IGNORED

HSC Season 5 Week 7: Mr. Do!

Ze_ro

Important Note - This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

Guide Mr. Do as he tries to harvest his orchard before the evil Badguys can catch him. Quick! Mow a path to the cherries and start picking! But watch out - here comes a Badguy! Throw your Power Ball to squelch him. But another one is on the way, so run until your Power Ball comes back. You're not completely defenseless, though. You can push apples on top of the Badguys to quash their pursuit. Sometimes when you're not looking, a Badguy changes into an Alphamonster. Don't let it near Mr. Do! Eliminate all five Alphamonsters to spell E-X-T-R-A and win an extra Mr. Do!

s_MrDo_3.png

Game Information

• Game Name: Mr. Do!
  • Released By: Coleco, 1983
  • Left Difficulty: N/A
  • Right Difficulty: N/A
  • Game Mode: Game 3 - Arcade Difficulty
  • Chosen By: godzillajoe & rheffera

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday, Oct 31st at 1:00 AM (CST).

If you want to suggest a game for future weeks, please send me a private message and let me know! I will add your game to the list. One one game per person will be kept on the list, so you will not be able to suggest a game until your first game is played! (Please note that due to time constraints, I very rarely reply to private messages... but I do read them all!)

Anyone can play! Just post a score and I'll add you to the list! Please read the Rules & Information if you haven't already done so!

Current High Scores

1. 54,250 (rheffera) [+11]
  2. 49,250 (theking21083) [+10]
  3. 45,150 (Recycled) [+9]
  4. 40,200 (Kurt_Woloch) [+8]
  5. 40,150 (Deteacher) [+7]
  6. 37,350 (toymailman) [+6]
  7. 36,350 (Impaler_26) [+5]
  8. 31,250 (keilbaca) [+4]
  9. 27,500 (SpiceWare) [+3]
  10. 19,950 (PressureCooker2600) [+2]
  11. 18,000 (homerwannabee) [+1]
  12. 14,350 (Butterwasp) [+1]
  13. 10,150 (Blackjack) [+1]

Best Tips

• Kurt Woloch [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• None yet

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Game 1, Difficulty B)
  • 101,350 (Todd Rogers)
  • 95,750 (Tom Duncan)
  • 63,650 (Robert Macauley) (Emulator)

Current Standings

(Note: These scores reflect the standing as of the beginning of this week, and do not include points scored from this game.)

1. Coming Soon!

Scoring Points in Mr. Do!

• Each cherry picked - 50 points
  • Group of 6 cherries in succession - 50 points each cherry, plus 500 bonus points
  • Each Enemy hit by Power Ball - 500 points
  • Each enemy crushed by an apple - 1000 points
  • Hit an Alphamonster with the Power Ball or bonk it with an apple - 500 points

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy available, though it doesn't have any specific hints.
By the way, the manual is wrong on multiple points:

- Badguys change into Alpha monsters each time you pass a multiple of 2000, not 1000. However, this won't help you if you also complete a level by doing so... the alpha monster won't appear on the next one.

- It is possible to dig beneath an apple from below without dying, but you have to move on to the left or right instantly after that.

- Not sometimes, but every time you try to push an apple sideways and a badguy is on the other side, that badguy will instantly turn into a blue chomper.

Some more tips:

- It's usually more advisable (if you get the timing right) to directly let a badguy (any type) be squashed by a falling apple without first letting the apple fall down one level.

- You can safely eliminate badguys if you're on one side of an apple and the badguy is on the other side. As long as you're trying to push the apple to the badguy's side, neither you nor the apple nor the badguy will move. However, as soon as you get the power ball, shoot it off... it will go over the apple and kill the badguy on the other side, but this only works if the path between you and the badguy is clear of dirt.

