IGNORED

PCAEWin 2.7

JohnPCAE

Occasionally I still receive emails asking for PCAEWin 2.7, which has some small fixes that should allow it to run under Windows XP. I don't have permanent hosting, but in the interests of making it available to anyone who might like it I've uploaded it to one of the free hosting sites:

http://www.savefile.com/files/972316

I know I haven't worked on this in a very long time, but in the years since PCAE I've still been writing code for other projects and I've become a much better, more seasoned developer. I'm considering redesigning the network-play code (throwing out Kaillera in the process) if I can spare some time. No guarantees, but I believe that it may be within my abilities to finally do it right. Anyhow, in the interim, here is the latest of what I currently have...

Enjoy,

John Dullea

PCAE Developer

Hi John,

Thanks for sharing your latest version of PCAE! It would be great if you found time to continue this project!

Cheers,

Tony

Many Thanks John!

Once again , Thanks John. Unfortunately, it crashes on me immediately after double-clicking on PCAEWIN.EXE

AppName: pcaewin.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: pcaewin.exe

ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 00025d5b

JL

Hi John,

Thanks for sharing your latest version of PCAE! It would be great if you found time to continue this project!

Cheers,

Tony

Many Thanks John!

Once again , Thanks John. Unfortunately, it crashes on me immediately after double-clicking on PCAEWIN.EXE

JL

What OS are you running/what is your system configuration? I'll take a look at it to see if I can learn anything.

I've started the process of redesigning how instances of PCAEWin will talk to each other, starting with the sockets layer. I think I have something that's pretty robust and generic, though I'll of course have to test it. Still, step one of the redesign is pretty much done. I'll be working my way up the protocol stack one step at a time...

Hi John,

Cheers,

Tony

Many Thanks John!

JL

What OS are you running/what is your system configuration? I'll take a look at it to see if I can learn anything.

I've started the process of redesigning how instances of PCAEWin will talk to each other, starting with the sockets layer. I think I have something that's pretty robust and generic, though I'll of course have to test it. Still, step one of the redesign is pretty much done. I'll be working my way up the protocol stack one step at a time...

I get a similar-but-different error:

AppName: pcaewin.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0

ModName: kernel32.dll ModVer: 5.1.2600.3119 Offset: 00012a5b

I edited the PCAEWIN.INI file before starting PCAEWIN.EXE, and set the various directory paths to the ones I'm using. Does it have to be in C:\emu\2600? Because I'm using C:\Atari\2600 as the main one (and using various subdirectories off of it, keeping their names the same as what was already in the PCAEWIN.INI file). PCAEWIN itself is in C:\Atari\2600\Emus\PCAE\2.7b (since I already had an older directory named 2.7).

What about DirectX, do I really need to use DirectX 5, or can I use 9.0c?

Should I copy the various .dll files anywhere, or just leave them in PCAE's directory?

I'm on Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2.

Michael

Hi John,

Cheers,

Tony

Many Thanks John!

JL

I edited the PCAEWIN.INI file before starting PCAEWIN.EXE, and set the various directory paths to the ones I'm using. Does it have to be in C:\emu\2600? Because I'm using C:\Atari\2600 as the main one (and using various subdirectories off of it, keeping their names the same as what was already in the PCAEWIN.INI file). PCAEWIN itself is in C:\Atari\2600\Emus\PCAE\2.7b (since I already had an older directory named 2.7).

Should I copy the various .dll files anywhere, or just leave them in PCAE's directory?

Michael

IIRC, PCAEWin 2.7 will crash on Windows machines using Hyperthreading. I set the bios of a hyperthreaded Intel chip which was crashing PCAEWin to non-hyperthreaded (sorry if I'm using all the wrong terms) and PCAEWin worked properly. I cannot find the original post where this was discussed, but taking a shot in the dark, does this have anything to do with the way the PCAE 2.7 binary was compiled?

Cheers,

Tony

Hi John,

Cheers,

Tony

Many Thanks John!

JL

Michael

IIRC, PCAEWin 2.7 will crash on Windows machines using Hyperthreading. I set the bios of a hyperthreaded Intel chip which was crashing PCAEWin to non-hyperthreaded (sorry if I'm using all the wrong terms) and PCAEWin worked properly. I cannot find the original post where this was discussed, but taking a shot in the dark, does this have anything to do with the way the PCAE 2.7 binary was compiled?

Cheers,

Tony

I tried it out and I found that I was crashing as well, and I'm running Win2k. I tracked it down to my MMX-detection logic, and I've got it working right now. I'll keep chugging on it tomorrow and see how long it takes to do away with Kaillera before I release anything, as I suspect that it won't take long.

Hi John,

Cheers,

Tony

Many Thanks John!

JL

Michael

Cheers,

Tony

I tried it out and I found that I was crashing as well, and I'm running Win2k. I tracked it down to my MMX-detection logic, and I've got it working right now. I'll keep chugging on it tomorrow and see how long it takes to do away with Kaillera before I release anything, as I suspect that it won't take long.

Mine is a hyper-threaded as well. Pentium IV 3.4Ghz HT Extreme Edition. Running XPsp2

The latest 2.7 still doesn't work on my Windows box (Win2k on a Pentium 4-based Celeron). It hangs once you try to start emulation, and you need to kill it with Task Manager. Though this is a little different than the older 2.7 posted here a while back - that one crashes instantly, or says "Range Check error" before exiting.

But then again, 2.6 doesn't work for me either - It does exactly the same thing as the new 2.7. I don't know if older versions work, as they are somewhat hard to find these days.

• 4 months later...

*bump*

Does anyone else have trouble configuring their joysticks? My settings keep reverting even though I am pressing "okay" at the bottom of the screen afterwards. The fire buttons always stay mapped. It's just the x axis & y axis that is giving me trouble. I using a Stelladaptor with a CX40, and a Logitech dual action controller (ps2 clone). So if I have one joystick it reverts both axis 1 & 2 to Joystick up and down everytime I open it up. If I have two joysticks plugged in the first one selcted has both axis 1 & 2 set to Joystick up and down, and the second joystick has them reversed so left and right is now up and down. I seriously thought I was losing my mind for a while. :ponder:

Anyhow anyone else have this problem, or better yet a fix? It's a pain in the ass to have to configure this everytime I open it.

~Omega

• 8 months later...
sorry to bring this up, but is that fixed file of his for 2.7 still up there anywhere? The 2nd savefiles link doesn't work anymore, and i can't get 2.6 or 2.7 to work on my XP machine ^^

thanks

gavv

I've got ZIPs for 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.7b, and 2.7c. I can email 2.7c and/or 2.5 to you if you want. My PM folder is full right now, but you can email a request to me at SeaGtGruff@aol.com and tell me which version you want.

Michael

• 4 weeks later...
I'm considering redesigning the network-play code (throwing out Kaillera in the process) if I can spare some time. No guarantees, but I believe that it may be within my abilities to finally do it right.

Did Kaillera ever worked with pcaewin? I don't remember ever playing Atari online, but it'd be awesome if someone could get it going nicely ;)

I'm considering redesigning the network-play code (throwing out Kaillera in the process) if I can spare some time. No guarantees, but I believe that it may be within my abilities to finally do it right.

Did Kaillera ever worked with pcaewin? I don't remember ever playing Atari online, but it'd be awesome if someone could get it going nicely ;)

it had some bugs in it when I tried to play a network game with some one else