IGNORED

K.O. Cruiser - my first homebrew

Devin

Sorry to litter this thread with music WIP posts, but I've added a hi-hat and dub-style delayed snare to the track, and I think it works pretty well. Check it out:

boxingtheme_17.bas

boxingtheme_17.bas.bin

All this in only one voice, which is kinda cool! Devin, will this do the trick? (The code's a little variable-heavy, but could certainly be streamlined.)

Edited by thegoldenband

Sorry to litter this thread with music WIP posts, but I've added a hi-hat and dub-style delayed snare to the track, and I think it works pretty well. Check it out:

boxingtheme_17.bas

boxingtheme_17.bas.bin

All this in only one voice, which is kinda cool! Devin, will this do the trick? (The code's a little variable-heavy, but could certainly be streamlined.)

What can I play this with? I was able to and one point and time, but I either removed it or just plain forgot! Im getting old...lol

You won't be able to play the .bas file directly, but the .bin file should play just fine in the Atari 2600 emulator of your choice (at least, I hope it does!). I use Stella, myself.

Thats what I had..at one time...gotta DL again. I tried MESS didnt seen to find anything.

Thanks

Thanks! If you want to use it in the game, please do -- it'd be my pleasure. Here's the bBasic source code:

boxingtheme_8.bas

It's coded in an extremely un-economical way -- given the amount of repetition, it should be possible to streamline it tremendously.

EDIT: Here's a version with "snare drum" added:

boxingtheme_10.bas

boxingtheme_10.bas.bin

No worries about efficiently. I wrote the game in assembly, and will have to convert the program to my internal format. Thanks again for your great work.

Finally got around to trying this. Excellent work! Can't wait to see what it looks like when it's finished!

Re: The whole blue mat/green mat thing... you may want to have it change between the two depending on how your opponent is colored so they don't clash. It could be explained away as fights at different venues. The black background looks best.

Personally, I'd like see maybe one less opponent in the final product to free up space for the addition of a ring girl... ;)

This looks REALLY cool. Even without a mummy or a vampire. :D

After I finish the engine, I can create sequels by just updating the sprites and internal macros.

... I've already drawn a mummy. Perhaps a "haunted" sequel will be fun. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Here's an updated version of the program. Right now it is a tad playable, but lacks a few very important features (other boxers in particular).

• The first character's name is now officially "Tomato Ken". I gave him a special move called "Back-off and Ketchup". Yes, that's a bad pun. They will only get worse. You have been warned! :) Basically, he tip-toes to the back of the ring, then runs forward and throws a fast punch.
  • The ball/player position bug that Zach found on a real Atari should be fixed (knock on wood).
  • I finished the logic for the knockdowns and recoveries. Both the player and the computer maintain a "spirit" variable that is changed when you land a punch and are hit. This determines how hard it will be for both characters to recover. It also is used to set the health after recovery. The player needs to mash the button to recover.
  • I added the logic for the end of rounds. The system will wait for a button press before starting the next round.
  • The clock is set at double-time real life. Other boxing games also use accelerated clocks. Mike Tyson's Punchout uses x3.
  • I modified the player-hit sound. Might still need some work.
  • The internal macro engine has finally crystallized into its final version. As a result, I only need to work on the characters and loops.
  • The computer now has a special "ready to through a punch" graphic.

There are also some things I really need to add:

• There is a slight bug when the boxer throws a punch and you punch at the same time. The system will hit you, but the graphic will be the computer's block. This is an easy fix.
  • I still need to write some background music.
  • The computer can "float" a bit at the end of round. This is an easy fix.
  • I haven't added the three knockdown rule yet.
  • Also, the rounds never, ever, end at the moment. I need to fix the limit it at 3, 6, 12 or something like that.

KO_Cruiser_WIP_2008_10_06.bin

post-17256-1223370597_thumb.png

Edited by Devin

Did you decide not to use my tune, then? No worries if so, just asking...

I like the music. I think I will use a sped-up version for the knockdown music. Depending on how much of the bank I have left, I might have a different melody for each char.

A while back, I wrote an MIDI converter. I'm using a different sound engine now, so I do need to do some work on the converter. If the space issue works out, I might make Tomato Ken's music "The Banks of Sacramento" - which is an old shanty from the Gold Rush.

When the computer moves left or right there's something behind him (to his right) when I play this on my 7800. It's like part of his body doesn't move along with him. It's different than the last version I played.

Grrr. I evidently didn't fix the bug.

