IGNORED

HSC Season 5 Week 26: Planet Patrol

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

Your assignment is to patrol your planet day and night. As you fly your space craft you must avoid enemy fire and destroy their spaceships. Don't forget to refuel occasionally or this could make your mission a short one. Beware of sunset because as soon as the night creeps in, the dark makes your task become impossible.

s_PlanetPatrol_2.png

Game Information
  • Game Name: Planet Patrol
  • Released By: Spectravision, 1982
  • Left Difficulty: N/A
  • Right Difficulty: N/A
  • Game Mode: 1 - One Player, Slow
  • Chosen By: theking21083

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday, Mar 12th at 1:00 AM (CST).

Current High Scores
  1. 23,500 (aftermac) [+11]
  2. 18,880 (toymailman) [+10]
  3. 18,020 (keilbaca) [+9]
  4. 11,250 (Captain Beard) [+8]
  5. 11,010 (Gemini) [+7]
  6. 10,950 (Deteacher) [+6]
  7. 8980 (theking21083) [+5]
  8. 8940 (SpiceWare) [+4]
  9. 7860 (doctorclu) [+3]
  10. 7060 (Nathan Strum) [+2]
  11. 6810 (Impaler_26) [+1]
  12. 6790 (cosmosiss) [+1]
  13. 4250 (Kurt_Woloch) [+1][+2]
  14. 3980 (Bentley Bear!) [+1]
  15. 3750 (ed1475) [+1]
  16. 3300 (LarcenTyler)[+1]

Best Tips
  • Tie: aftermac & Gemini [+2]

Challenges
  • None

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 18,280 (Robert T Mruczek)
  2. 13,870 (Mark Rupprecht)
  3. 10,120 (Mike Nail)
Game 1, Difficulty B)
Current Standings

1. Deteacher [251]
  2. toymailman [227]
  3. keilbaca [155]
  4. Captain Beard [108]
  5. theking21083 [103]
  6. homerwannabee [90]
  7. Impaler_26 [88]
  8. PressureCooker2600 [86]
  9. Kurt_Woloch [82]
  10. Nathan Strum [73]
  11. aftermac [63]
  12. rheffera [57]
  13. SpiceWare [47]
  14. Recycled [44]
  15. Mister VCS [44]
  16. Gemini [41]
  17. Bentley Bear! [40]
  18. phaxda [40]
  19. DarthCalvin [36]
  20. Blackjack [35]
  21. Christophero Sly [35]
  22. LarcenTyler [34]
  23. midnight magicman [26]
  24. shadow460 [25]
  25. Rom Hunter [23]
  26. Butterwasp [18]
  27. ed1475 [18]
  28. the 5th ghost [17]
  29. theKLT [12]
  30. lucifershalo [11]
  31. godzillajoe [11]
  32. Artlover [9]
  33. Dauber [9]
  34. doctorclu [8]
  35. keitaro [7]
  36. Goochman [6]
  37. atari2600land [6]
  38. Omegamatrix [6]
  39. vintagegamecrazy [5]
  40. chuckwalla [5]
  41. Nognir [5]
  42. MrBeefy [5]
  43. Shannon [3]
  44. Crazy Climber [3]
  45. SeaGtGruff [3]
  46. cosmosiss [2]
  47. lonewolfette9847 [2]
  48. gospeedde [2]
  49. Phantom [2]
  50. Snider-man [2]
  51. EricDeLee [1]
  52. RJ [1]
  53. [d2f]Iggy*SJB [1]
  54. HatNJ [1]
  55. KaeruYojimbo [1]

Scoring Points in Planet Patrol
  • Shooting an enemy plane - 10 x Level no.
  • Docking with black plane - 100 x Level no.
  • Shooting the 3 refueling depots - 200 x Level no. (only gets applied after shooting the last one)
  • You get a free life every 10,000 points, with a maximum of 4 at any time.
  • A "Level", as stated in the manual, consists of enemy plane stage with docking possibility at the end, shooting the enemy refueling depots, passing the mine field and landing for refueling. If you die while doing a level, you get reset to the start of the level with the next ship, and your fuel amount doesn't increase (!!!). If you run out of fuel, you don't die immediately, but you can't shoot anymore, so running out of fuel at night will still lead to your death since you can't see the enemy anmore.
  • Thanks to Kurt_Woloch for figuring out the scoring! [+2]

Hints and Tips
The Manual
As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy available online for your viewing pleasure. Unfortunately, the manual doesn't provide any specific hints, and is actually mostly useless.
Kurt_Woloch
This game seems to have a few bugs... there are anomalies in the movement of enemy planes and bullets (seems like they screwed up the horizontal positioning routine a bit), and the refueling tank doesn't move smoothly at all. In addition to that, the minefield sometimes is impossible to pass, the number of scanlines the screen consists of is inconsistent, and there also seem to be errors from time to time in displaying your ship making it look a bit funky at times.
Captain Beard
If all you care about is your score, die when you're near the end of level 4. You'll get a lot more points replaying that level then you will dying quickly on the next.

