IGNORED

GP2X

nathanallan

Pandora looks terrible.

If you look at the specs what you get is basically a laptop with a nonstandard CPU and limited software availability. Seems like an EEE would be a better value. That seems to be where all this is headed. I'm pretty certain in a year or two the field will be crowded with EEE-style budget palmtops.

Think I will just wait for the Pandora to get released

Pandora looks terrible. Why on earth have they gone for a design that looks like a cheap toy? You cannot put the controls in the middle of the keyboard. The design should be playable like the PSP (controls on both sides of the screen) and have a folded keyboard that opens like a Nokia E90.

--

Karri

Because they dont have $10 million to design the product?

But the Eeeeeeee has no on board game controllers. Keyboard for MAME? no thanks

But it does have USB host, so you could hook one up to it. When you look at the overall value of the purchase, an Eee type machine beats a GP2X type machine hands down.

This is true but laptops have USB host too. The thing about the gp2x (and hopefully) the Pandora is that it is a handheld gaming device. The Eee machine seems cool but without a dpad and some buttons it's just a mini-laptop (to me at least).

~telengard

The review of the touch-screen's still pending - I've been busy with training courses and having problems with a crap SD card (card's fault, not the GP2X). What use it's had has shown it to work well enough, but the version of ScummVM I have seems to have problems - there's a weird off-set I can't get rid of.

The thing [...] is that it is a handheld gaming device.

... which is the main reason I got it. It's small and fits in random spare spaces in bags, say, when going on long train journeys for training courses. Said long train journeys were much improved being able to pull out the GP2X to watch Star Wars films and play GhostPix. It handled 700MB DVD rips without problems. I couldn't get the built-in player to adjust the screen ratio (can it...?), but mp2x does easily enough.

"Is that a laptop in your pocket, or are you just pleased to see me?"

The thing about the gp2x (and hopefully) the Pandora is that it is a handheld gaming device. The Eee machine seems cool but without a dpad and some buttons it's just a mini-laptop (to me at least).

Remember that the GP2X not having a keyboard is in its own way a limitation. Try emulating home computers with it. Using onscreen virtual keyboards suck.

It would be nice if all laptops had a D-pad embedded into them like a Pandora. Or cell phones for that matter (the directionals on cell phones suck).

• 11 months later...