IGNORED

Is It True?

In hopes of salvaging something other than scathing sarcasm from this thread, I'm going to make a leap of faith and accept Atari5200dude's question at face value.

Atari5200dude, you cannot play PS3 games on a PS2. I think perhaps you or your source got the order mixed up, because it is possible to play PS2 games on a PS3.

Moving on, I have a question. Why do people believe that previous generation systems will be able to play next generation games? I've seen this belief crop up every new hardware generation. When the Atari 5200 and Colecovision came out, people would ask if the Atari 2600 could play Colecovision and Atari 5200 games. When the SNES came out, people would ask if the NES could play SNES games. When the Playstation 2 came out, people would ask if the original Playstation would play the new PS2 games.

To put it bluntly, I can't see why anyone would ever believe this kind of thing. It shows a distinct lack of any kind of critical thinking whatsoever. Yet, every console generation someone posits the question.

In hopes of salvaging something other than scathing sarcasm from this thread, I'm going to make a leap of faith and accept Atari5200dude's question at face value.

Atari5200dude, you cannot play PS3 games on a PS2. I think perhaps you or your source got the order mixed up, because it is possible to play PS2 games on a PS3.

Moving on, I have a question. Why do people believe that previous generation systems will be able to play next generation games? I've seen this belief crop up every new hardware generation. When the Atari 5200 and Colecovision came out, people would ask if the Atari 2600 could play Colecovision and Atari 5200 games. When the SNES came out, people would ask if the NES could play SNES games. When the Playstation 2 came out, people would ask if the original Playstation would play the new PS2 games.

To put it bluntly, I can't see why anyone would ever believe this kind of thing. It shows a distinct lack of any kind of critical thinking whatsoever. Yet, every console generation someone posits the question.

Lies....

Except the last part.

Edited by moycon

To put it bluntly, I can't see why anyone would ever believe this kind of thing. It shows a distinct lack of any kind of critical thinking whatsoever.

..Or, it could also simply be a distinct lack of knowledge of consoles and what "generation" if any they belong to. :)

I mean, I have zero knowledge of many things in the world myself (my lack of knowledge about how to care for plants is something that's come up recently). Videogames though isn't one of them :D

Well that dudes username IS Atari5200Dude so it is possible that this person has not played a videogame since the 5200 (that would be disregarding the fact he has a PS2) but as far as I know even if your only experience was with videogames up until the Atari 5200...You still couldn't play 5200 games on the 2600 and not a whole lot has changed since 1982 in that aspect.

My thought is...if you know enough about video games to name yourself after a video game system from the 80's...and you own a PS2...Then you know that the frickin PS2 won't play PS3 games!!!! :cool:

you know.... after a bit of Jack and coke... perhaps I should give this a try. I mean hell.... if my PS2 has a chip in it... I can play anything.... right?

Perhaps not. Maybe I'll just grab my Atari Lynx and plug in the ol' PITS cart I bought and then try to read German. I think it would eventually lead to the same frustration level.

Speaking of frustration level..... I STILL never got my damn PS2 to run a SEGA or SNES disk. I thought I'd get that one day... but I gues not.

If 20% of Americans still believe that the sun goes around the earth, then I can believe that there are people who can't fathom the simple truth that 3 comes after 2.

• 2 weeks later...

Its not a stupid question, I remember when PS2 came out people asked if the PS1 played PS2 games. Some people that did not know anything said yes because it was all on CD's to others that did not know much about game systems.

Like Atari5200Dude's quote Lets all do the The Time Warp Again, just remember Your Hands On Your Hips or it will not work... I have that movie on VHS and Shock Treatment..

It's not entirely without merit or precedent. The Game Boy could play Game Boy Color games, after all (or at least display a nice graphic saying "Sorry!").

Also, PC games also evolve through different generations (coinciding roughly with CPU generations, and a little more roughly with OS [like Windows] or major OS component [like DirectX] releases), and it's not uncommon for the latest games to be playable on something that's one or even two generations old.

Perhaps these kinds of questions shouldn't be as wide-spread as they are, but it's not fair to skewer just anybody who asks them, either.

Edited by skunkworx

If 20% of Americans still believe that the sun goes around the earth, then I can believe that there are people who can't fathom the simple truth that 3 comes after 2.

But, but, the sun does go around the earth, Bruce! I tell you, it really does!

Recently, I read somewhere that most Americans cannot answer the question, "What month and day did 9-11 occur on?"

I tested this by asking a co-worker this morning.

They, in all seriousness, answered that it occurred on August 12th.

So, I guess you're right. I need to lower my standards, I suppose.