IGNORED

HSC Season 5 Week 32: Adventures of Tron

Ze_ro

Well, that inspired me to get THE BOSS stick back out and play in between Stanley cup periods...

70,400 and I KNOW I can clear this board. Probably not till I sober up though! :D

post-6271-1208654097_thumb.jpg

At these levels you NEED to jump tanks from time to time. There's really no other good way to get up to the top. Also, I have had to use the dread arrow transporter from time to time but only when I know if I miss it it's not a big deal and that there's an escape hatch if I miss it (usually just dropping straight down). You also need to go straight at the tanks that are about to wrap around at you sometimes and then drop down immediately as they hit your level, usually right as the tank below you is passing by. It's a precise maneuver!

This was the first Atari game I ever played, at my second cousin's house in NJ. We were there for a reunions and all I did was play Atari and this was THEIR favorite game so it became one of mine.

Edited by phaxda

this game is tough. i've never owned or really played this game too much so it was very difficult at first. but i went from 400 points this morning to this new high. i'm starting to really dig this game

post-12703-1208654802_thumb.jpg

this game is driving me mad! i've tied my score four times in the last two hours but i can't seem to break that barrier. i keep choking goddam it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by opeygon

No pic, but it's only a slight bump from my old score.

Could some one list the top 5 scores so far?

Give me something to shoot for when I fire up the

2600 in a few moments ;) Thanks !!!!

If you are shooting for the top 5 it's gonna take at least 40,000. I played for about 5 hours last night and only managed to improve my score by a couple thousand. :(

No pic, but it's only a slight bump from my old score.

Could some one list the top 5 scores so far?

Give me something to shoot for when I fire up the

2600 in a few moments ;) Thanks !!!!

If you are shooting for the top 5 it's gonna take at least 40,000. I played for about 5 hours last night and only managed to improve my score by a couple thousand. :(

Yea, I think I've already given up on this one ;)

Gonna keep workin on my Ms. Pac-Man score though.

Good luck to all who try to get a high score on this crazy ass game :thumbsup:

I think this might be the last night I get to play and after a solid 2 hours of playtime, I finally beat my previous high. At one point, I thought to myself "I think this is about as difficult as it can get" and then promptly died twice in a row trying to get a bit on the THIRD level of all things. Very frustrating because now I know I can clear this board if I play long enough, but I am not sure I'll have the time. I really think 100k is possible.

post-6271-1208755278_thumb.jpg

Edited by phaxda

OK, I have a problem. I am seriously addicted to this game. Again.

I had a lot of work I was supposed to do today (I'm freelancing these days) but one thing led to another and now I am playing this again. I'm thinking about submitting to Twin Galaxies--I even found an old videotape to use. So the best score this morning is 83,800.

This game is all about risk avoidance. Because there is no timer, there's no need to jump at bits if there's any chance you'll die. The right time will come; you just need to wait. It's taken me probably 10 minutes to clear a board before, just because I am jumping around waiting for that right moment where I know I can get the bit without interference, so that the space opens up where I have that half second to jump and then bail to a lower level easily before the big bad tanks come out the side. Every time I die, it's because of something that was avoidable, usually mis-timed jumps.

That's one part of the patience. The other is the crappy collision detection. I honestly would not be surprised if somehow it was intentional because it gets you all ticked off that you HAD that bit, but for whatever reason it didn't register. The key is to not expect to grab the bit. I always assume I'll miss it, so that instead of being disappointed in NOT picking it up, I'm happy when I do pick one up. It requires a glass half-full mentality, I think.

One tip I forgot before: when jumping tanks, do it from the middle of the playfield. The tanks can only fire one shot at a time, until the first shot goes off of the board. If you're on the edge you can easily hop the first shot, but when the tank reloads you're going to have to jump the next shot AND the tank as it comes at you, which is often a losing proposition. But if you're in the middle you can just jump the first shot fired and then hop the tank itself as the bullet (shell, mortar, whatever) is behind you.

Also, I think some games are easier after a couple of beers. I've discovered that this isn't one of them.

Thus concludes my essay "On Tron."

post-6271-1208799057_thumb.jpg

Edited by phaxda

My only tip is that when you are on the elevators, AND when they are moving, you will not die when you touch a baddy. So sometimes you can hop on one at the last second and still not die.

The collision detection on this game absolutely sucks. Follow the advice posted earlier. If you turn your guy so he is facing away from the bit and then jump up while it is passing over you. You'll be more likely to get it (no 100% guarantee, though). :)

Fairly addicting game. But like every other HSC game the week is over by the time I start getting the hang of it.

Let me be the first to say "Congrat-u-fuckin-lations!"

Very impressive.

I've hit a wall.

Pretty much every game I come close to my previously posted score but choke just before breaking it.

Nice pick, though -- I definitely like this game better after this week than I thought I did going in.

What more can we ask from HSC club?

Well, I am done for the week. My goal was 100k and I finally got there. I have to admit, I am now rather sick of this game.

One of my better video game accomplishments, though.

post-6271-1208895900_thumb.jpg

VERY Impressive. I keep hitting a wall around 43k. Maybe some beer will help me past hopefully 50k.

I'm glad you liked my pick, the game isn't very fun on B, I actually die more because it moves too slow, I get bored.