IGNORED

Atari 1600? What's up with that?

yorgle

Purusing the net I've found a number of instances where a VCS or 2600 is referred to as an "Atari 1600." Try googling "Atari 1600" to see what I mean. Seems odd that so many people would make the same mistake. Is there some reason (unbeknownst to me) why the term "1600" would be associated with a VCS or 2600?

Purusing the net I've found a number of instances where a VCS or 2600 is referred to as an "Atari 1600." Try googling "Atari 1600" to see what I mean. Seems odd that so many people would make the same mistake. Is there some reason (unbeknownst to me) why the term "1600" would be associated with a VCS or 2600?
You know, you're topic made me think about a certain Uncyclopedia article.

Going back to the subject of confused naming, I did a search for "Atari 1600", and it turns out that you were right. This confused naming really baffles me, as well. Anyone else have any opinions on this?

yes,

key [1] is right next to key [2]

Mystery solved.

Peace

yes,

key [1] is right next to key [2]

Mystery solved.

Peace

Then there should be a plethora of Atari 3600 references out there, too? Or 2500, or 2699, etc.?

[Edit]: Hmm...there does appear to be legitimate 3600 references. Apparently it's the prototype for the 7800.

Edited by BigO

The only legitimate system that's odd that i've seen is the VCS 2800. The old Japanese version. Anything else could exist but I'm never heard of it. ;)

At least some Atari powersupplies reference the CX-2000 which baffled me for a long time until I found out what the "Val" was supposed to be:

http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/cons...2000/a2000.html

The only legitimate system that's odd that i've seen is the VCS 2800. The old Japanese version. Anything else could exist but I'm never heard of it. ;)

At least some Atari powersupplies reference the CX-2000 which baffled me for a long time until I found out what the "Val" was supposed to be:

http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/cons...2000/a2000.html

Thanks for the refresher course. I completely forgot about that little gem. ;)

Maybe the 1600 was the unit that lacked the difficulty switches and had only one controller port. :?

That was an interesting read on the CX-2000. Another interesting read I had recently was on the 2700, which was a wireless console. Wireless sticks with a range of 1000 feet!? Hey, not only can I take control of my neighbor's game, but I can reset every single game on the entire block!! :lolblue:

Maybe the 1600 was the unit that lacked the difficulty switches and had only one controller port. :?

That was an interesting read on the CX-2000. Another interesting read I had recently was on the 2700, which was a wireless console. Wireless sticks with a range of 1000 feet!? Hey, not only can I take control of my neighbor's game, but I can reset every single game on the entire block!! :lolblue:

did they ever come out with the 6200 and 6800 then?

Whenever coworkers, fellow students, and other such acquaintances find out I'm into old games, they'll always tell me something like "Oh, I have an old Atari computer! It's a 5400! I play Super Mario Bros. and/or Tetris on it all the time!" I've heard of the Atari 500, 5400, 7200, 7600, 2200, 6200, 200, 1000, and the like-- all in person, not something that can be blamed on a typo.

The simple explanation-- people remember Atari "some number that ends in hundred," usually remember one of the leading digits, and they extemporaneously try to recreate the name from this memory.

Now, if I can figure out why they all claim to be playing SMB or Tetris...

Whenever coworkers, fellow students, and other such acquaintances find out I'm into old games, they'll always tell me something like "Oh, I have an old Atari computer! It's a 5400! I play Super Mario Bros. and/or Tetris on it all the time!" I've heard of the Atari 500, 5400, 7200, 7600, 2200, 6200, 200, 1000, and the like-- all in person, not something that can be blamed on a typo.

The simple explanation-- people remember Atari "some number that ends in hundred," usually remember one of the leading digits, and they extemporaneously try to recreate the name from this memory.

Now, if I can figure out why they all claim to be playing SMB or Tetris...

I've played "Mario Bros." on the 2600 and you can play a flavor of Tetris relatively recently, but...

It is funny what the mind synthesizes and treats as "memories".

Edited by BigO