IGNORED

Atari Graphics Lab

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Did this tool die off? It looked very promising...

--Selgus

Yea, it looks like it. Lightman hasn't posted since his last update to the program in March 2008. Hopefully he'll get back into it someday but it's not looking to good right now.

Allan

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Sorry for disappearing. There were a lot of things going on, for me personally, and it took me ages to get back to the code base. Unfortunately, when I did, I discovered it was a mess. I spent a long time cleaning it up and then finally putting in the player-missile (sprite) stuff, which is what I wanted to have done for the first beta. It worked... mostly. However, it was really hack-ish and not what I wanted. Unfortunately, adding the sprite code kind of brought the project crashing down. First, my original code was not very well organised and everything was tied heavily to Irrlicht. That brings me to the major stumbling block.

Irrlicht is a good engine but it's really targeted at gaming. When this project was simple, it wasn't an issue. However, as the project grew, I could see the cracks starting to show. I patched the GUI code to improve on problems I had with their system and hoped they would be updated in newer versions. They weren't. Every time I upgraded Irrlicht, I have to go back and patch all the changes I made into it. That's too much of a hassle. The other issue is that it's just too slow and cumbersome for this kind of program. Irrlicht is not built for general GUI development.

So, I finally had to scrap the project. I've re-started with FLTK, but I could only bring over small parts of the old code base. The good news is that the code is starting out organised, this time, and that FLTK is made for GUI applications. I'll post as soon as I get things rolling again.

Cheers

Hi,

Sorry for disappearing. There were a lot of things going on, for me personally, and it took me ages to get back to the code base. Unfortunately, when I did, I discovered it was a mess. I spent a long time cleaning it up and then finally putting in the player-missile (sprite) stuff, which is what I wanted to have done for the first beta. It worked... mostly. However, it was really hack-ish and not what I wanted. Unfortunately, adding the sprite code kind of brought the project crashing down. First, my original code was not very well organised and everything was tied heavily to Irrlicht. That brings me to the major stumbling block.

Irrlicht is a good engine but it's really targeted at gaming. When this project was simple, it wasn't an issue. However, as the project grew, I could see the cracks starting to show. I patched the GUI code to improve on problems I had with their system and hoped they would be updated in newer versions. They weren't. Every time I upgraded Irrlicht, I have to go back and patch all the changes I made into it. That's too much of a hassle. The other issue is that it's just too slow and cumbersome for this kind of program. Irrlicht is not built for general GUI development.

So, I finally had to scrap the project. I've re-started with FLTK, but I could only bring over small parts of the old code base. The good news is that the code is starting out organised, this time, and that FLTK is made for GUI applications. I'll post as soon as I get things rolling again.

Cheers

Good that you have a chance to get back at this project again. I would be very interested to have a tool like this. Looks like you have plans for most of the features I can think of off the top of my head. A few that come to mind, that I didn't hear mentioned are:

1. Grid, or grid option, for editing pixels of a character.

2. Saving and loading of brushes.

3. Editing pixels of a brush.

4. Editable brush sizes.

5. Grid for brushes (broken down by character).

As far as implementing a zooming mode goes, it's always good to have as many levels of zooming possible for working on pixel creations.

Best of success on the project...

Edited by MrFish

• 6 years later...

File dropper is the hosting site but:

" The files are kept forever as long as they are being downloaded. If the files are not downloaded even once within 30 days consecutively they are removed. If you have a premium account your files are never deleted. "

And:

2015-02-26: AT800 V.0.6.0 Link was broken. Restored.

Contact him and let him know you get File Dropper's generic sign up page instead of his file?