I've found the extreme top and bottom to be relatively safe. This is because they are the only positions where a shot fired at an oncoming ship is guaranteed to hit. The collision detection problems only arise when you move away from these two extremes.
Deteacher
when it gets dark, you can see the enemies when you fire, so hold the fire button down so you can maximize your view of the playfield.

I did a little experiment last night with level one. It seemed like I was always scoring 150 points when the black ship came out. This led me to think you HAD to shoot down a certain number of ships before the stranded plane would come out (toymailman has also confirmed this). So, I started over and didn't fire a single shot. When the stranded plane came out, I realized that the levels are time based. So:

I would suggest on the harder levels (level 5 comes to mind) that you focus more on avoiding the planes/missles, rather than try to shoot them for points. If your goal is to survive the level, that might be the best course of action (but I have yet to try that, so I don't know for sure yet.)
aftermac
As with most shooters try to stay toward the center of the screen, so you don't get trapped on an edge.

After docking with the black rescue ship, immediately move your ship to either the top or bottom of the screen. This will save you a couple seconds when you face the 3 green base stations. If you start with your ship in the middle of the screen you might have to go from the center, to the top, then to the bottom. This way you are already at the top or bottom.

I don't want to fully retract my previous tip about staying in the center for better dodging, but I DID just beat level 5 by hugging the bottom.

I immediately went to the bottom of the screen and held down fire... I've found this easier than the top, because it's easier to look down than up. once the enemies start attacking, I shoot the planes and "bunny hop" the missiles. You have to be extremely quick and precise with your "hops" and 9 out of 10 games you WILL eventually hit a plane when "hopping" a missile (hence, why I don't want to retract my previous tip). However, every now and again the enemies will line up just right, so this doesn't happen. Either way, you can still rack up some big points. I've gotten as many as 3000 points on a single life WITHOUT beating the level. Unfortunately, you will eventually run out of fuel.

After level 5, you go to "level 2"... 20 points per ship and a night time level. The next level ships are 30 points...
Gemini
1. HOLD FIRE BEFORE YOU START AND NEVER LET GO. Seriously, you lose more fuel but you're more likely to hit targets you face head on because of the timing. If you start firing the exact instant you begin approaching enemies or bases your shots are less likely to skip over targets when you aim at their thickest spots and will behave that way forever... so long as you keep the fire button held. Let go for just a little and you'll throw this timing off. (NOTE: It isn't perfect, but it is better.)

2. At the very start of the level, fly to the top or bottom while holding the fire button. Once the enemies advance you'll either be facing a ship or a missile. If it's a ship, stay where you are. If it's not, move down a row. If you shoot the ship and a missile appears you'll have more than enough space to dodge it.

3. When you shoot something in a particular row another thing will immediately appear in that row. Sometimes you can stay in a row for four or more effortless hits before you need to dodge a missile.

4. Almost forgot. There's actually enough space between each row to fly straight between two missiles incoming side by side! It's tricky considering the scanline issues the game has, but not so hard it can't be done routinely with plenty of practice.

5. The number of enemy ships that can appear in each level is pre-determined. This is why you will sometimes come across a barrage of enemy ships at the end of a level, or a barrage of missiles. This happens because either the end is approaching and there's too many enemy ships left, or the number of enemy ships runs out before the end approaches.

6. Your fuel only goes down if you're firing your gun. If you hit the red zone, stop firing so that you'll have some shots left for the bases at the end of the level.

--Zero

OK, here's my first submission... 4250.

post-8393-1204737413_thumb.png

I also figured out the scoring, which goes like this...

Shooting an enemy plane... 10 x Level no.

Docking with black plane... 100 x Level no.

Shooting the 3 refueling depots... 200 x Level no. (only gets applied after shooting the last one)

A "Level", as stated in the manual, consists of enemy plane stage with docking possibility at the end, shooting the enemy refueling depots, passing the mine field and landing for refueling. If you die while doing a level, you get reset to the start of the level with the next ship, and your fuel amount doesn't increase (!!!). If you run out of fuel, you don't die immediately, but you can't shoot anymore, so running out of fuel at night will still lead to your death since you can't see the enemy anmore.

This game seems to have a few bugs... there are anomalies in the movement of enemy planes and bullets (seems like they screwed up the horizontal positioning routine a bit), and the refueling tank doesn't move smoothly at all. In addition to that, the minefield sometimes is impossible to pass, the number of scanlines the screen consists of is inconsistent, and there also seem to be errors from time to time in displaying your ship making it look a bit funky at times.

And the game already gets hard at level 3, which probably means I won't play it any more than that.

To add to the list of bugs, I've noticed that occasionally your bullets will go right through those 3 green base station things. That pretty much sucks, since this part is so time critical.