- I'd advise you to try to rather pick up all the cherries and get out of the way of the monsters. Reserve the use of the power ball for really nasty ones - blue chompers or fast-moving badguys following you. It may pay off to shoot an alpha monster, though... but take no risk getting to it, because it only earns you a fifth of a life, while you may lose a whole one by taking risks.

- If a badguy follows you closely, don't try to reach an apple which you can let fall on the badguy. Chances are you will have to change direction first, and at that time the badguy will get you.

- A good way to start a level is to wait until the first badguy comes out and lead it under a falling apple. This will give you 1000 points (which is a 50% chance an alpha monster will come out, provided you're on a useful letter) and one badguy less on the level (I counted 6 badguys on one level, but I'm not sure if they are the same number on every level).

- If a badguy stays on screen for a longer time, it will eventually morph into a blue chomper, and it will also eventually speed up. However, changing a badguy into an alpha monster seems to slow it down again. And I've also seen blue chompers morph back into normal badguys.

- This game is remarkably similar to Dig Dug. Several tricks (i.e. how to handle falling apples / rocks and let monsters follow you in order to crush them under an apple/rock) work on both games.

For the arcade gamers in you, these are some of the main differences in gameplay between the 2600 and the arcade version:

- On the 2600, there are only 2 enemies at once; in the arcade, there are several more (I think I counted 5-6).

- The arcade game awards alpha monsters at multiples of 5000, not 2000 points. Those come out of the "Extra" box instead of one of the bad guys turning into them and stay on screen for some time before they go back into the "Extra" box. If you make a screen at the same time as reaching that score, the alpha monster does come out at the start of the next screen.

- After the last enemy has spawned, the spawn spot turns into a bonus item. If you take this, the bad guys freeze, and the alpha monster comes out of the "Extra" box accompanied by 3 or 4 blue chompers. Once you've defeated the alpha monster, the normal action goes on. (this feature has been omitted completely in the 2600 version). At that time, both the alpha monster and all remaining blue chompers turn into apples which fall if they are in a vertical lane. The alpha monster also turns into an apple after having been on the screen alone, while it completely disappears in the 2600 version after being defeated.

- The bad guys don't morph into blue chompers, rather they morph into "diggers" which dig through dirt like the blue chompers do in the 2600 version, but more slowly.

- The enemy AI is obviously different. The bad guys chase you more aggressively in the arcade, but try to flee from falling rocks (but often don't succeed in doing so)

- The logic of digging in the dirt is different. If you dig two adjacent lanes in the 2600 version, there's nothing between them, while there's a wall in the arcade version which the bad guys (except for diggers) can't cross (but falling rocks can).

- In the arcade, there are 8 cherries per block vs. the 6 in the 2600 version, and the apples always are outside the cherry blocks (which are closer together than on the 2600), while they can be inside of them on the 2600.

- In the arcade, the cherries are sometimes laid out horizontally and sometimes vertically. On the 2600, all cherry blocks are laid out horizontally (that is, 2 rows x 3 colums).

- In the arcade, the playfield is a grid of 13x12; on the 2600 it's 16x8.

- In the arcade, apples break up after falling more than 1 lane deep at one time. However, they are allowed to fall down by 1 line several times as long as each fall isn't longer than that. In the 2600 version, they break up after falling 2 or more levels from their original location anyway (even if there were only 2 short falls).

I try to just get six cherries in a row and if I can get a kill or two in then I do. I don't go out of my way to kill the enemies because they are way too fast. I also only go after the Alphas if they are on my path.

--Zero

OK, this seems to be my best so far... 35650.

post-8393-1193331578_thumb.jpg

By the way, the manual is wrong on multiple points:

- Badguys change into Alpha monsters each time you pass a multiple of 2000, not 1000. However, this won't help you if you also complete a level by doing so... the alpha monster won't appear on the next one.

- It is possible to dig beneath an apple from below without dying, but you have to move on to the left or right instantly after that.

- Not sometimes, but every time you try to push an apple sideways and a badguy is on the other side, that badguy will instantly turn into a blue chomper.

