IGNORED

The Ugliest Looking Game System Ever!

The Jaguar was funny looking with the Jaguar CD on it. It looked like a black shaped toilet!

Anthony....

It did look like a toilet, but I argue that it looked like an awesome space-age toilet.

The looks are my favorite part of the Jag/CD. looks so good on the shelf that I dust it off every few years. I mean 'dust it off' with a rag, not 'dust it off' by plugging it in and playing it...lord no. :D

Edited by Reaperman

The Jaguar was funny looking with the Jaguar CD on it. It looked like a black shaped toilet!

Anthony....

It did look like a toilet, but I argue that it looked like an awesome space-age toilet.

The looks are my favorite part of the Jag/CD. looks so good on the shelf that I dust it off every few years. I mean 'dust it off' with a rag, not 'dust it off' by plugging it in and playing it...lord no. :D

Hahahahaha.......Damn, that was good. You made my day Reaperman.

Anthony....

I'd have to say it's a tie between the original Xbox and the Intellivision. Both quite hideous.

Contrary to many, I think the TurboGrafix 16, NES, Jaguar and more were designed rather well. I think a good test is to see how well the designs hold up over time. Solid lines, good visual weight, balance between different elements and a nice palette of colors all make many of these machines still look pretty cool today.

The Jaguar itself is actually a nice-looking console. I've always had a thing for red on black, so I like Atari's choice of colors, and I also like the shape. They really should have done a better job on the JagCD, though; aside for the fact that it makes the system as a whole look like a toilet bowl, its design doesn't blend in very well with the console. The top if it looks fine (if a bit plain), but the door and eject buttons feel cheap, and the rim around the base with the visible seams and screw holes just looks tacky. They might have had more room for improvement if the Jaguar's power button wasn't directly underneath the lip of the JagCD; I think moving the power button out where the LED is would have been better.

I think the 2600, 5200 and 7800 are hideous. I'd say everything made by Atari but I think the Jaguar and Lynx look all right. Basically anything made before 1985 looks like dick.

Jaguar is a half-melted piece of trash.

I'm not sure what you mean by melted? But I like how the Jaguar looks even with the CD unit attached. The rounded corners look better than squared-off consoles and the Jaguar does have a pleasing asthetic, space age look to it. :)

plugging it in and playing it...lord no.

You should try to enjoy playing Jaguar more often than every few years. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am personal friends with the man who designed the looks of the fairchild channel f. he's still proud of his design to this day. that always makes me laugh. hahaha. what an ugly piece of crap like an old mans hifi.

You Know Nicholas F. Talesfore I have emailed him a few times seems like a real nice guy, and very helpfull

any chance you know Ron Smith would like to ask him a few questions but have not been able to make contact ?

FND

• 1 year later...

Wow, I'd forgotten about this thread. In my earlier post, I "nominated" the Sega Master System as the worst-looking, and I still think it ranks among the worst, but here are some more recent thoughts from a similar thread:

To me, the worst-looking of the "really old" consoles would have to be the Coleco Telstar Arcade—that's the triangle-shaped one with a gun, a steering wheel, and paddles built into it. It must have taken up a ton of shelf space in stores. Of the newer consoles, I'm afraid I'm also going to pick on the Jaguar/JagCD combo (hey, I own and love them both, but let's be honest ... making the JagCD a different color was the only way they could have made it any worse as a cosmetic match for the Jaguar).

Just to be a contrarian, I'd also mention the original "fat" PlayStation 3: I don't own any modern consoles, so I only got the chance to see the PS3 in person fairly recently, and I was aghast at how ugly and clunky-looking it was.

I never found any console ugly. Rather, I always looked at their visuals as individual "personality traits". Even things like the NES' front loading cart slot or the Intellivision's PITA side loaded cart slot, are just part of the console's personality. Take them as good, bad or ugly, they are what they are. Take 'em or leave 'em.

Interesting to me is the amount of what appears to be wasted space from consoles in the 70's and early 80's. The 2600, the CV and the IntV all seemed to choose size over ergonomics. I think each of them could have been built to a much smaller footprint. But then they wouldn't have their distinct 70's/80's personalities, and be as beautiful as they are. My guess is that the manufacturers didn't figure their consoles would be sharing space with other consoles, packed onto shelves.