IGNORED

K.O. Cruiser - my first homebrew

Devin

I'm also going to attempt to create a PAL version. Since the gameplay is based on timing tables, it won't be too much of a nightmare.

A PAL60 version (same timings as the NTSC version, but PAL colours) will be fine for most PAL people (like myself).

Chris

Select boxer screen? Where was that?

When you jump from the title screen, you can select your opponent. This was mainly for testing purposes. In the final version, you will have to start with Tomato ken and work your way up.

I'm also going to attempt to create a PAL version. Since the gameplay is based on timing tables, it won't be too much of a nightmare.

A PAL60 version (same timings as the NTSC version, but PAL colours) will be fine for most PAL people (like myself).

So, Atari's in Europe could play both PAL 50 and PAL 60?

So, Atari's in Europe could play both PAL 50 and PAL 60?

The Atari (the TIA) determines the color (AFAIK) but your code determines how many scanlines to output. Whether picture is stable or not depends on whether the TV can handle the scanlines your code puts out. I believe that virtually all TVs in Europe these days can handle both 50Hz and 60Hz displays.

The Atari (the TIA) determines the color (AFAIK) but your code determines how many scanlines to output. Whether picture is stable or not depends on whether the TV can handle the scanlines your code puts out. I believe that virtually all TVs in Europe these days can handle both 50Hz and 60Hz displays.

Yep, i also think most TVs in Europe can handle 60Hz so a PAL60 version would be fine.

Thanks for all the info everyone!

The PAL60 version was much easier than expected. Here is the final WIP of the game in both NTSC and PAL60. ... I have to admit that NTSC is vastly superior.

If you are using Stella, make sure to Control-F the PAL version to the correct palette.

WIP___2009_03_18___NTSC.bin

WIP___2009_03_18___PAL_60.bin

Edited by Devin

Congrats on getting so far with this project. Do you have any plans for distributing it in cartridges?

I must be doing something wrong when trying to play the PAL version. Stella starts it up with the wrong colors, then when I hit ^F, it goes black-and-white.

At this point, I think I can finally call the project complete. I've attached the final PAL and NTSC binaries. I've also attached the incomplete manual in PDF format. The manual is essentially complete with the exception of the Credits page which will be filled in later

Thank you everyone for your help and feedback.

KO_Cruiser_final_ntsc.bin

KO_Cruiser_final_pal.bin

K.O_Cruiser_Manual_almost_done.pdf

Lookin' good! One suggestion for the manual: listing the A/B switches as A/Expert, B/Novice for those of us with Sears consoles. :)

(Also, Tomato Ken's picture doesn't match the final binary.)

Doh! I'll fix the picture and label the switches A/Expert, B/Novice.

Congratulations Devin!

Ko Cruiser is a great game :)

I must be doing something wrong when trying to play the PAL version. Stella starts it up with the wrong colors, then when I hit ^F, it goes black-and-white.

Works fine for me, what Stella version have you?

Version 2.2 on Linux.

This one came out really well. It's got great graphics of course, and is very well-designed with a nice depth of play that surpasses many games from the succeeding console generations, let alone the Atari 2600. I hope this is the first of many such efforts from Devin.

(I still wish I could interrupt the victory tune, but you can't have it all, I guess.)

Out of curiosity, how are people handling Major Concussion at the end? I feel like when he goes into his rapidfire punches, there's nothing to do but either block rapidly -- and somehow that never quite seems to work -- or punch him endlessly, making him block without damage, until the end of the round. Is there a countermove I'm missing that can interrupt the punch-torrent?

Edited by thegoldenband

Version 2.2 on Linux.

It's an old version, the latest is 2.75

I think worth download the latest linux version : http://stella.sourceforge.net/

Out of curiosity, how are people handling Major Concussion at the end? I feel like when he goes into his rapidfire punches, there's nothing to do but either block rapidly -- and somehow that never quite seems to work -- or punch him endlessly, making him block without damage, until the end of the round. Is there a countermove I'm missing that can interrupt the punch-torrent?

I try to block many punches as possible while pushing to side, then only 1 punch can hit you, note in this move 3 or 4 punches don't take much damage.

Edited by LS_Dracon

• 1 month later...

Here is one final update. I fixed some timing issues on actual hardware.

This is a test version that still let's you select your opponent. I went ahead and added one feature that I planned in the sequels. When a punch is landed, sometimes the human or player would move and the other would not. This was a side effect of unsync frame delays when moving. The new version will "stick" the two together so moving is more consistent.

This binary allows you to select your opponent.

KO_Cruiser_2009_05_14_Test.bin

Edited by Devin

• 2 weeks later...