IGNORED

Atari Flashback Jaguar

Cynn

I think it would be awesome to get one of the redesigned "Flashback" consoles based after the Jag.

What do you guys think? Possible or not?

I think, that´s a great idea. However, I don´t think that´s possible at reasonable cost. Compared to "VCS technology" the Jaguar is more complicated to redesign it as a "Flashback" console, not to mention the size of most of the games. Nevertheless, it´s a great idea and I like it very much.

Most of the netlists have been posted that someone could start working on an FPGA version of the Jag... Its gonna take a bit of realestate to do it - you might be able to squeeze it all into a Spartan-3 FPGA (XC3S400) and make a possible portable out of it as well.

Curt

I think it would be awesome to get one of the redesigned "Flashback" consoles based after the Jag.

• Like 1

I think, that´s a great idea. However, I don´t think that´s possible at reasonable cost. Compared to "VCS technology" the Jaguar is more complicated to redesign it as a "Flashback" console, not to mention the size of most of the games. Nevertheless, it´s a great idea and I like it very much.

It would be cool if they included Wolfenstein, Doom, Iron Soldier, Alien vs. Predator, Ultra Vortek, NBA Jam, Ruiner Pinball, Attack of the Mutant Penguins, Super Burnout, Rayman, Cybermorph, Missle Command 3D, Tempest 2k, and Defender 2K. I would buy that.

Edited by The Helper

yeah, even I would buy one with the Jag being my 2nd least favorite Atari system ever made. It has enough ok-good games to make a good compilation. Now a 7800 flashback would be a complete waste of time and resources.

LOL! I think that was what they were shooting for with the first Flashback that LOOKED like a miniature 7800.

As far as the Jaguar goes, you would probably see a "Flashback ST" long before the Jaguar.

There will never be a Jag Flashback. Except for collectors, nobody is missing the Jag. Most people never saw or played one so there was nothing for them to connect to like they did withe VCS. Mass producing a new one for just the collecting community would be an enormous waste of money because you would never recoup the the cost.

Most of the netlists have been posted that someone could start working on an FPGA version of the Jag... Its gonna take a bit of realestate to do it - you might be able to squeeze it all into a Spartan-3 FPGA (XC3S400) and make a possible portable out of it as well.

Oh yes. That would make me EXTREMELY happy! :D

yeah, even I would buy one with the Jag being my 2nd least favorite Atari system ever made. It has enough ok-good games to make a good compilation. Now a 7800 flashback would be a complete waste of time and resources.

LOL! I think that was what they were shooting for with the first Flashback that LOOKED like a miniature 7800.

As far as the Jaguar goes, you would probably see a "Flashback ST" long before the Jaguar.

I never noticed the look, in fact, i never really payed much attention to the flashbacks regardless, i'm in the boat of playing the real thing, but as far as a Jag flashback goes, yeah, I'd still probably pick one up, but as it's already been mentioned, there's absolutely no market for it, to few people remember or even know about it, it would be a financial disaster.

There will never be a Jag Flashback. Except for collectors, nobody is missing the Jag. Most people never saw or played one so there was nothing for them to connect to like they did withe VCS. Mass producing a new one for just the collecting community would be an enormous waste of money because you would never recoup the the cost.

What joeybastard says here is not only very logical, but makes sense financially, and that is the bottom line that matters most. ;) Why would today's Atari, if they even have their head above waterpost-9089-1198024239.gif with all their problems, make a flashback for a system no one gave a shit about in the first place back in the mid-nineties? Poor sales when it was alive don't indicate good sales after death. Many people have never heard of Atari's Jaguar.

Didn't the current Atari say somewhere there will be no more Flashback1&2 units made and no Flashback3?

Didn't Hasbro when they owned Atari release all Atari rights to the Jaguar in '99 when Scatologic/4-Play made that deal with them to get BattleSphere released?

Aren't the custom Jaguar RISC's and the complexity of the system, prohibitive of making a cost effective Jaguar Flashback for such a small niche market?

With all the people they let go after their stock took a steep dive, do they have resources for such development?

Has Atari been delisted from the NYSE?, I know there was/is a meeting about such a move.

I don't see this becoming reality anytime soon, maybe in twenty years when they could put all Atari console systems and all the games for each on a 50 year Atari anniversary super-retro system of some kind.

Seems like most of you here believe that Flashback type units sold on nostalgia alone. (I have both myself) I wonder if a Jag unit would really be hurt by the fact that no one liked it in the 90’s. I would think it could sell on the merit of being 3D alone. I don't think many plug and play classic devices on the market can boast being 3D at the moment and most customers of such would not even remember the 90's. Pack Iron Soldier and Cybermorph in there so it's "3D" and then add in some Tempest 2K, Missile Command 3D and Defender to round it out.

I guess with the state of Atari and the cost of Jag architecture, a "jagback" will never happen. It sure would be great if one did though. If I were to REALLY dream, I'd want it made like the Sega Playpal and include Battlesphere with ports for linked multiplayer with others.