Some more tips:

- It's usually more advisable (if you get the timing right) to directly let a badguy (any type) be squashed by a falling apple without first letting the apple fall down one level.

- You can safely eliminate badguys if you're on one side of an apple and the badguy is on the other side. As long as you're trying to push the apple to the badguy's side, neither you nor the apple nor the badguy will move. However, as soon as you get the power ball, shoot it off... it will go over the apple and kill the badguy on the other side, but this only works if the path between you and the badguy is clear of dirt.

- I'd advise you to try to rather pick up all the cherries and get out of the way of the monsters. Reserve the use of the power ball for really nasty ones - blue chompers or fast-moving badguys following you. It may pay off to shoot an alpha monster, though... but take no risk getting to it, because it only earns you a fifth of a life, while you may lose a whole one by taking risks.

- If a badguy follows you closely, don't try to reach an apple which you can let fall on the badguy. Chances are you will have to change direction first, and at that time the badguy will get you.

- A good way to start a level is to wait until the first badguy comes out and lead it under a falling apple. This will give you 1000 points (which is a 50% chance an alpha monster will come out, provided you're on a useful letter) and one badguy less on the level (I counted 6 badguys on one level, but I'm not sure if they are the same number on every level).

- If a badguy stays on screen for a longer time, it will eventually morph into a blue chomper, and it will also eventually speed up. However, changing a badguy into an alpha monster seems to slow it down again. And I've also seen blue chompers morph back into normal badguys.

- This game is remarkably similar to Dig Dug. Several tricks (i.e. how to handle falling apples / rocks and let monsters follow you in order to crush them under an apple/rock) work on both games.

For the arcade gamers in you, these are some of the main differences in gameplay between the 2600 and the arcade version:

- On the 2600, there are only 2 enemies at once; in the arcade, there are several more (I think I counted 5-6).

- The arcade game awards alpha monsters at multiples of 5000, not 2000 points. Those come out of the "Extra" box instead of one of the bad guys turning into them and stay on screen for some time before they go back into the "Extra" box. If you make a screen at the same time as reaching that score, the alpha monster does come out at the start of the next screen.

- After the last enemy has spawned, the spawn spot turns into a bonus item. If you take this, the bad guys freeze, and the alpha monster comes out of the "Extra" box accompanied by 3 or 4 blue chompers. Once you've defeated the alpha monster, the normal action goes on. (this feature has been omitted completely in the 2600 version). At that time, both the alpha monster and all remaining blue chompers turn into apples which fall if they are in a vertical lane. The alpha monster also turns into an apple after having been on the screen alone, while it completely disappears in the 2600 version after being defeated.

- The bad guys don't morph into blue chompers, rather they morph into "diggers" which dig through dirt like the blue chompers do in the 2600 version, but more slowly.

- The enemy AI is obviously different. The bad guys chase you more aggressively in the arcade, but try to flee from falling rocks (but often don't succeed in doing so)

- The logic of digging in the dirt is different. If you dig two adjacent lanes in the 2600 version, there's nothing between them, while there's a wall in the arcade version which the bad guys (except for diggers) can't cross (but falling rocks can).

- In the arcade, there are 8 cherries per block vs. the 6 in the 2600 version, and the apples always are outside the cherry blocks (which are closer together than on the 2600), while they can be inside of them on the 2600.

- In the arcade, the cherries are sometimes laid out horizontally and sometimes vertically. On the 2600, all cherry blocks are laid out horizontally (that is, 2 rows x 3 colums).

- In the arcade, the playfield is a grid of 13x12; on the 2600 it's 16x8.

- In the arcade, apples break up after falling more than 1 lane deep at one time. However, they are allowed to fall down by 1 line several times as long as each fall isn't longer than that. In the 2600 version, they break up after falling 2 or more levels from their original location anyway (even if there were only 2 short falls).