage [2]
  • aofl [2]
  • D. Yancey [2]
  • Dan Iacovelli [1]

Scoring Points in Surround

• You score one point when your opponent steers his leader block into your track, his track, or part of the playfield boundaries.

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual. If you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a scanned copy and a typed copy available online for your viewing pleasure! Unfortunately, the manual doesn't provide any specific hints, and isn't terribly useful.
Here's how to beat it, almost every time.

1. The computer will always go up to start. So wait for it to turn, then go up, too. (If it goes up immediately, then go up right away.)

2. Move up and left until you're one row above where it will always turn around. I've found that doing this in three steps works best. That tends to keep it contained.

3. Keep heading left. When one row from the left edge, go down.

4. Watch where it's going. It will turn left or right, depending on the pattern. Go one row below it, and head right. 8/10 times, this will completely cut it off at that point. Then just wait it out.

5. The other times, it'll head to the right, and be ahead of you. Just keep going right. It'll usually turn up, loop back and forth a couple of times, allowing you to just jog up a couple of rows and cut it off.

There are a couple of instances where it will escape to the right, but you can generally just head over further, and still cut it off. Sometimes, at position 4, if you go one row further down (leaving one row open between you), it'll double back into that row, and trap itself.

--Zero

So who thought picking a game where the max score is 10-0 was a good idea for a "high score" game? :sleep:

As the others have done, 10-0 on the first try.

I'll post the pic later.

But it'll take me longer than playing the game again.

shoot....why bother?

I was excited that they finally picked something I had again. Oh well.

Here's mine:

post-2641-1183684795_thumb.jpg

Here's how to beat it, almost every time.

1. The computer will always go up to start. So wait for it to turn, then go up, too. (If it goes up immediately, then go up right away.)
  2. Move up and left until you're one row above where it will always turn around. I've found that doing this in three steps works best. That tends to keep it contained.
  3. Keep heading left. When one row from the left edge, go down.
  4. Watch where it's going. It will turn left or right, depending on the pattern. Go one row below it, and head right. 8/10 times, this will completely cut it off at that point. Then just wait it out.
  5. The other times, it'll head to the right, and be ahead of you. Just keep going right. It'll usually turn up, loop back and forth a couple of times, allowing you to just jog up a couple of rows and cut it off.

post-2641-1183685342_thumb.jpg

There are a couple of instances where it will escape to the right, but you can generally just head over further, and still cut it off. Sometimes, at position 4, if you go one row further down (leaving one row open between you), it'll double back into that row, and trap itself.