IGNORED

Vectrex pre-production prototypes (I think)

joesmooth

I picked up a lot of Vectrex carts from an eBay auction a few weeks ago mostly because I wanted to fill out my Vectrex collection and the few carts with type-written labels looked interesting:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=160146823389

I e-mailed the seller to ask if he made those himself and he said he got them that way. The auction was also in Northern California and I thought the Vectrex was developed around here (I could be wrong).

As soon as I got them, I quickly opened them all up and noticed some physical differences, though most of the carts were ROMs except for two (Space Wars and Star Hawk) that were 2532 EPROMs with hand-written labels over the window (dated 6-4-82). I dumped both the ROM and EPROM carts and they all match with the production versions (except for the EPROM versions that had 0x00 as the last byte instead of 0xFF or vice versa compared to production - all other bytes are exactly the same).

Based on my experience with product development/manufacturing, I'm guessing they're pre-production versions for a few reasons:

1) The cartridge cases are slightly different than the production cases. There is no injection molding release mark on the back as in the production versions, the bezel around the label is slightly different, and the plastic that holds the cartridge in place on the inside has been manually modified. That tells me that these cases are prototypes, as well.

2) Most of the cartridge PCBs themselves seem to be an earlier version (smooth edges versus panelized PCBs in the production carts).

3) None of the prototype cartridge PCBs have a QA sticker on them.

4) The ROMs and EPROMs are hand-soldered.

It's too bad that the dumps are the same, but still a neat find, I think. I've posted a few pics.

By the way, I have a few doubles for trade (Armor Attack, Berzerk, Ripoff, Star Trek), so PM me if you're interested. :)

Joe

post-1464-1191117710_thumb.jpg

post-1464-1191117907_thumb.jpg

post-1464-1191119220_thumb.jpg

post-1464-1191119247_thumb.jpg

post-1464-1191119293_thumb.jpg

post-1464-1191119335_thumb.jpg

post-1464-1191119371_thumb.jpg

post-1464-1191119399_thumb.jpg

post-1464-1191119439_thumb.jpg

post-1464-1191119505_thumb.jpg

post-1464-1191119535_thumb.jpg

What's the significance of the BP-1200 programmer in the last photo? I wouldn't think that unit would go back to the 1980's.

The BP-1200 is my device programmer and you can see the Vectrex PCB hanging off of the clip/adapter I made for it. That's how I dumped all the cartridges :)

Joe

The BP-1200 is my device programmer and you can see the Vectrex PCB hanging off of the clip/adapter I made for it. That's how I dumped all the cartridges :)

Okay, that clarifies things. :dunce: I was pretty certain the people doing Vectrex development in the 1980's wouldn't have been using a BP-1200.

BTW, are the "ROM" chips actually ROMs and not OTPs? I've not read enough of your other posts to know if you'd know the difference.

Okay, that clarifies things. :dunce: I was pretty certain the people doing Vectrex development in the 1980's wouldn't have been using a BP-1200.

BTW, are the "ROM" chips actually ROMs and not OTPs? I've not read enough of your other posts to know if you'd know the difference.

They are real masked ROMs. They actually match the ones in the production counterparts (except for the two with EPROM, obviously).

Joe

• 1 year later...

Bumping up an old thread because my brother just found a really sweet Vectrex prototype:

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messagevi...;threadid=21809

Oldest Vectrex proto I've ever heard of, really cool label and case to boot. Any idea on the worth of something like this? I don't know of any Vectrex protos of released games going for sale on the open market.

Pics for the lazy:

100_0789.jpg

Bumping up an old thread because my brother just found a really sweet Vectrex prototype:

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messagevi...;threadid=21809

Oldest Vectrex proto I've ever heard of, really cool label and case to boot. Any idea on the worth of something like this? I don't know of any Vectrex protos of released games going for sale on the open market.

Pics for the lazy:

100_0789.jpg

at least $500+ very very nice find. (probably sell for at lot more).

• 4 months later...

Wow. I can't believe it's been over 2 years since I came across these. I've decided to sell off most of my Vectrex collection, including all of the pre-production prototypes that I have:

• Rip-Off
  • Star Hawk
  • Solar Quest
  • Star Trek
  • Berzerk
  • Space Wars
  • Armor Attack

If you're interested, drop me a PM or respond here with any questions!

Joe

• 4 weeks later...

Wow. I can't believe it's been over 2 years since I came across these. I've decided to sell off most of my Vectrex collection, including all of the pre-production prototypes that I have:

• Rip-Off
  • Star Hawk
  • Solar Quest
  • Star Trek
  • Berzerk
  • Space Wars
  • Armor Attack

If you're interested, drop me a PM or respond here with any questions!

Joe

Have all of these been sold or traded yet?

Anyone find out if that version of cosmic chasm was any different from the final version? I love cosmic chasm, such an awesome, original, game.

I have since traded the proto, but when played back to back with the retail version I could find no noticeable differences.

Bummer, would have loved to have seen an earlier version to see how/if the gameplay changed/evolved from early versions.