The blocky graphics are the ball graphic - I kinda cheat with it to get more colors for the computer player. Does the the ball line up with the human boxer or does the more recognizable pixels? In the picture, it looks like the ball is lining up and the pixels are off slightly. At least the bug half-fixed.... :)

Let me know if the blocks move smoothly or jump around erratically.

Edited by Devin

(looks at code) :o

(counts clock cycles before HMCLR) :|

(curses profusely) :mad:

I found it. I'm a few clock cycles shy before using HMCLR. I will fix it in the next version. It appears to only affect Player 1 (used for the computer's pixels).

Thanks for the heads up!

When the computer moves left or right there's something behind him (to his right) when I play this on my 7800. It's like part of his body doesn't move along with him. It's different than the last version I played.

I just uploaded a new version that fixes the "float" end of round issue, the block issue and, hopefully, the alignment bug that is only visible on a real Atari. Please let me know if it still malfunctions.

Have a great day.

KO_Cruiser_WIP_2008_10_09.bin

Hello again,

I thought you guys might like to tryout one of the more powerful characters in the game. I've attached a hacked version of the binary that has you fight "Wally B". He is ranked about halfway in the game as far as difficulty. His plot is fairly simple: he was once kicked in the head from kangaroo - and ever since has acted a tad "oddly".

I would like to hear your feedback on him. Also, his macro needs a little work.

I also changed the following:

• After 3 rounds, you will face the judges. You can either win or lose by decision. If you won the round, it will display a plus, a minus otherwise.
  • Added TKO logic.
  • Made some tweaks to hit logic.
  • Fixed the block bug.
  • Fixed the bug where computer can "float" a bit at the end of round.

post-17256-1223809955_thumb.png

KO_Cruiser_WIP_2008_10_012_hacked.bin

Feedback: I played 2 games of this version. In the first, I knocked him down and at the count of 9 he got up. Then he hit me and knocked me down. I got up at the count of 7. THen I knocked him out and won.

In the second game I knocked him out after to knock downs.

There are no body shots, correct? It seems that LEFT/RIGHT+BUTTON are left/right upper hooks, and DOWN+BUTTON is BLOCK. I never blocked yet, I just get out of the way. Then I return and nail the guy with several hits.

The game is already quite fun! THere doesn't seem to be enough difference in the movement patterns of these 2 fighters yet IMO. They are pretty easy to beat. I suppose in time the game would speed up and get more difficult though.

Graphically and audibly the game is fantastic so far, but I bet it could look even better with some shading light-to-dark or dark-to-light of the floor. I wonder if it would be possible (Not necessary because the game is already very nice) to have the floor color bands move slowly up or down as you move up and down on-screen? But I know that some seemingly innocent requests are often impossible for the programmer to pull off given the nature of the kernel & program.

I am impressed by the nice detail of the boxers most. Each of these 2 guys has his own look, and I like when Wally B gets his mean face on.

Keep up the EXCELLENT work!

There are no body shots, correct? It seems that LEFT/RIGHT+BUTTON are left/right upper hooks, and DOWN+BUTTON is BLOCK. I never blocked yet, I just get out of the way. Then I return and nail the guy with several hits.

Did you typically dodge left/right or move back?

The game is already quite fun! THere doesn't seem to be enough difference in the movement patterns of these 2 fighters yet IMO. They are pretty easy to beat. I suppose in time the game would speed up and get more difficult though.

Wally is using the same sub-macros for when he is hit and missed a punch. The walking was a copy n' paste from Tomato Ken. I will give Wally some combos such as right-right-LEFT ... or something like that. I can make any punch blockable or unblockable. I also want to give him a couple move where he jumps to the left, then back to the right before punching.

Graphically and audibly the game is fantastic so far, but I bet it could look even better with some shading light-to-dark or dark-to-light of the floor. I wonder if it would be possible (Not necessary because the game is already very nice) to have the floor color bands move slowly up or down as you move up and down on-screen? But I know that some seemingly innocent requests are often impossible for the programmer to pull off given the nature of the kernel & program.

:) I think I have done as much as I possible can for the ring graphics. I am sooooooo close to the time limit now.

The ring is read from a buffer, I can change the bands, albeit quite statically.

I am impressed by the nice detail of the boxers most. Each of these 2 guys has his own look, and I like when Wally B gets his mean face on.

Wait to you see Sergent-Major Concussion! ;)

I had enough time to move far to the left or right once I saw the mean look. Can you "dodge" or do you mean just move normally to the left or right?

That is what I meant. sorry. You don't have any special moves besides moving and throwing left and right punches. Anyway, dodging left and right is basically how I fight him.

When I finally get around to giving him some left-left-right combos, dodging might be a tad difficult. :)

Edited by Devin