IGNORED

Controller port is hosed!

pigbat

I just recived a 2600 that I bought off of eBay and the first (of course) controller port appeared damaged. I slammed in a game and started playing but found I could only go left and up. Upon further investigation (inside the box) I found a pin missing and a couple others bent pretty badly. Is this an easy fix with very limited soldering skills? Would it be best to remove the whole thing and resolder each one? Man was I bummed.

I'm sorry to hear about this :(

It would probably be in your best interest to start with a new plug, as it would be a bit of an effort, to not just replace the pins in the old one, but also to line them up. Also, since they've come out once, they may do so again - and probably will get stuck inside the joystick's plug :ponder:

Good luck

Kale

Radio Shack sells a 9 pin Serial connector that you can use in place of this one. The original ones are sort of flaky, esp. if they get bent. I have replaced a few in my day.

I would use a solder wick or a solder suction tool to remove the old one, and you really cant mess up the new one, unless you really overheat the atari itself with your soldering iron. Just take it in with you and let someone show you what tools you would need. Worst case, mail it to me, and I will do the repair in exchange for a cart I do not have......

HTH,

Cassidy