IGNORED

Mission X

Rom Hunter

Okay, first off, if you have never opened up an M-Network cart before, PRACTICE FIRST. I made the mistake of just diving in and managed to make a small crack below the tab, creating a nice tampered-with look. Then I went to work on an Armor Attack, figured out how easy it really was, and finished the job. Then had some fun... (Back to that later.)

First off, take a guess which one was inside the Mission X:

post-9507-1207105100_thumb.jpg

Figured it out???

post-9507-1207105120_thumb.jpgpost-9507-1207105137_thumb.jpgpost-9507-1207105151_thumb.jpg

Yep, it really is that boring. I don't see how this could possibly be any kind of prototype. Probably just a dead board that was used as filler.

But now that I figured out how easy it is to open these things up, I made a little something for myself:

post-9507-1207105167_thumb.jpg

Kind of cool.....

Interesting.

I don't have too much knowledge of boards and chips though.

CPUWIZ, any idea?

BTW: how long ago did you create that He-Man label?

Looks very 'genuine'.

It's even got Acti(Matti?) - plaque.

Hmm.

I'm starting to worry about that Mission X label now...

Please tell me I don't have to.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Interesting.

I don't have too much knowledge of boards and chips though.

CPUWIZ, any idea?

BTW: how long ago did you create that He-Man label?

Looks very 'genuine'.

It's even got Acti(Matti?) - plaque.

Hmm.

I'm starting to worry about that Mission X label now...

Please tell me I don't have to.

8)

that heman label is legit. and if that is actually mission x on that chip I bet it can be dumped. Gonna have to to take it apart tho.

Just to clarify...

But now that I figured out how easy it is to open these things up, I made a little something for myself:

post-9507-1207105167_thumb.jpg

Kind of cool.....

When I said I "made" something, all I did was rip the guts out of an Intellivision He-Man and stick the shell on the base of a 2600 M-Network He-Man that I had just taken apart. I did that last night as I was trying to figure out how to get the Mission X open. Sorry for any confusion. The orange label He-Man is not a real label release for the 2600 and is not some kind of rare label variation. Just me playing around. The Mission X remains as it was originally found.

I really doubt it.

Are there more VCS Mattel pcb's known that look like this?

8)

Most of them, that's why I told you I would need to open quite a few to find out which title it is, since it isn't Mission X.

Makes sense.

Can someone shed some light on that board, please?

What exactly is it?

8)

the little one in the mission x case is a 2600 pcb. If mission x is actually on that chip is the mystery.

It'd be interesting to find out exactly what's on there (if anything), but don't get too excited. According to Keith Robinson (Blue Sky Rangers), the 2600 version of Mission X never made it to the coding stage.

Ok, so what we have here is a confirmed Intellivision end label in what's most probably an Intellivision cart, upgraded with a plastic VCS cart extention and with a VCS Mattel pcb inside (most probably from another VCS Mattel game).

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

...And my original suspicions from back when I found the Mission X cart have now resurfaced. (See link earlier in the thread.) No one fessed up when I first reported it, though, and no one has claimed to have created this cart in the meantime. Because of where and when it was found, I truly believe it may be something legit created by Mattel, but I also know how easy it would have been to forge this seeing how little effort it took for me to swap the He-Man shells.

If nothing else, at least it is a good conversation piece for my collection.