IGNORED

HSC Season 4 Week 65: Beamrider

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted

A beam matrix of iridescent blue engulfs the distant blackness of Earth-Space. You stand watching. First mesmerized, you now realise the beams carry weapons. Frightening creations in endless configurations. Intriguing to watch, but will you -- yes you, dear reader -- take action? You will??!! Then roll up your sleeves, mount these beams and.....ride!!

Game Information

• Game Name: Beamrider
  • Released By: Activision, 1984
  • Left Difficulty: Your choice
  • Right Difficulty: N/A in 1-player
  • Game Mode: Game 1
  • Chosen By: rheffera

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Thursday, Aug 2nd at 1:30 AM (CST).

If you want to suggest a game for future weeks, please send me a private message and let me know! I will add your game to the list. One one game per person will be kept on the list, so you will not be able to suggest a game until your first game is played! (Please note that due to time constraints, I very rarely reply to private messages... but I do read them all!)

Anyone can play! Just post a score and I'll add you to the list! Please read the Rules & Information if you haven't already done so!

Current High Scores

1. 56,242 (Nognir) [+11]
  2. 50,470 (Nathan Strum) [+10]
  3. 42,072 (Rom Hunter) [+9]
  4. 30,538 (toymailman) [+8]
  5. 18,246 (Impaler_26) [+7]
  6. 13,880 (Deteacher) [+6]
  7. 12,678 (SpiceWare) [+5]
  8. 7924 (LarcenTyler) [+4]
  9. 1764 (doctorclu) [+3]

Best Tips

• Nathan Strum [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• None yet posted

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Game 1, Difficulty A)
  • 80,170 (Rodrigo Lopes) (Emulator)
  • 40,850 (Christian L Keilback)

Current Standings

(Note: These scores reflect the standing as of the beginning of this week, and do not include points scored from this game.)

1. Rom Hunter [548]
  2. Deteacher [450]
  3. SpiceWare [436]
  4. Nathan Strum [244]
  5. LarcenTyler [223]
  6. rheffera [198]
  7. vdub_bobby [185]
  8. keilbaca [175]
  9. johnnywc [167]
  10. Goochman [164]
  11. scogey [122]
  12. The MindMaster [115]
  13. the 5th ghost [111]
  14. Captain Beard [105]
  15. Cybergoth [94]
  16. shadow460 [92]
  17. toymailman [91]
  18. atari2600land [85]
  19. Recycled [80]
  20. JacobZu7zu7 [80]
  21. BrianC [78]
  22. shawnb [71]
  23. Christophero Sly [70]
  24. Malc74 [67]
  25. Zoyx [66]
  26. theKLT [59]
  27. godzillajoe [49]
  28. SeaGtGruff [36]
  29. Crazy Climber [36]
  30. 128bytes [34]
  31. ewing92 [32]
  32. RaRoss [27]
  33. Jred [26]
  34. RJ [24]
  35. doctorclu [22]
  36. phaxda [21]
  • Lord Helmet [19]
  • Nognir [18]
  • Thomas Jentzsch [17]
  • Krytol [17]
  • mojofltr [17]
  • Mindcircus [16]
  • Random Terrain [15]
  • Lord Thag [15]
  • LS_Dracon [13]
  • Impaler_26 [12]
  • rjchamp3 [11]
  • ResOGlas [11]
  • Shannon [11]
  • midnight magicman [11]
  • accousticguitar [10]
  • jonfin826 [10]
  • Omegamatrix [9]
  • MickG [9]
  • Gabriel [8]
  • keitaro [8]
  • gospeedde [7]
  • Hiryu [7]
  • Zeptari1 [7]
  • Shroo-man [6]
  • JimboGames [5]
  • supercat [5]
  • GamerInThailand [5]
  • codyr783 [5]
  • fire!fire! [5]
  • madbutscher [4]
  • oldric [3]
  • Biter [2]
  • mightymage [2]
  • aofl [2]
  • D. Yancey [2]
  • Dan Iacovelli [1]

Scoring Points in Beamrider

• Points are scored each time an enemy saucer, chirper ship or Sector Sentinel is destroyed. Point values increase as you progress to higher sectors.
  • Also, if you manage to destroy the Sector Sentinel, you'll receive an additional bonus for each ship in your fleet.

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy available. Here are the tips it provides:

- Maintain precise control by learning to TAP the Control Stick to move your ship a single beam at a time. And stay near the centre beams so you won't get boxed into a corner with nowhere to run.

- Zap the white enemy saucers as early in their approach as possible. And check this out: You can hit them when they're slightly off the beam, before they can drop their missiles.