The flashback idea hit me when I was talking to a friend about AvP for the Jag. I believe that with the new movie and such, a developer could port the Jag AvP to the Nintendo DS and make a killing. AvP is one of my fave games and I'd love to see more people enjoy it.

Just as a semi intro here: I got into Jag when the first "lost" sets were found in the old Atari storage and sold at KB Toys and Toy Liquidators. I got a brand new Jag for $35.00 and was thrilled. I'd always wanted one as a kid and had only rented one from a local video store. I got new copies of Zool, Iron Soldier, Club Drive, etc. I then went to the video store mentioned above and as strange as it seems, they were selling all of the Jaguar rental games at the same time. I got them all. I have around 20 games now although I don't get to play them much anymore.

I think a faster version of the Jaguar (1.3295gHz!!) would be a good, especially if it had a DVD or Blu-Ray player that allowed dvd graphics and the Jags own graphics to be displayed at the same time. Some people might buy it just for the DVD/Blu-Ray player.

Edited by Math You

Welcome to Atariage Cynn!, I haven't heard about these "lost sets" of Jaguar units, and them being liquidated at KB Toys & Toy Liquidators. So, someone found an Atari storage space packed with new in-box Jag consoles...interesting. :) Wouldn't mind knowing a little more about this, will have to search the net or if you have more info. :cool: I know that all Jaguar retailers Toys-R-Us, etc., including Walmart sent their Jag stock back to Atari after the product was deemed a total failure. Maybe some of the 70 wherehouses Atari owned before their JTS merger were fogotten about and not included in the deal or sold beforehand.

That would be great to rent out some storage place and find it already packed to the rafters with pallets of Jaguar consoles!!! :P The owner saying; we'll give you a discount if you clean out the previous person's crap. :P :D

Welcome to Atariage Cynn!, I haven't heard about these "lost sets" of Jaguar units, and them being liquidated at KB Toys & Toy Liquidators. So, someone found an Atari storage space packed with new in-box Jag consoles...interesting. :) Wouldn't mind knowing a little more about this, will have to search the net or if you have more info. :cool: I know that all Jaguar retailers Toys-R-Us, etc., including Walmart sent their Jag stock back to Atari after the product was deemed a total failure. Maybe some of the 70 wherehouses Atari owned before their JTS merger were fogotten about and not included in the deal or sold beforehand.

That would be great to rent out some storage place and find it already packed to the rafters with pallets of Jaguar consoles!!! :P The owner saying; we'll give you a discount if you clean out the previous person's crap. :P :D

New Jags and games were sold at KayBee toys for a while after Atari merged with JTS. But this was a long time ago.

Thanks for the welcome! Helper is right though, it was a long time ago. They had around 50 new Jaguar systems for $35.00 piled in a pyramid with a huge rack of games behind them all priced at $4.99! I about fell over as I walked by the store in the mall.

• Like 1

People would buy a Jaguar Flashback.

Don't believe me?

This was a best selling videogame.

He is a famous movie director.

It would sell, no problem.

But would Atari have enough confidence to admit up front to it's mistakes? "Yeah, we goofed. The 68k chip was a bad idea in retrospect." would go a long way to winning back fans.

The other challenge is getting the rights to half it's games. Businesses are risk adverse to the point where they hurt their own bottom line rather than take a chance without a greenlight from C- marketing 101 graduates.

Edited by A Sprite
  • Like 1

I remember going to Electronics Boutique in the mall here in El Paso and finding a Jaguar on clearance for $24-- and regret not picking it up when it was there :( That was years ago, I was in the army and didn't really have time for games then, though.

Great pic of the jag cart art! Maybe that ought to have its own console, as it's pretty close to what's happening to Atari (quest for identity).

I'd love to see a Jag flashback. I don't buy them for nostalgia, I buy them cause they're FUN.

Nathan

Curt

With some thinking and an owner of the Spartan3E and the Net lists, I can tell you maybe TOM and Jerry would fit but you

would need an outboard 68xxx. Of course you can go up to the virtex series and probably fit two or three Jags on it. I say

all the better as that outboard 68xxx will eb an 030 to an 060...have not decided yet.

Besides, the Jag II is ready except for the Toshiba and Motorola sim libs we need for testing. I could build a chipset tomorrow

(well soon) if we had those but unfortunately I dont have them.

I remember going to Electronics Boutique in the mall here in El Paso and finding a Jaguar on clearance for $24-- and regret not picking it up when it was there :( That was years ago, I was in the army and didn't really have time for games then, though.

Great pic of the jag cart art! Maybe that ought to have its own console, as it's pretty close to what's happening to Atari (quest for identity).

I'd love to see a Jag flashback. I don't buy them for nostalgia, I buy them cause they're FUN.

Nathan

I bought my first Jag at a KB Toys for that price in El Paso. Greetings from someone in Alabama to someone in my birth place.

I don't think a Jaguar flashback would sell to well. I would probably buy one just to have another thing to add to the Jag collection.