Photo

flat ribbon cable

5 replies to this topic

#1 geo315 OFFLINE  

geo315

Combat Commando

• 3 posts

Posted Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:08 AM

Where do I find replacement a cable ? Mine seems to be broken ( some of the wires ) thanks Geo.

#2 mimo OFFLINE  

mimo

Preppie!

• 6,804 posts
  • It's easy living in a bubble

Posted Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:46 PM

your best bet would be to try Best Electronics
If you can't see what you want then send an E mail to Bradley Koda (the owner)
Failing that try the Wanted section here and see if anyone is parting out a busted VCS

#3 A.J. Franzman OFFLINE  

A.J. Franzman

River Patroller

• 4,327 posts
  • Syzygyst

Posted Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:10 AM

Are you referring to the cable connecting the boards in a six-switcher? Atari made those in two versions: a mylar printed circuit ribbon with male connections at each end (female header connectors on both boards), and a couple of styles with wire ribbon cable with a female connector on the switchboard end (male header connector on the switchboard) and directly soldered to the mainboard. The Field Service Manual notes that the mylar type was found to be unreliable and recommends that in the event of problems with it, it should be replaced with the wire type (which also involves removing the header connector from the mainboard, and replacing the female header connector on the switchboard with a male header connector).

Sorry I don't have either style available for you, but if yours is a mylar type and you need to replace it, I definitely recommend that you switch to the wire type.

#4 geo315 OFFLINE  

geo315

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 3 posts

Posted Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:51 PM

your best bet would be to try Best Electronics
If you can't see what you want then send an E mail to Bradley Koda (the owner)
Failing that try the Wanted section here and see if anyone is parting out a busted VCS

It took me a while to get back but thanks i'll try that link you gave me , Geo.

#5 geo315 OFFLINE  

geo315

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 3 posts

Posted Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:51 PM

Are you referring to the cable connecting the boards in a six-switcher? Atari made those in two versions: a mylar printed circuit ribbon with male connections at each end (female header connectors on both boards), and a couple of styles with wire ribbon cable with a female connector on the switchboard end (male header connector on the switchboard) and directly soldered to the mainboard. The Field Service Manual notes that the mylar type was found to be unreliable and recommends that in the event of problems with it, it should be replaced with the wire type (which also involves removing the header connector from the mainboard, and replacing the female header connector on the switchboard with a male header connector).

Sorry I don't have either style available for you, but if yours is a mylar type and you need to replace it, I definitely recommend that you switch to the wire type.

Thanks for the reply, Geo.

#6 RupanIII OFFLINE  

RupanIII

Moonsweeper

• 327 posts

Posted Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:22 AM

hey, i'm onto a nice kit with 26awg wire for this. the exact measurement is 2.54mm pin pitch. 

Does anyone know any reason 26awg wire would not be appropriate. 

Chassis/bundled wire spec for copper 26awg is 1.3 amp and the system draws 500amp based on the base 7802 power regulator and nowhere near 1amp with the RGB mod at all. 

I had a friggin flat mylar cable SOLDERED into an otherwise pristine H6er and have been seeking a replacement. 

I think this kit is good to go, can anyone tell me if they forsee something I dont. 

Edited by RupanIII, Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:22 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users