EDIT: I'd like to expand on that thought a bit... WORST COLLISION DETECTION EVER!!! :x :x :x

I'm gonna have to dig this cart out when I'm at home and see if it plays this bad on actual hardware. I never really played this game as a kid because I didn't have the manual and I always ran out of fuel... :ponder:

post-17553-1204746917_thumb.png

Edited by aftermac

I agree, "five's a bitch, then you die!" :D

I'm gonna have to dig this cart out when I'm at home and see if it plays this bad on actual hardware.

I can save you the trouble -- it does.

Thanks... and congrats on that extra life! ;)

King, you are one sadistic dude for picking this one. :)

post-17553-1204761498_thumb.png

I agree, "five's a bitch, then you die!" :D

I'm gonna have to dig this cart out when I'm at home and see if it plays this bad on actual hardware.

I can save you the trouble -- it does.

Thanks... and congrats on that extra life! ;)

King, you are one sadistic dude for picking this one. :)

post-17553-1204761498_thumb.png

I always have fun playing this game. I guess I am the only one.

I always have fun playing this game. I guess I am the only one.

The game itself isn't that bad... and it actually has some pretty cool aspects. My only problem with it is that I expect the enemies to die when I shoot them. A bit of quality control would have gone a long way.

Edited by aftermac

One more thing, when will the Toyshop Trouble week commense for people who didn't get to play earlier?

Hopefully within the next week or two. I just ordered it from the store. Not sure how long it takes to receive (this is my first order) but with a little luck, I'll get a little practice in before the competition resumes. ;)

As for PP, I'll agree with all the comments above, but it's kind of fun. I managed a score in the 8K range last night, but I'll wait to post a screenie because I know I can improve on that score. I actually like this game better than last week's game. Communist Mutants was too erratic for my taste.

A quick tip, even though it might be an obvious one to some: when it gets dark, you can see the enemies when you fire, so hold the fire button down so you can maximize your view of the playfield.

Marginal improvement.

Tip: As with most shooters try to stay toward the center of the screen, so you don't get trapped on an edge.

Tip: After docking with the black rescue ship, immediately move your ship to either the top or bottom of the screen. This will save you a couple seconds when you face the 3 green base stations. If you start with your ship in the middle of the screen you might have to go from the center, to the top, then to the bottom. This way you are already at the top or bottom.

post-17553-1204830820_thumb.png

Tip: As with most shooters try to stay toward the center of the screen, so you don't get trapped on an edge.
Actually, I've found the extreme top and bottom to be relatively safe. This is because they are the only positions where a shot fired at an oncoming ship is guaranteed to hit. The collision detection problems only arise when you move away from these two extremes.

Actually, I've found the extreme top and bottom to be relatively safe. This is because they are the only positions where a shot fired at an oncoming ship is guaranteed to hit. The collision detection problems only arise when you move away from these two extremes.

I do agree with that point, but the top and bottom are not ideal for dodging... especially on level 5. There have been several times that I was at the top or bottom when a missile was coming at me and the only place I had to go was into the side of an enemy plane. Personally, I've had better luck dodging if I stay towards the middle. It's still early in the week, so there's plenty of time to try both methods. :)

I do agree with that point, but the top and bottom are not ideal for dodging... especially on level 5.

I don't have much success dodging at level 5 no matter where I am on the screen!

I don't think I've had a ship last more than 12 seconds on that level in all the games I've played.

Like you say, it's early in the week...

Blah. Interesting game concepts but horrid execution and lackluster gameplay totally ruin any hope this game has. Here's my pathetic attempt to enjoy this game...

post-14189-1204859955_thumb.jpg

Bring on next week's game... :roll:

Edited by Bentley Bear!

So far I don't have a score good enough to report because the instant demise of ALL lives when you reach the green bases is plaguing me when one of my shots doesn't register... x_x;

This game is a buggy, headache inducing, rage building POS. Likely the result of being rushed to release it; something that has made many potentially awesome games awful.

But, I do have a few tips:

1. HOLD FIRE BEFORE YOU START AND NEVER LET GO. Seriously, you lose more fuel but you're more likely to hit targets you face head on because of the timing. If you start firing the exact instant you begin approaching enemies or bases your shots are less likely to skip over targets when you aim at their thickest spots and will behave that way forever... so long as you keep the fire button held. Let go for just a little and you'll throw this timing off. (NOTE: It isn't perfect, but it is better.)

2. At the very start of the level, fly to the top or bottom while holding the fire button. Once the enemies advance you'll either be facing a ship or a missile. If it's a ship, stay where you are. If it's not, move down a row. If you shoot the ship and a missile appears you'll have more than enough space to dodge it.

3. When you shoot something in a particular row another thing will immediately appear in that row. Sometimes you can stay in a row for four or more effortless hits before you need to dodge a missile.

4. Almost forgot. There's actually enough space between each row to fly straight between two missiles incoming side by side! It's tricky considering the scanline issues the game has, but not so hard it can't be done routinely with plenty of practice.

I'll post a score later. At the moment, I want to break 10,000 first since I'm so close... x_x;

Edited by Gemini