IGNORED

what you use to play 2600 games?

Atari Joe

What you use for playing the 2600 games? I got a 7800 and a 2600 and a 5200... i use 7800 for playing 7800 games like asterodis and pole position II and galaga and ms pac-man and then i use the 5200 for playing my 5200 games like the super break out and pac-man but the 2600 i got is nice and i keep it in a special case and i dont play 2600 games on it i play the 2600 games on the 5200 system with the converter.

so there are lotsa different ways to play 2600... you can play it on 7800 on 5200 on 2600 on colcovision and odyssey 2 so what do you play it on? not emulators thanx joe.

I use:

* my six-switch Atari 2600 because it was easy to replace the "leaky" video cable with a modern one (not all the carts fit properly into the smaller slot, though)

* Stella for Mac OS X

And in the future:

* my four-switch Atari 2600 when I modify it for composite video (inside there is a nasty corner so it's not easy to replace the "leaky" video cable)

Voch

Awwww man the 5200 Super System rules all! 5200 4 LYF3!!!!1. 2600 & 5200 are like inseparable brothers.. What are you some kind of Colecovision fanatic holdover from the console wars of days past?!

Now don't be knocking my sentimental favorite there sucka.. you remember what we used to do to your 5200-hating/Coleco-loving type.. it's sort of the same thing done now to Xbox fanboys (which are basically the same breed). Of course now that the wars are over, Colecovision is awesome.. but STILL :x :D *cough*

;)

As far as what I play 2600 games on, my original sears model is back at home in some box 7000 miles away along w/ the majority of my collection. So what I play now is all 2nd hand stuff. For example I currently play the games on one of two 2600's I bought at Goodwill for 7 bucks each. And the carts I have were bought in similar fashion. Otherwise I use the Cuttle Cart to load up games. Works great.

I have a number of 2600's, one of which is my childhood one that I got Nolan to autograph. Needless to say, that one has long since been retired to being a "display queen". I have a Vader hooked up in the living room to the big screen. That is for gamenight, and we get some wicked 4 way Warlords going on.

For me, when I just want to play or poke around, I have a Jr. hooked up in my office next to my computer on a little thrift store TV. It was great for testing the Polo carts before I shipped them out.

Anyone ever notice they beat their own best times/scores on smaller TV's? I think its easier to play on a small screen. Maybe just me.

Cassidy

:)

In the beginning I used my TeleGames 6 switch. It died after a few years.

Then I picked up a Coleco Gemini, which worked for most games.

My 7800 was next, eventually boxed up for my Vader system.

Which now usually collects dust for my emulators. :(

I like playing most games on my 7800 with the 2600 joystick or the joypads if a game needs 2 button support (damm 1 on 1 basketball! uses the 2nd button only to call a time out!). A lot of the games I play are through the supercharger and bin2wav on an old computer (Qb is a current fav).

And when I feel like playing in the living room on the couch I also fire up my Dreamcast and play all the Atari 2600, 5200, and Atari 8-bit games on some nice emulators.

there sure are different ways to play huh?

-O

I play all my 2600 games on my good old six-switch woody, but I am thinking about buying a 7800 and some games and maybe play my 2600's on it.

:)  :)  8)

I'm sure you heard it all before but after a few rounds of Food Fight, Commando, and Ball Blazer you are going to wish you had a 7800 awhile ago :D

And now that you mention the ol' six-switch, I have to confess that I have a woody 2600 without a power supply right now next to my 7800 that I just like to look at while playing some Atari. Something about it makes it seem like the proper thing to do ;)

I usually play my Atari 2600 games on my Intellivision! :P

But seriously...

My main "game room" is in the basement, where I have my original 4-switch woody VCS from 1982 hooked up, along with my Intellivision. (I use an A-B switch from Radio Shack to go between the 2.) The vast majority of my 2600 games are down there and that's where they get played, on a Panasonic 20-inch TV.

I have my 7800 and all of its games, along with some of my duplicate favorites (Pitfall!, Yars' Revenge, Space Invaders. Missile Command, etc.) for the 2600 hooked up to a 13-inch TV up in the bedroom.

My Darth Vader system and a bunch of my triplicate games just went up to Michigan to live at my wife's family farmhouse for when we all go up there during holidays.

My main "game room" is in the basement, where I have my original 4-switch woody VCS from 1982 hooked up, along with my Intellivision.  (I use an A-B switch from Radio Shack to go between the 2.)  The vast majority of my 2600 games are down there and that's where they get played, on a Panasonic 20-inch TV.

I have an Inty II next to my Atari 2600 with the same coax switch.

Voch

I use an Atari 2600 Jnr because I don't have room for my 6-switch and the port on it scratches the bottom of the cart. I don't use my 7800 because the Cuttle Cart manuals says not to (and I've only got about three 7800 carts).

I just missed out on getting an Atari adapter for my Coleco recently. If I'd started a particular swap-meet at the other end I would have beat some of the local competition to it.

I use a six switch woodgrain. I do have a 7800 (the wierd european scart lead model) but it has a really bad picture so it stays on the shelf.

I still can't get on with VCS emulators, though I think thats more a problem with computer based games in general, I just can't relax into a game while sitting perched at the Mac.

I agree -- emulators just aren't as much fun. I play on one of my actual Ataris. A great weekend is when I can take a few hours, get out my bins and just play play play, noting any old high scores of mine that I've beaten. (Yup, I have a notebook. Wanna make something of it? :D )

CF

There's nothing like playing the games on the console itself! I've got a 4 switch woodgrain that gets a lot of use. Cool thing is, I just got a new 25" television (courtesy of my girlfriend) so my games look better than ever. :D

Every once in a while, such as when I was playing to compete in the Activision Quest, I would use an emulator (Z26 is my favorite). I did so mainly for the ease of capturing screenshots. Still, it just isn't the same...

There's nothing like playing the games on the console itself! I've got a 4 switch woodgrain that gets a lot of use. Cool thing is, I just got a new 25" television (courtesy of my girlfriend) so my games look better than ever.  :D  

Boy i am jealous of you you got a real nice setup it sounds like! I am saving up monety to get a new tv and a big stero to hook it up to! even though the 2600 only got pretty bad sound it still would be nice to have a big stero to play games with! keep gaming buddy its a big 10-4 thanx joe.