IGNORED

MADS Assembler English Documentation Project

As stated elsewhere, I've now started work on trying to produce an English-language manual for MADS (with a Welsh-language one to follow :P ). There are a few issues already, however.

1. I don't understand Polish, so am having to use an online translator - which is far from perfect. It's fine for things like short titles and headers, but converting entire paragraphs is a problem for it. So much of what I'm writing down at the minute is 'best guess'. Some bits that are also not that important are also being left out.

2. Since MADS borrows a great deal from XASM, the first few pages makes a lot of references to it. I've never used XASM so because of this, and the translation issue, I'm not 100% certain that everything I've written about XASM (or MADS for that matter) is accurate. I'd therefore appreciate some help checking for accuracy of content from anyone who has already used either assembler.

I'm still working on the Introduction section - my second attempt. Think I've worked out some of the quirks in translation and how to best use the translator output this time.

OK, i started translating MADS documentations to English in the middle of November but due to lack of time i gave up (at least for now). I've attached a textfile with all this i've done. Warning - it's raw and rough but maybe can help you a bit.

Thanks. It's no rougher than mine is at the minute. ;)

• 3 months later...

Has there been any progress with this documentation. I like MADS because its easy to port from MAC/65 and even capable of mixing stuff that was made for XASM and other assemblers.

What I need specifically is information regarding bank loading for a cartridge. Cartridges that use bank switching, XEGS and so-forth. I see there is something about it, (LMB ##, NMB, RMB), but not sure it does the trick of loading stuff into different banks for a cartridge image. I pretty much know how to do the bank switching on the $D5xx registers, but not sure how to compile a XEGS cart image.

MAC/65 -> CA65 isn't too difficult either and its macro support pretty much covers everything else you maybe trying to do in MADS. The linker LD65 will take care of laying out the code into a binary image for you. Give it a try :cool: and I'll help you out when (if!) you get stuck ;)

Regards,

Mark

• 1 month later...

Hey I have attempted to use the Google translation of the page, it worked for the most part. I attempted to copy and past it into a blank document, but now has both Polish-English mixed after every sentence. I started editing some of the Polish text out of it and tried to changed some of the other un-translated words to English. I currently don't have a whole lot of time since I am working on the Tempest Xtreem project

The translation is not 100% complete and hoping someone can complete the editing and figure out what some of these things finally translate to.

MADS_MIXXED.txt

• 11 months later...
Hey I have attempted to use the Google translation of the page, it worked for the most part. I attempted to copy and past it into a blank document, but now has both Polish-English mixed after every sentence. I started editing some of the Polish text out of it and tried to changed some of the other un-translated words to English. I currently don't have a whole lot of time since I am working on the Tempest Xtreem project

The translation is not 100% complete and hoping someone can complete the editing and figure out what some of these things finally translate to.

Bumping an old topic, but has anyone made progress with this documentation? The VBXE2 source code examples were done with MADS 1.8.4 so I will be learning to use it.

Stephen Anderson

• 3 months later...

Bumping an old topic, but has anyone made progress with this documentation? The VBXE2 source code examples were done with MADS 1.8.4 so I will be learning to use it.

Stephen Anderson

hi,

I did this also on google and it seems a bit more translated. I hope it is usable to some and anyone is welcome to update it as they see fit. thanks for all the great info in these forums.

Ken

MADS-English.txt

• 1 year later...

I totally forgot Ken had posted a pretty good MADS doc so I just did it again before I discovered his. icon_smile.gif Some of the text is less "dense" in places. Anyway, it can't hurt:

MADS Assembler - English Translation.TXT

This is a fine assembler but I don't think I'm using more than ten per cent of the (very useful) advanced features at the moment.

Edited by flashjazzcat

• 1 year later...

Here's an edited version on the section on MADS' relocatable binary format:

MADS Relocatable Binaries.txt

The parts I understand the least probably make the least sense (i.e. parameter passing and software stack manipulation). I'll have another look at these when I have a better grasp of them. :)

• 3 years later...

Necrobump ...

If anyone is still trying to translate this doc to English, I have a possible means:

https://www.duolingo.com/comment/13018157

Duolingo is a site that is for language learning (I have been using it to learn Swedish), and they recently added Polish for English speakers. In addition, some clever cookie has figured out how to add Immersion ... which is, crowd sourced translation of web documents, in this case from Polish to English. The people who translate it get experience points and learn a new language. I have already made a request about getting the MADS docs put up there, so that people can translate them. This might be a good way to go about it!

Edited by Synthpopalooza
  • Like 2

First one is up on Duolingo:

https://www.duolingo.com/translation/1ff6b75a23d2f61f1253993d5f685089(the MADS pascal one).

All you need is a duolingo account, and a rough knowledge of Polish and English ... anyone who knows both languages is of course welcome to contribute.

This resource could also be used to translate other Atari docs (German or Polish) into English or German or any other language desired. If anyone has another Polish or German doc they want uploaded, let me know.

• Like 1

Necrobump ...

If anyone is still trying to translate this doc to English, I have a possible means:

https://www.duolingo.com/comment/13018157

Duolingo is a site that is for language learning (I have been using it to learn Swedish), and they recently added Polish for English speakers. In addition, some clever cookie has figured out how to add Immersion ... which is, crowd sourced translation of web documents, in this case from Polish to English. The people who translate it get experience points and learn a new language. I have already made a request about getting the MADS docs put up there, so that people can translate them. This might be a good way to go about it!

I will keep the English version up to date with the changes after 1.9.5. There are not so many deltas, still for them this site might be helpful.

This thread was continiue here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/179559-mads-knowledge-base/?p=2686212

• Like 2