IGNORED

HELP! Information on Red Sea Crossing?

nagn2

It appears that he was based in San Diego, so using Telesys shells (like the L.A.-based Wizard Video did) is definitely a possibility.

Telesys was based in Silicon Valley (Fremont, I believe; I don't have any manuals handy) just like 90% of the companies making games for the 2600. I don't see what that has to do with anything.

The line between homebrew and very rare production game is a fine one. Look at some of the VIC-20 and Astrocade games considered released games. They are really home-based programming efforts sold in ziploc bags with copied labels. This cart seems to be made to sell with a specific market in mind and thus in my opinion is a released game. I think of homebrews as more modern efforts or vintage efforts designed just for a personal audience (not to sell). If it was finished and sold it is also not a prototype.

Nagn2,

Is it possible to show us a little movie of the game during play?

Also, did you find any 2 player options?

8)

Where can I post a small movie. I tried to take a small one and upload it on here but it said the file was to big. I will check for any 2 palyer options.

Nagn2,

8)

Where can I post a small movie. I tried to take a small one and upload it on here but it said the file was to big. I will check for any 2 palyer options.

Thanks.

YouTube would be fine.

8)

Nagn2,

8)

I'd be glad to give you some space here so you can upload a movie..

..Al

Nagn2,

8)

I'd be glad to give you some space here so you can upload a movie..

..Al

Ok, just tell me how to do it and I will put a small movie here.

I'm not trying to call anyone a liar here or attack anyone but I have a question.

How would anyone be able to tell that a cartridge was from 1983 & not currently made with old cart materials? Let's assume that this game was, indeed, programmed in 1983:

How hard would it be for the programmer to get the correct homebrewing supplies & equipment which are now readily available with the current homebrew boom & make a cart for this game & pass it off as an "undiscovered" cart, come on here & pretend to be someone who found it @ a garage sale. Then say there may have been 100 or so carts made, then proceed to make, like, 3 grand on each of these?

Again, I'm not saying this is the case & I'm not a programmer myself, in fact I'm pretty much computer retarded. But would the original code tell you definitively when the game was programmed?

Hope I didn't offend anyone & I for one HOPE this is the real deal! :-)

Peace

I'm not trying to call anyone a liar here or attack anyone but I have a question.

How would anyone be able to tell that a cartridge was from 1983 & not currently made with old cart materials? Let's assume that this game was, indeed, programmed in 1983:

How hard would it be for the programmer to get the correct homebrewing supplies & equipment which are now readily available with the current homebrew boom & make a cart for this game & pass it off as an "undiscovered" cart, come on here & pretend to be someone who found it @ a garage sale. Then say there may have been 100 or so carts made, then proceed to make, like, 3 grand on each of these?

Again, I'm not saying this is the case & I'm not a programmer myself, in fact I'm pretty much computer retarded. But would the original code tell you definitively when the game was programmed?

Hope I didn't offend anyone & I for one HOPE this is the real deal! :-)

Peace

Carbon dating, and yes I am serious.

From what I read the game should be a prom as well. Eproms are the ones you can erase and reprogram. Proms are permanent. This game looks very legit in my books.

Carbon dating, and yes I am serious.

From what I read the game should be a prom as well. Eproms are the ones you can erase and reprogram. Proms are permanent. This game looks very legit in my books.

Could be a PROM, but the author indicated that the game has a ROM. If I bought the cart, I'd crack it open (carefully heat-gun off the label, which won't damage it!) If there's a mask ROM inside, it's 99.9% certain to be authentic. Due to the high cost of producing mask ROMs, I doubt anyone's going to do that to make a forgery seem real.

> - What equipment did you use for programming the game?

>

> Franklyn Ace computer, EPROM burner, ROM reader.

I am going to assume if there are big companies that used Eproms, a small run like this would also be eproms. Simple enough that a Coleco ADAM system could do it back in the day.

