IGNORED

HSC Season 5 Week 25: Communist Mutants from Space

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

The evil ruler of the planet Rooskee has launched a diabolical attack. A cunning Mother Creature, filled with irradiated vodka, transforms helpless slaves captured on peaceful planets into bloodthirsty COMMUNIST MUTANTS.

The Commie Mutants attack like crazy! Wipe out wave after wave of them, and they keep on coming. And the more you vaporize, the nastier they get. You've got trouble.

s_CommunistMutantsFromSpace_3.png

Game Information
  • Game Name: Communist Mutants From Space
  • Released By: Starpath, 1982
  • Left Difficulty: B / Novice - Faster Movement
  • Right Difficulty: No Effect in Single Player Mode
  • Difficulty: 1
  • Shields: On
  • Time Warp: On
  • Penetrating Fire: OFF
  • Guided Fire: Your Choice
  • Game Mode: Default
  • Chosen By: LarcenTyler

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday, Mar 5th at 1:00 AM (CST).

Current High Scores
  1. 108,240 (toymailman) [+11]
  2. 88,710 (Nathan Strum) [+10]
  3. 81,300 (Deteacher) [+9]
  4. 75,670 (SpiceWare) [+8]
  5. 64,980 (aftermac) [+7]
  6. 53,940 (Captain Beard) [+6]
  7. 46,130 (Kurt_Woloch) [+5]
  8. 34,560 (Impaler_26) [+4]
  9. 27,020 (ed1475) [+3]
  10. 20,190 (keilbaca) [+2]
  11. 18,500 (theking21083) [+1]
  12. 13,110 (Shannon) [+1]
  13. 12,950 (LarcenTyler) [+1]

Best Tips
  • Nathan Strum [+2]

Challenges
  • None

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 12,010 (Rodrigo Lopes)
Game 1, Difficulty B)
Current Standings

1. Deteacher [242]
  2. toymailman [216]
  3. keilbaca [153]
  4. theking21083 [102]
  5. Captain Beard [102]
  6. homerwannabee [90]
  7. PressureCooker2600 [86]
  8. Impaler_26 [84]
  9. Kurt_Woloch [77]
  10. Nathan Strum [61]
  11. rheffera [57]
  12. aftermac [56]
  13. Recycled [44]
  14. Mister VCS [44]
  15. Gemini [41]
  16. Bentley Bear! [40]
  17. phaxda [40]
  18. SpiceWare [39]
  19. DarthCalvin [36]
  20. Blackjack [35]
  21. Christophero Sly [35]
  22. LarcenTyler [33]
  23. midnight magicman [26]
  24. shadow460 [25]
  25. Rom Hunter [23]
  26. Butterwasp [18]
  27. the 5th ghost [17]
  28. ed1475 [15]
  29. theKLT [12]
  30. lucifershalo [11]
  31. godzillajoe [11]
  32. Artlover [9]
  33. Dauber [9]
  34. doctorclu [8]
  35. keitaro [7]
  36. Goochman [6]
  37. atari2600land [6]
  38. Omegamatrix [6]
  39. vintagegamecrazy [5]
  40. chuckwalla [5]
  41. Nognir [5]
  42. MrBeefy [5]
  43. Crazy Climber [3]
  44. SeaGtGruff [3]
  45. cosmosiss [2]
  46. Shannon [2]
  47. lonewolfette9847 [2]
  48. gospeedde [2]
  49. Phantom [2]
  50. Snider-man [2]
  51. EricDeLee [1]
  52. RJ [1]
  53. [d2f]Iggy*SJB [1]
  54. HatNJ [1]
  55. KaeruYojimbo [1]

Scoring Points in Communist Mutants from Space
  • Mother Creature - 500 Points
  • Diving Mutant Attackers - 60 Points
  • Mutant Eggs - 10 Points
  • Clearing the screen of Mutant Attackers (earns a "flag") - 100 Points
  • Bonus cannons are awarded on each odd-numbered wave of mutant attacks.

Hints and Tips
  • Start each wave by activating the time warp, and take out the Gorf-thing at the top of the screen.
  • After taking out the Gorf-thing, activate your shields. You can take out most of the rest of the wave.
  • You get one shield and time warp per wave, per life. So if you die midway through a wave, reactivate the time warp and shields again to finish them off.
  • You get a new life every other wave - it's not based on points.
  • Don't trap yourself in the corner. They'll cross the screen to crash into you.
The Manual
As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy and a scanned copy available online for your viewing pleasure. Unfortunately, the manual doesn't provide any specific hints.
Nathan Strum
A few tips:
Deteacher
I noticed that if you lose your last ship as the last alien is leaving the screen, you will still get the bonus life (provided it's an odd numbered wave) and you be allowed to continue.
Nathan Strum
Activate the time warp just as the Gorf-thing is moving to the left edge of the formation. You can clear out several bricks on that side, and usually end up with a clear shot at him before he has a chance to fill in the holes.

After 60,000 points, the space bricks start dropping directly down on you - very fast - from the formation, without morphing into aliens. So don't hang out under the formation, or you're dead.

On the plus side, since the formation starts clearing out so fast after that, you don't have to survive as long in order to clear a wave, so in a weird way, it actually becomes a little easier. Provided you can take out the Gorf-thing, and can use your shields at the right time. (For what it's worth - it seems there's a slight delay when you activate your shields, either that or the game is cheap-shotting me sometimes.)

--Zero

Beware the evil space rectangles!! (Remember, SuperCharger games have superior graphics! :roll: )

I'll start:

post-2641-1204105726_thumb.png

A few tips:

• Start each wave by activating the time warp, and take out the Gorf-thing at the top of the screen.
  • After taking out the Gorf-thing, activate your shields. You can take out most of the rest of the wave.
  • You get one shield and time warp per wave, per life. So if you die midway through a wave, reactivate the time warp and shields again to finish them off.
  • You get a new life every other wave - it's not based on points.
  • Don't trap yourself in the corner. They'll cross the screen to crash into you.

First submission for the week: 14,090.

I noticed that if you lose your last ship as the last alien is leaving the screen, you will still get the bonus life (provided it's an odd numbered wave) and you be allowed to continue.

This game is fun. It's too bad I'm relegated to playing on emu, though. Time to hook up the ol' X-Arcade. :)

post-9712-1204140644_thumb.png

Edited by Deteacher

So, this week we not only get space invaders, but they're also communists?!? Rumor has it that this game planted the seed for Ronald Reagan to give his infamous "Star Wars" speech... at least that's what I heard. :D

I played maybe 40 times and couldn't break 20,000. I also played with the sound muted, because I usually play at work. This is the first time I've played with the sound on and not only did I break 20,000... I broke 30,000! Coincidence? Hmm...

post-17553-1204247013_thumb.png

Better...

post-2641-1204259353_thumb.png

Another tip: Activate the time warp just as the Gorf-thing is moving to the left edge of the formation. You can clear out several bricks on that side, and usually end up with a clear shot at him before he has a chance to fill in the holes.

Edited by Nathan Strum

Are you guys using guided or straight missiles?

I seem to get better scores (though not as much as some of you) using guided missiles. I find it easier to kill the thing at the top by waiting until it is at the edge of the eggs, hitting the time warp, and guiding a missile over the edge to kill it. I'm just curious what everyone else prefers.