- When you see a yellow rejuvenator, don't abandon all caution as you move to catch it or you'll likely wreck your ship. If an enemy object is blocking the rejuvenator, you can use a torpedo to blast it out of the way. Then, catch the rejuvenator. But remember, you only have three torpedoes and they're your only weapon against the Sector Sentinel.

- And while we're on the subject, when the Sentinel is about to approach, don't sit on the beam you plan to shoot from. Green Blockers will swarm on to it immediately! Instead, wait on a beam you're not going to shoot from (like the one nearest the Sentinel's first sighting). As soon as the Blockers are `locked' onto that beam, zip over to an unblocked beam and torpedo the ship.

- Last, but not least, take time to notice the enemy attack movements. They generally follow a pattern of motion that allows you to anticipate many of their moves.

Tips:

* Practice on difficulty B. Then, when you get used to the faster speeds, start a new game on difficulty A. You can also build up a lot of extra ships on B, allowing you to practice longer.

* When shooting at the Sentinel ship at the end of a level, lure the Green Blockers away from the lane you want to shoot down. Then when you have a clear lane, zip over and shoot your torpedo.

* The Blue Chargers will move off the bottom edge of the screen after a few seconds, so if you miss shooting one, just wait for it to leave.

* If the white saucers fire three shots in a row starting from the middle lane, move in the opposite direction to a clear lane. There's not enough room to zip between their shots (at least I can't do it ;) ).

* Get used to moving from lane to lane, not just rapidly moving across the screen. Precision is more important than speed.

* Keep firing, all the time. But be sure to...

* ...keep an eye out for your spare ships. Don't shoot them! Even if they're sandwiched in-between other enemies, you can usually get to them. Be sure if you see one of them coming, to lure the Green Blockers away from its lane.

--Zero

Great game! A bit brutal, starting at difficulty A.

post-2641-1185523650_thumb.jpg

Tips:

• Practice on difficulty B. Then, when you get used to the faster speeds, start a new game on difficulty A. You can also build up a lot of extra ships on B, allowing you to practice longer.
  • When shooting at the Sentinel ship at the end of a level, lure the Green Blockers away from the lane you want to shoot down. Then when you have a clear lane, zip over and shoot your torpedo.
  • The Blue Chargers will move off the bottom edge of the screen after a few seconds, so if you miss shooting one, just wait for it to leave.
  • If the white saucers fire three shots in a row starting from the middle lane, move in the opposite direction to a clear lane. There's not enough room to zip between their shots (at least I can't do it ;)).
  • Get used to moving from lane to lane, not just rapidly moving across the screen. Precision is more important than speed.
  • Keep firing, all the time. But be sure to...
  • ...keep an eye out for your spare ships. Don't shoot them! Even if they're sandwiched in-between other enemies, you can usually get to them. Be sure if you see one of them coming, to lure the Green Blockers away from its lane.

This week has been tough with CGE and other stuff going on in the evenings. I was able to get a good score (for me) though.

post-10944-1186030901_thumb.jpg

Wish I could have hit a few more mother ships!!

This game was lots of fun though. Hadn't actually tried it until now and it seems similar to the arcade Tempest. I got addicted to it tonight and wih I had a bit more time. Great pick!

The info for this game is a little confusing. It's being played on Expert A but says to start at level 1. You can only start at level 1 in beginner B. You should be starting on level 8 in expert.

The last couple scores posted above both look like they started at level 1 diff B.

That's correct.

Although confused, I started my game at level 1, because I thought that was the right way to play it according to this week's rules.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

The info for this game is a little confusing. It's being played on Expert A but says to start at level 1. You can only start at level 1 in beginner B. You should be starting on level 8 in expert.

The last couple scores posted above both look like they started at level 1 diff B.

That's correct.

Although confused, I started my game at level 1, because I thought that was the right way to play it according to this week's rules.

8)

Ah! I was wondering how'd you achieve such an amount of points. I started in Difficulty A Level 8. Hope it was the right decision.

Maybe I can celebrate my first win in the highscore club :cool:

Like you need any more points. ;)
LOL

No, I don't.

But I don't want to leave with the feeling that I've been playing my ass off for nothing.

Speaking of points: how long is this season going to last?

There's no use in gaining points if there's no finish, is there?

Good idea btw, Spiceware.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

And as for restarting the season, Ze_ro wrote this.
So we have to keep on playing until Ze_ro's hard drive crashes?

LOL

That's the most pointless rule I've ever read.

It makes this whole 'competition' a farce.

"Let's play ice hockey until the ice melts!"

Never mind, I like to play these games anyway.

8)