As for 3K a piece, thats just not realistic for 100 carts. I see your point about making bank, but I think once the game is disassembled, looked at in depth and some of the guru's poke through the code that will be very apparent if its new or old school designed. Maybe the first one is worth big money but from there it goes down quickly. Imagine if a hundred Video Lifes just popped up. They'd all be worth less very quickly (worth a great deal less). Seen that happen time and time again in this community (Crazy Climber, Quadrun, Waterworld, CTCW, Ikari, the list goes on).

C

It seems that every thread like this there are multiple "conspiracy" theories about how someone may have bought supplies and produced a fake to make money and fool the classic gaming community. Has this ever really happened? I have been on this board since 2001 and I don't remember any examples. I know there have been some good April Fool jokes, examples of resealing NES games on Ebay, fake mock-ups like AirWorld, and (if I remember correctly) a legend of a fake rare game planted at a thrift near the classic gaming convention in Vegas (by one collector to play a hoax on others). Also, some speculated about how Beagle carts were all modern fakes designed to make money. I don't see why anyone would try to make money off of fake rare games (too much time for too little money), but has it happened?

It seems that every thread like this there are multiple "conspiracy" theories about how someone may have bought supplies and produced a fake to make money and fool the classic gaming community. Has this ever really happened?

No, not that I am aware of.

Though if someone has lost a lot of money, he might not want to tell in public.

I have been on this board since 2001 and I don't remember any examples. I know there have been some good April Fool jokes, examples of resealing NES games on Ebay, fake mock-ups like AirWorld, and (if I remember correctly) a legend of a fake rare game planted at a thrift near the classic gaming convention in Vegas (by one collector to play a hoax on others).

And then where this. :)

At the end of that very thread, you can read about some collectors being afraid of getting seriously fooled. So this problem isn't new.

But as soon as some experts can scrutinize the cart and the code, it is almost impossible to fool that many people. For now I am ~90% convinced.

But as soon as some experts can scrutinize the cart and the code, it is almost impossible to fool that many people. For now I am ~90% convinced.
Me too.

Thomas,

Is it possible to see if it's really from 1983 just by looking at the coding?

I'm afraid that if Nagn2 decides to sell this cart, he has to show the inner parts as well, before someone coughs up some serious green.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

I think I saw a YouTube clip of Elvis and Big Foot playing this game while sitting on top of an Atari landfill. There are no surprises. There are no discoveries or rediscoveries. Nothing ever changes. Everything that can be known is known. Now go back into your trance and don't make waves. :D

I can't wait until the waiting is over and we know for sure. Did we ever find out if the E.T. cartridge from France was real?

Ok, I have a question. If there are people who are skeptical, then why don't you call the guy. The phone number is in this thread. A programer hear could probably figure out if this guy is fake or not just by asking him a couple of questions. So if you really are concerned, call the guy.
Please, let Nagn2 or Albert do the talking, before Steve shuts the door.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Question for all of the serious collectors out there: say I get lucky somedday and find a suspected one-of-a-kind cart. What would be an acceptable method of openning it to be able to show people the inside? Someone suggested using a heat gun to remove the label but I think that would still be risking a tear. Wouldn't it be better to cut a small slit around the screw- just enough to get the screw out but small enough to simply press the label back in place? How much would that cut affect value?

Oh, and I agree, if this programmer suddenly starts getting hammered with telephone calls and emails from gobs of people, he's likely to clam up. He does have a day job afterall.

Edited by yorgle

Two things need to happen for this cart to get top $......

1) Cart needs to be opened (as suggesteby by Batari)

2) The code needs to be analyzed.

Now, the other side of the coin.....

100 of these might exist. I agree with Cassidy, the first one might be expensive but if more of these were to come out (coincendtally after the sale of this one), the value would go down (ala Ikari, Motorodeo, etc).

But even to call Steve to confirm this cart, it might just be a friend of the person selling it......you never know. Sure it has been confirmed that Steve was a computer programmer but is that Steve the real Steve. Just my 2 cents.

I simply need more proof. If this cart is real, wow, what a great find for the community. :)